ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diff/Circlip problem

Clio v6
I was out driving my 2002(52) 172 Cup the other day and totally lost all drive.

After investigation I found out that the circlip on the N/S driveshaft had popped off. Worrying thing is I could only find the washer and not the circlip :S also the tab off the washer was missing. I got hold of a new washer and circlip and fitted them.

Well........ Problem is now what I dreaded, I think the circlip has gone into the diff and buggered it :(. I think this because after fitting the new washer and circlip I took the car for a steady drive and now it makes what I can only decribe as a "very loud" clunking/grinding/whiring noise which gets more aggessive the faster the car goes.

It makes this noise when in gear but just rolling (clutch in and out). It also makes this noise if I put the car into neutral while rolling, which is what makes me think its the diff? :S.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is the diff or gearbox buggered? Is it a whole unit or is the diff replacable by itself? (Its a JC5 Gearbox).

Is it even possible for the circlip to be pulled into the diff or gearbox? :S.

Any answers would be a great help and very appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.

Golf GTD Mk7
Sounds like the diff :(. You need to dismantle the GB to get at the diff, so it's not going to be a cheap job unfortunately.

Clio v6
Hmmm not what I wanted to hear :(. Do you think its worth replacing whats broke inside the gearbox? Or just replace the complete gearbox itself?

Anyone know anywhere in the midlands where I can get a gearbox from? Best to go for a breaker? Reconditioned? Or Repair kit?

Thanks for replys, Andy.

Golf GTD Mk7
Hmmm not what I wanted to hear :(. Do you think its worth replacing whats broke inside the gearbox? Or just replace the complete gearbox itself?

Anyone know anywhere in the midlands where I can get a gearbox from? Best to go for a breaker? Reconditioned? Or Repair kit?

Thanks for replys, Andy.

Not sure on cost for a new one. Recon will cost upwards of £250 depending on damage. Best bet would be to keep an eye out on here. There are clios being broken all time.

172 Race Car
If your Midlands based then give this chap a ring.

Agency Transmissions

Unit 17k Shrub Hill

Worcester

WR4 9EL

Tel: 01905 24896

He has a soloution for the circlip problem and has never had one fail after he has rebuilt one. He normally charges around £275+vat for a full rebuild. (used boxes go for around this price) He stocks all the bits for the JC5 and can turn it around in a couple of days normaly

He did the box on our race car and its been faultless. He has done lots of members gearboxes now and his work is to a very high standard.

Mention Burpspeed and he will look after you.

Jay

Clio v6
If your Midlands based then give this chap a ring.

Agency Transmissions

Unit 17k Shrub Hill

Worcester

WR4 9EL

Tel: 01905 24896

He has a soloution for the circlip problem and has never had one fail after he has rebuilt one. He normally charges around £275+vat for a full rebuild. (used boxes go for around this price) He stocks all the bits for the JC5 and can turn it around in a couple of days normaly

He did the box on our race car and its been faultless. He has done lots of members gearboxes now and his work is to a very high standard.

Mention Burpspeed and he will look after you.

Jay

Thanks mate, I will give this guy a ring :D

Andy.

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Ok thanks again. Also when I either recon my gearbox or get another one would anyone recommend this little thing I seen on ebay, link........ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gearbox-renfo...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b151cea6

Do you think this would work? I'm pretty interested in getting this but don't want to waste £55. Anyone got one of these and what do they think?

Thanks, Andy.

Hi all - has anyone got a link/info in this French £55 circlip fix? Link wont work as too old??!