ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Double spoiler problems

I have just bought a Double spoiler for my Cup and am now worried if I have made the right decision!!! Dont get me wrong, in my opinion it looks much better than the std Cup spoiler, but I have just found previous posts which complain of warping in high temperatures causing it to catch when opening the tailgate.

I get mine back from the bodyshop today after 4 (yes four!!) days for fitting and painting. Entirely Renualts fault for a) not suppling me with the correct washer nozzle and b) not supplying me with the correct brake light! Each time, the bodyshop have had to wait for the replacement part to be ordered. Now I find posts suggesting that after all that, there is the possiblilty that it is going to warp!

Is this warping typical or have the guys who are complaining been just unlucky or perhaps have had the spoiler fitted incorrectly?

The spolier + the nozzle and lamp cost about £170 incl VAT. My Renault dealer does not have its own bodyshop so they use a local one approved by them for all painting and fitting. I dread to think how much they are going to charge for that considering how long they have had it!!

So, to get back on topic, has anyone who has fitted a double spoiler had any of the problems with warping/ catching mentioned or are these just isolated incidents??

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I have trouble in very hot weather with catching. I have to be careful when opening it. But overall its not really a problem. They should have been made out of better materials, but mine is a couple of years old, they may have fixed that problem by now?

AFAIK jillys was a complete nightmare to get fitted

dont quote me on that though

last time i seen it, there was no problems that were visual

Looks like they have new problems now.....the brake light supplied by Renault doesnt fit! Im not sure whats going on with it until I pick my car up tonight but it will means I will have to take it back (again !!) when they have found out why! All I have to show for my car being off the road for 4 days is one painted un-fitted spoiler! The garage have already spent a lot of time on this for which somebody is going to have to pay for..... and it aint going to be me!!!!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

The standard brake light on a 172 doesnt fit in the spoiler. It has to be one from the non-172 clios. I had to order one for mine when I realised it didnt fit. I also had to order a sprayer as it didnt come with one!

It took 2 of us about 5 hours to fit mine, and we had to drill the holes bigger on the boot. Basically its a crap fit without a bit of work, but can look good when done!

I know about the lamp and nozzle , my Renault dealer supplied me with the parts as described in the instructions. Its just that the lamp they supplied doesnt fit either!

7.6cc :D

I havent had any problems with warping, and the only problem Renault gave me was that they forgot to send the fitting kit to the body shop, all the right lights and washer jets etc were remembered.

The only thing i dont like about it, is the gap between the spoiler and the roof, but unfortunately theres not alot you can do if you want the boot to open without catching.

Also if flexes and wobbles so i have to close the boot carefully.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Mine doesnt flex or wobble, but it does catch. Maybe youll be lucky!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

nice. wanna swap it for a lifetime membership to ClioSport ;)

seriously, whats it worth?

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

possibly in 6 months time - got a wedding to pay for first!

I have a double spoiler on my dynamique. It has never fit nice and flush with the roof line but it looks good still. Mine does catch in hot weather!, I was quite worried that I fitted it wrong but now hearing all this I know that its just the part.

Thanks

Rik

Ive found out what the problem with the brake light is. Apparently it should be fixed to the spoiler by screws from beneath, but the part supplied by Renault had fixings from behind the lamp. This was exactly the same for the replacement part that was subsequently ordered. The reference numbers for the part matches with the one in the fitting instructions! The guys at the bodyshop said that all lamps the have previously fitted to double spoilers were of the kind that were screwed in from beneath. It appears that Renault have changed the design!!!!

i got the double a few weeks ago had no problems fitted it myself in a bout 2 hours, had to drill holes from underneath brake light to get it to fit had no real problems only could do with a shorter areal so it doesnt hit when opened. The gap between the spoiler and the window i had sealed to ensure no water got in any where. it only cost £25 to get sprayed.

Is the double spoiler only avaiable with a red lens brake light or can you get with a clear lens, like stanard 172 spoler?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

TBH the v6 spolier is better for 172 owners as it accepts the std brake light and is sooo much easier to fit

Ad

MK2 FRS

At least if renault are sorting evrything then you will be covered. If you have any problems just take it back!!

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 02 October 2003

..and looks better
Never, the double suits the 172, ubtle but its clearly noticable. whereas the V6 spoiler suits the V6, big and bold.