ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drilling CPU heatsink

Hi all

Do you think placing some strategically placed holes on the bottom of the heatsink between the cooling fins (maybe some on the lower half of the fins too) will help heat dissapation? My theory behind it is the more surface area the better.

Any thoughts appreciated

Not between the mating surfaces obviously, but around the base or fins. Say 2-3 mm?

Why don't you think it'l work?

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Clearly a bad idea. Heatsinks are generally made for optimal heat dissappation already. So no point in "diying" a heatsink. If you wish a cooler option, please go invest in a proper heatsink (ie costs £40+ upwards) which is designed to cool in a more generous way.

Don't bother, if it was going to work then they would have done it anyway.

Its a Dell........................................................................

Do you really think they would do anything that costs a few more pence,

Its OCed hence the excess heat, but I am limited to the stock heatsink due to the setup, so I was seeing if anyone could inspire me lol :cool:

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Don't bother, if it was going to work then they would have done it anyway.

Its a Dell........................................................................

Its OCed hence the excess heat, but I am limited to the stock heatsink due to the setup, so I was seeing if anyone could inspire me lol :cool:

Not really, just get a new heatsink and fan, job done. Its all standard kit, you may need to remove the exhaust plastic but thats easy to remove.

Not really, just get a new heatsink and fan, job done. Its all standard kit, you may need to remove the exhaust plastic but thats easy to remove.

You cant put a non OEM on there though the exhaust plastic holds the HS onto the CPU. So I'd be restricted to Dell ones lol.

if its solid as in thick it would increase the surface area as you have the inside surface of the hole as extra surface area

but if you drill a hole in a .5mm thick bit of metal your going to loose more than you gain imho

Its probably about 5-6mm thick the base, its a gash HS.

I'll get some piccies when I'm home I cant find any on the interweb (although I have before) its a Dimension E521

?
Just remove the heatsink / exhaust (case exhausts are crap imo).

Buy a decent heatsink/fan combo.

Buy a few more case fans if you arnt already using up all the space, or if you are then buy stronger case fans with higher airflow rates.

Job done.

Black 172...KN53EL*
Yeah, but the hole through the heatsink, although technically it's more surface area, it's radiant heat that gonna do nothing other than heat the area around it, plus you're loosing surface area from the holes you've drilled, effectively reducing the heat dissipation

172 Cup
I can see what you're trying to achieve but while it will add minimal surface area it will drastically cut the thermal efficiently of the heatsink by reducing the thermal transfer from the cpu to the cooling fins.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah, not a great idea...

You'd just be swapping thermal mass for surface area so you wouldn't achieve anything.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Leave it well alone. Someone paid a lot of money spent a fair bit of time designing the heatsink/fan/case combination to achieve better than Intel/AMD's recommended specifications for it.

Unless you're going for a proper aftermarket solution, the only thing you can do that'll improve it is to lap the heatsink (and CPU if you've got balls) and use a better Thermal Interface material. Coollaboratory Liquid Pro is as good as you'll get, but unless both surfaces are near perfect (Heatsink lapped at an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM) then it'll be no use - if that's the case go with something like AS7 or Ceramique as they're much easier to use - and be very sparing! It only needs to meet both faces, not make a jam sandwich out of them.

I have lapped both the CPU and HS, upto 1200 grit (no point going finer than this)

I have some of this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150271030496

Any good?

My plan was to apply it thinly with my finger (inside a bag) then wipe both surfaces off with a MF towel hopefully this will be okay.

I will get some pics of the lapping it was deffo worth doing, the CPU was concave, much flatter now :) although I didnt remove all the nickel just enough to satisty the lot was flat

172 Cup
Don't use your finger.

All you need is a small amount (about the size/thickness of a grain of rice) right in the centre* and as you attach/seat the heatsink just twist it left and right slightly.

* - Based on the assumption it's not a multicore cpu.

I saw that on another website actually but I wouldnt have thought it would get equal distribution between the 2 components, I'll do some tests and see which one provides the best result at 100% CPU usage

Thanks for the advice though

Its a dual core AMD yep

Better than yours. C*nt.
I personally have had the best results with a business card or old debit card, tiniest spot of it on the CPU and spread it as thin as possible without having breaks in the cover. That way you get the best contact all over.

Had up to 10 degree reductions in comparison to just sticking a small amount on the CPU and sticking it on as you can never be certain that it's just the right amount.

For 'naked' dies it's much easier...