ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ditching standard ECU

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Hi All,

If I didn't care about the dash and wanted to go full custom, could I ditch the existing loom/ECU and replace it with one of the normally discussed ECUs (Gen90, Omex, EC1 etc) ?

I'd want to have a very basic dash and maybe go something like a Stack dash, I suppose that getting rid of the original ECU and building a custom loom would allow me to do this?

Cheers
Rhys

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes of course, no problem at all, just bear in mind you'll lose some of the functionality like the immobiliser and cruise control etc, but not an issue if its a pure track car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
suspect I'll keep the rear light\Fuel pump loom and front light loom only, everything else is coming out...

Some good weight saving to be had, a lot of cars it runs into over a dozen kg for the loom, its hard to believe such tiny little wires can add up to so much the first time you see it weighed.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Thanks for the comments guys, yeah I'd want to ditch pretty much everything, will keep the rear chassis loom for rear lights etc, but the rest I'd want to be manually wired in. There will be so much that I won't want to use and would rather keep everything very simple. When new ECU's are fitted, are they primarily 'piggy backing' the old ECU which is just there to run dash etc?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for the comments guys, yeah I'd want to ditch pretty much everything, will keep the rear chassis loom for rear lights etc, but the rest I'd want to be manually wired in. There will be so much that I won't want to use and would rather keep everything very simple. When new ECU's are fitted, are they primarily 'piggy backing' the old ECU which is just there to run dash etc?

Depends on the application, if its a road car where you want to keep the standard dashboard and immobiliser etc it makes sense to piggy back IMHO

Are you planning on keeping the original switchgear for indicators etc? Cause im pretty sure all the inputs go through the UCH, although im sure its possible to wire them direct.

no, going to toggle switch everything, though only having the bare min, lights beam dipped side, rain lgt, rear indicators, wiper one speed, wash, start, ecu, think that's it.

Oh and rev, fuel guage, volts and temp...of what not sure yet...

Though would rather one function that just said "STOP" and that's it....easy.

Easy and will save time and money...

no, going to toggle switch everything, though only having the bare min, lights beam dipped side, rain lgt, rear indicators, wiper one speed, wash, start, ecu, think that's it.

You want me to email my wiring lists over? Has a list of my circuits and will help you maybe double check you haven't missed anything :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Oh and rev, fuel guage, volts and temp...of what not sure yet...

Though would rather one function that just said "STOP" and that's it....easy.

Yeah for a race car thats fine, but a bit of a pain on the road though with toggle switches for indicators, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
More annoying on the track... one handed steering and flicking the indicator! lol!

On a trackday it would be a real pain as you potentially need to indiciate quite a few times (like when im passing you etc lol) but on a race car that happens less often as they dont indicate to each other much unless their car is broken, lol