ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I need to adjust my gear linkage (pics inside)

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've noticed in the past few weeks it has been getting way way harder to get into first and reverse, having to really wiggle it s**t loads!

I had a look under the gaitor today and it's apparent that the plastic bit that stops you from going into reverse instead of first seems to be blocking the way for when I want to go into first! I hope this makes sense.

I cannot physically select first gear now as shown in this picture despite it being at the furthest bit of it's travel left:

17019718002_fcf32aa91b_b.jpg
IMG_0330 by dann2707, on Flickr

However this is in first gear absolutely perfect but note how i've had to lift up the reverse bit!

16813752607_99ddc690b5_b.jpg
IMG_0331 by dann2707, on Flickr

16398731134_7d6e09ae3a_b.jpg
IMG_0332 by dann2707, on Flickr

Am I right in saying I need to undo that 13mm bolt on the gear linkage and adjust it to the right a bit so that it will go into first without it catching on that plastic bit?

If so how do I do it again please? Like what gear do I leave it in?

Cheers!! Hope this made sense.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
You need to adjust the linkage below the car, not above. Where the selector rod feeds into the gearbox.

Below the car, there is a plastic circlip that may have split which may be causing the problems. I'd have a look (or get someone else who is familiar with these) to have a look below before you fiddle with anything above bud.

Is it a standard gear shifter?

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
You need to adjust the linkage below the car, not above. Where the selector rod feeds into the gearbox.

Below the car, there is a plastic circlip that may have split which may be causing the problems. I'd have a look (or get someone else who is familiar with these) to have a look below before you fiddle with anything above bud.

Is it a standard gear shifter?
I fitted a Yanoo stiff shift 3.0 a few months back so it's not standard nope.

I've just adjusted the gear linkage using that 13mm bolt and it's perfect now in terms of the problem listed above however something isn't right what so ever, when in third gear it flops left and right like it's in neutral as my disconcerting voice shows haha I'm going to fire Yanoo an email to see what he thinks. I've tightened the 4 grub screws up but that hasn't changed anything, I knew it wouldn't as that's just to alter the throw.

Cheers for the reply Cub

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
FLOL! Yep. That's not right.

That doesn't look selector rod related, looks like something in the stiff shift kit isn't right, but I can't help there bud as I have the PMS shifter on mine.

@Dan@SJM and @NorthloopCup are my go to guys when my knowledge runs out :wink: I'm sure they'll be along to help.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
is the 13mm nut on the gearbox end of the linkage rod tight and also check the 13mm nut that connects the gear stick to the linkage rod above the cat heat shield
@dann2707

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
is the 13mm nut on the gearbox end of the linkage rod tight and also check the 13mm nut that connects the gear stick to the linkage rod above the cat heat shield
@dann2707
I think that's the one I adjusted just now to move my gearlever over to the right a little bit so it's nice and tight, it was also ridiculously tight when undoing it so I don't think that caused the initial problem.

I'll have a gander at the other one tomorrow!I think that's the one that I was provided with an uprated bush so definitely did fettle with it originally.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
If it flops left and right only in 3rd, I quess it may be small rod housing or gearbox internal problem. PM sent how you can check it.

BG Clio 182
If it flops left and right only in 3rd, I quess it may be small rod housing or gearbox internal problem. PM sent how you can check it.
Is this a usual problem? Have other people experienced this? It's just im gonna be fitting my kit too in a week or so and don't want any issues lol!

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
No, this is not usual. This is the first time I hear about this. I'm not sure it is gear linkage related because it occurs in 3rd only.

BG Clio 182
No, this is not usual. This is the first time I hear about this. I'm not sure it is gear linkage related because it occurs in 3rd only.
Ah okay. I bought my kit from you a couple of weeks ago but been so busy, she's booked in for fitting on the 16th, Very excited for it haha.

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yanoo has replied with a lengthy detailed list of things to check, what a fantastic bloke!

It does it in 5th gear too. Infact i'll go double check now.

thanks for the reply again dude

BG Clio 182
Yanoo has replied with a lengthy detailed list of things to check, what a fantastic bloke!

It does it in 5th gear too. Infact i'll go double check now.

thanks for the reply again dude
If you want a hand Dan I can help you but as you know im f**king USELESS. Tell me if you get to the bottom of it all incase I run into the problem too [emoji14] How long you had it fitted now?

Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you want a hand Dan I can help you but as you know im f**king USELESS. Tell me if you get to the bottom of it all incase I run into the problem too [emoji14] How long you had it fitted now?
Thanks mate! Yeah quite a while now i'm not exactly sure but it's one of the best mods i've done to my car for sure. Makes changing gear amazing :D

Here is a video I just took to show the gear movement in the other gears, the reverse is it slipping off the plastic lift up reverse thing I realised. SOMETHING IS LOOSE haha @Yanoo

BG Clio 182
Thanks mate! Yeah quite a while now i'm not exactly sure but it's one of the best mods i've done to my car for sure. Makes changing gear amazing :D

Here is a video I just took to show the gear movement in the other gears, the reverse is it slipping off the plastic lift up reverse thing I realised. SOMETHING IS LOOSE haha @Yanoo

Could it be something to do with the bushes or the ball insert? My gearstick has that much play near enough lol. Hoping the kit will tighten it up. My fiancee had just got a new car and by f**k it's showed me what a gearbox should be like lol.