ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Donington Race Report (Classic Stock Hatch)

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
After blowing the new engine up at Donington last time out, I managed to partially re-build the old engine and get it into the car before this round. But with limited time off work, I didn't manage a trip to the rollers to get the carb set up, so just had to run with what I had.

Got up to speed in qualifying, did two reasonable laps then the exhaust fell off, again. Pitted to try get it fixed, but ran out of time. Had to settle for 12th & 13th (out of 21) for the two races.

Race One i got a poor start and kept it conservative down into the first corner, had a great race-long battle with another XR2 which included a slightly ambitious overtaking manoeuvre at the chicane on lap two, resulting in a flight across the penis-sausage kerbs. Ended up 11th.

Race Two on the Sunday started much better, held position into the first corner - tried an equally opportunistic overtake at the chicane on lap one (my brakes are good). Towards the end of lap two I tried an unconventional line into Coppice, I'm blaming a bit of valve bounce distracting me on the way in. This led to a nice pirouette and a meeting with the gravel. Marshals pushed me out dead last, had to pit to remove loose stones that had got everywhere so by the time I rejoined I was two laps down. Knew that it would count as a finish so pressed on and set my best laptime of the weekend.

If anyone wants to go racing for not a lot of cash, I think I've given this championship a fair advert over the last couple of years - my car is now also for sale as I'm looking towards other things.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/4200569.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
  Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Looks like great fun. Line into Redgate looks like a good 'un!

What are you moving onto if you don't mind me asking dude? A different race series? These reports are always good to read :)

Clio 172
What was with the pointing at the car infront after the old hairpin in the first race prior to your attampt to out brake him into the chicane and go over the sausage curbs?

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
What was with the pointing at the car infront after the old hairpin in the first race prior to your attampt to out brake him into the chicane and go over the sausage curbs?

I just wanted him to get on with catching the two up who were dropping us and stop defending against me. Didn't work too well though. I got impatient.

Plans are hazy at the moment. I need to earn some more money first.