ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does having a sub increase fuel consumption?

Clive the Clio no. 2
As per title really,

i noticed ever since installing my sub, my petrol consumption has increased.

does this having any to do with the sub? more power needed at the battery therefore more petrol or the increased weight of the sub cause it

iv lost about 5mpg since installing it

Regards

172 Cup
depends on the weight of the sub. like driving round with an extra person in the car really

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well its obviously weight but also it does sap some power. Remember speaking to RR guy who said that playing 2 12s at full once lost 14bhp on a car he dyno'd.

BMW M135i
Can't say i've ever noticed any difference, although if its a large sub blasting all the time its going to put more load on the alternator and add weight.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
are you sure your not just driving it faster now you have your banging tunes? :rasp:
But it will be a bit because of the weight but i wouldn't have thought it would be as much as 5mpg

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm sure it will does anyone remember the Top Gear where they showed how much extra a year having a moustache costs you lol.

1.2 Clio
My MPG has dropped. Couldn't tell you how much by... but it's enough. Not a huge deal though. I have 70 kg of battery in the boot, and 2 x 12"ers and 2 amps and wood, and cable... damn 8kg of 0guage!, so were talking 120kg easy!!!