ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does your wheel bounce?

Clio 172, Clio 200
I'm new to Clio Sports and have never owned a hot hatch before.

Is the front wheels supposed to bounce when flooring it in 1st/2nd?

I previously owned a mx-5 2.0 sport, obviously RWD with 158hp but with the clio bouncing like a kangaroo it can out accelerate the 172 to 60. I know that the actual 0-60 of an mx-5 is 0.6 slower than the clio so I'm guessing the bouncing isn't supposed to be happening?

Is there anyway to stop it!?

172 Cup
Do you mean axle-tramp? If thats what its called?
Is it not fairly common in powerful front wheel drive cars?
My cup does it if I accelerate hard in first or second. Its not good for the car I dont think, doesnt feel too nice.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Yeah maybe, I don't know if it is common or what it is called.

It's annoying cause you have to lift off to actually go forward and then all the power is gone and you don't get a good 0-60. Maybe it will take some getting used to? I was thinking maybe getting better tyres or something?

Nothing at the mo :(
just dont put your foot completely to the floor.. apply ya foot down on the pedal in a smooth motion... not floor it

octavia vRS TFSI
my car suffers pretty bad axle tramp, but saying that trying to put 280Hp+/300Ibft throught the wheels is not an easy task.

axle tramp is normally caused under acceleration by the sudden rocking of the engine, which is caused by the wheel temporarily braking traction thenb regaining it, or the initial lurch of acceleration.

on the GTI and vRS the best way to erradicate wheel hop/axle tramp was to uprate the soft engine mount to a perfomance variant. the lower moount made the biggest difference then the gear box and side mounts finished the package

Sounds like axle tramp, it could be your spinnning the wheels and causing it, our it could be an engine mount iirc.

Clio 172, Clio 200
I'm thinking of taking it to a garage and seeing if that sort it, you saying it could be an engine mount doesn't really make too much sense to me

octavia vRS TFSI
it is the rocking of the engine that causes axle tramp.

having a worn old engine mount could mean that the engine rocks more than normal. but its the spinning wheels and intermittant grip of the tyres when thwey are scabbling for grip that normally causes the engine to rock in the first place

Clio 200
dropping from 6th to 3rd on the 200 under full throttle gives the same effect.

Lesson learnt don't drive that way

Clio 172, Clio 200
ahh right, I'm picking up my 200 in a couple of weeks, will remember not to do that change lol.

I know I will learn how to stop the bouncing but i'm guessing I won't be able to drive at the cars full potential.

octavia vRS TFSI
traction control is a big cause of wheel hop as well, where it interupts the power.

it all comes down to hoow good the engine mounts are as standard. the VAg range ned comfort as well so are pretty soft

320d
dropping from 6th to 3rd on the 200 under full throttle gives the same effect.

Lesson learnt don't drive that way

Can see a 200 spinning up in 3rd. In my 172 I can only get axle tramp in 1st. Even then it will usually grip and the manifold knock or just spin up. Very rare I get axle tramp.

Clio 172, Clio 200
I don't mind if there is nothing wrong with the car. I don't want to be causing any damage to it though. I was thinking about buying traction control for it too..?

Clio 172, Clio 200
This is the 172 yes. I think I have no choice but to keep it. I am due to collect it Tuesday but will speak for the last time to Trading Standards before to make sure I can't give it back. In all fairness the garage has rectified all the issues so I am a bit happier about keeping it now...shame about the axel tramp though...may buy some aftermarket traction control for it if it's not too exspensive.

octavia vRS TFSI
cant imagine aftermarket traction control being cheap TBH, and it wont cure axle tramp. my car suffered less with axle tramp when the TC was turned off.

from personal experience on previous cars, upgrade the engine mounts. they will practically erradicate the wheel hop

octavia vRS TFSI
on the vRS the lower mount is about 100 sheets, and the two sides will cost 250 notes for the pair.

easy job to fit, provided yousupport the engine on my car.

MY10 R35 GTR
So if it feels like it's bouncing around a roundabout at the front end, this is axel tramp?

errrrrr, axle tramp is usually felt most when flooring it front a standing start. It will feel like the front of the car is jumping up and down.

Not sure where bouncing around a roundabout comes in

octavia vRS TFSI
ja5on is bang on. that isnt axle tramp,

that to me would point towards fooked dampers not controlling the spring correctly, or your springs could be to stiff maybe??

DCi 100
I felt it in the wet with the new T1R's (bag of sheet) in straight line.

Just went pushing it on roundabouts feels like it's struggles to grip on one side, not too sure which. Suspension is very stiff.

octavia vRS TFSI
T1Rs are absolute tonk. had them as my last tyre. now use vredestein ultrac sessantas and they are ace on track, in the rain and on the road. with only 30 miles usage they had more grip than the T1Rs at their best

DCi 100
Yeah well, paid for the T1R's now, people saying there great in the wet but I have no confidence after them sliding afew times on me.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
errrrrr, axle tramp is usually felt most when flooring it front a standing start. It will feel like the front of the car is jumping up and down.

Not sure where bouncing around a roundabout comes in

Oh I get that if I get a bit ott with the right foot. Best way to cure it, lift your foot off the right hand peddle, I've found.

True story.

Two 0 Shitx
My mum's old chipped Golf GTi mk5 used to be really bad, soon as you put your foot down it was like driving over a rumble strip.

Completely normal in any hot hatch with a firmly sprung suspension. It's essentially just a side effect of wheel spin. My car (I won't mention its name because it apparently upsets some of the pricks on here) is worse than my old Clio by a factor of ten, in this regard. If it happens, it sounds like the Gods are angry at you for spinning the wheels.

octavia vRS TFSI
My mum's old chipped Golf GTi mk5 used to be really bad, soon as you put your foot down it was like driving over a rumble strip.

thats what all my experience is based from. the vRS has identical underpinnings to the GTI.

Golf GTD Mk7
someone fancy explaining axle tramp for me?

Only thing I sometimes get in the 182 is while accelerating from start, if the tyres are cold or there is minimal grip the suspension bounces due to lack of traction. Cure=less right foot. FWD cars are pants from standing starts. Physics don't lie :)

Iceberg 172
I snapped 2 mounts in my polo due to this. But the was in third gear!

It's just a s**t part of high powered fwd.

Get used to it, learn how to control the power and be smooth with it.

320d
Yeah well, paid for the T1R's now, people saying there great in the wet but I have no confidence after them sliding afew times on me.

Me either. Mine seem to be getting worse too, they've got plenty of tread on them still but just seems to be even less grip available.

I won't forgive them after they let go on me last weekend and I nearly understeered into a kerb. Theres no feedback in them either, grip > no grip. Nothing inbetween in the wet imo.

Anyone that said t1r's are good in the wet want shooting.

+1

Nissan 350z
I have no problem with my T1rs. I recently changed from 2x Uniroyal 2x Continental.

On a FWD Hatch you want a softer compound tyre for grip which means in theory the T1rs are ideal. I honestly cant complain. Perhaps your giving it too much welly in damp conditions given the time of year?

In regards to the topic instead of slamming your foot to the floor just do it smoothly to avoid the jump. You will probably chew through engine mounts otherwise and they arent cheap!