ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dogbone mount fitting

Zetec YO!!!!!
Hey, thanks to k-tec's speedy delivery i recieved my replacement dogbone bushes today, I am going to attempt to fit them myself. Now my question is, is it safe just to jack the front of the car up and place axle stands under the front, or should i jack up and support the whole car.

Only asking because i dont want to get crushed, it's alot of paperwork for the missus!!! :rasp:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Real men use just the renault jack ;)

But yeh, just axle stands on the front should be fine :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Stands at just the front is fine. As long as the rear wheels are steady.

Oh, and as above. Removing the old bushes is the hardest bit.

monaco 172
Jack up front and put it on axel stands and then just put the jack under to take a tad of the weight under the gearbox.

Burn or wack out the old ones and push the new powerflex ones in by hand.

Done.

Zetec YO!!!!!
Can't you use a press to get the old ones out?

yeah the guide on here says to press them out, time will tell. Also in further news someone at work has said i can borow their ramps instead of jacking it up, sounds like a better idea. :approve:

Zetec YO!!!!!
Hey hey right an update, i just went for a drive and heard the knocking, when i wound the window down and drove ace ventura style, i couldnt hear it.
I've just had a look under the car and tried seeing if their was any play in the dogmount, there wasnt. The bushes look a bit worn, but i am now starting to doubt if it is the cause of the knocking.

I've got the new bushes now so might aswell fit them and hope it solves it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yes they should fit, and you could do it at home. Depends how confident you are.

Zetec YO!!!!!
I fitted the uprated dogbone mounts and it still knocks on the drivers side, it can only be heard inside the car. :S

I'm thinking of trying the V6/trophy fix of putting a washer on the strut top, is it worth a try??

"Navy" N17 TWO
The washers are cheap so can't really beat trying them first before you go for solid top-mounts.... but I love my K-Tec mounts ;)

My last mounts had a problem with the bearing seizing up and making a knocking noise you could only hear from inside the car, but it was on both sides.
Worth looking into!

PS - does your knocking occur when hard/sharp cornering and turning at slow speeds in full lock?