ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between 172 and 182 engine

Renault Clio 172 16V
Apparently the car I have is a 172 134k with a 182 engine swapped of 96k, how could I check to make sure it is actually a 182 engine block? Any codes etc?

clio 182 trophy
I thought they were the same engine, just a different manifold for the 182. A 4-1 for the 182 and 4-2-1 for the 172?

Renault Clio 172 16V
Ok on checking the back of the engine, I have four big pipes coming out of the engine going down into one, 4-1 ?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Exhaust manifold and a breather under the upper inlet are the only differences iirc

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Ok on checking the back of the engine, I have four big pipes coming out of the engine going down into one, 4-1 ?

Correct, the exhaust manifold is different between the 172 and 182. On the 172 you'll have a 4-1, and on the 182 you'll have a 4-2-1.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
172,182 engines are the same ain't they? The Intake and exhaust are different which technically isn't the engine

Some people in the past have said that the crank is slightly different, but I've not come across any differences that I've noticed.

clio 182 trophy
Yes. That is a 4-1 manifold. A 172 would be 4 pipes, into 2, into 1. Hence 4-2-1. I am sure someone with more knowledge about these engines will be along soon to help with other differences if any.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Yes. That is a 4-1 manifold. A 172 would be 4 pipes, into 2, into 1. Hence 4-2-1. I am sure someone with more knowledge about these engines will be along soon to help with other differences if any.

Guessing a typo above... 172 is 4-1, 182 is 4-2-1.

clio 182 trophy
Correct, the exhaust manifold is different between the 172 and 182. On the 172 you'll have a 4-1, and on the 182 you'll have a 4-2-1.
I thought it was the other way around mate? 4-1 for the 182, helping with quicker flow and the gain of 10 bhp. Well claimed anyway, which is bollox but that is another story.

Renault Clio 172 16V
Oh great so it's just a 172 engine? Looks like I've been had then :( As I said four pipes going into one main exhaust, they look to be non standard ones as well possibly aftermarket.

Could still be a 182 engine.... 172 & 182 exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. Wont have 182 power though... Its not just the exhaust that makes the extra power

Renault Clio 172 16V
Could still be a 182 engine.... 172 & 182 exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. Wont have 182 power though... Its not just the exhaust that makes the extra power

Ah I see, I think the story was that his car was high milage and as he was a mobile mechanic came across a 182 that had a rear end smash. He put the 182 straight in which had 86k on it at the time. He obviously was a car mechanic going by his tshirt and one of the cards I found. Always a concern though when buying a car from someone

Any other ways to find out? Would rather have a 90k engine from a 182 than a 172 with 134k!

Yup i know what you mean fella! I just brought a non running 172 in the process of having a 182 lump fitted as the old engine was knackered. After many hours i think it was in the process of having the engine removed as after spending many hours trying to get it to start the "replacement" engine is knackered aswell !

Take the upper inlet off... If theres a breather pipe sticking up into the inlet its a 172... Non then its a 182 lump

Renault Clio 172 16V
Tbh, if they were changing the engine they wouldn't change the exhaust manifold anyway as it's the same bolting. It'd just be the engine itself that's changed imo.

After what was said here, agreed guess I'm learning more every day :)

Perhaps there is no way to know if it was just a straight swap, only the seller does :p