ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doorcards. What to use?

Ph1 T
Looking at making some lightweight door cards as stripping the ph1.

Whats the best stuff to use on a low budget

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Best thing to use is nothing. Take them off and bodge the handle etc back on. Other wise, carbon.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
A lot of people buy cup racer door mould things, and other people just have the bit of cable you pull to open up the door. I'm not 100% tbh, can't see it being that hard.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Might be a bit pikey, but why not just put cup racer handles on and black vinyl/carbon vinyl the inners?

Oh and if you no longer need the ph1 rear bench give us a shout :)

Ph1 T
A lot of people buy cup racer door mould things, and other people just have the bit of cable you pull to open up the door. I'm not 100% tbh, can't see it being that hard.

So buy the cup racer handles and just fit them however is possible either that or buy carbon ones and use existing basically

Foam? Seriously? I can see that lasting all of two minutes. I'd rather just have nothing or do it properly and get the carbon ones - but again that's my personal preference.

Yes srs, it was suggested to me by someone who has used it in a racer. I'd much rather have that than just metal carbon is obviously best.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yes srs, it was suggested to me by someone who has used it in a racer. I'd much rather have that than just metal carbon is obviously best.

Suppose - might be worth a punt in that case then for the sake of a few quid

Renaultsport 220T
Sheet acrylic is a good alternative. b**ch to cut without cracking, but easily found/painted etc. Wee bit heavier, but not too much. Cut a cardboard template to size first, then trace around sheet, and cut.

172 cup, Impreza P1
If you don't want to go carbon than abs plastic is next on my list. Very cheap, reasonably robust and comes in variety of colours.

I would have something as if you were in a crash the door could be very dangerous to your limbs.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Sheet acrylic is a good alternative. b**ch to cut without cracking, but easily found/painted etc. Wee bit heavier, but not too much. Cut a cardboard template to size first, then trace around sheet, and cut.

Acrylic would break if you shut the door too hard and if you were in a side impact would shatter and possibly create sharp flying objects which would not be good.

Ph1 T
If you don't want to go carbon than abs plastic is next on my list. Very cheap, reasonably robust and comes in variety of colours.

I would have something as if you were in a crash the door could be very dangerous to your limbs.

Wheres the best place to get that plastic from mate

Acrylic would break if you shut the door too hard and if you were in a side impact would shatter and possibly create sharp flying objects which would not be good.

Don't really buy the doing it for crash protection (random handling protection, yes) argument - carbon fibre would likely be just as bad as ABS. Infact the ridiculed foam idea would be the best for crash protection since it's naturally ductile so far from shattering it'd stay attached to the sharp edges it's "protecting" you from.

Not recommending one or the other, just arguing :p

I've got that foam and it is not what you would expect from "foam". It is more like plastic sheeting.

A scrutineer told me to get door cards to cover all the sharp edges in case you get a limb caught in there in an incident.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Don't really buy the doing it for crash protection (random handling protection, yes) argument - carbon fibre would likely be just as bad as ABS. Infact the ridiculed foam idea would be the best for crash protection since it's naturally ductile so far from shattering it'd stay attached to the sharp edges it's "protecting" you from.

Not recommending one or the other, just arguing :p

Carbon fibre is strong, light and robust. Abs is flexible, light and robust which makes both good for this purpose. MDPE is another plastic that would be good but it is slightly heavier.

I said acrylic would not be good. :S