ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailling the BMW 330CI tomorrow

Megane 225
Thinking of wet sanding as there are alot of random scratches in it. Then Power Gloss, intensive polish, final finish, Clearkote vanilla Glaze, Swissvax Onyx.

Any stages I need to add? Paintwork was clayed a few weeks ago.

Thanks,

Stuart

Was about to jump in with claying.

Wet sanding is brave, but well worth it. Just go slow. I don't do glazes instead of sealents, so would go for some Chem Guy's Blitz instead or as well as, just for some protection :)

Once it's cured fella yeah. Jet seal is a paint sealent, so protects the freshly polished paintwork. Wax is barely for protection, more for looks.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Power Gloss won't cut enough after wet sanding on BMW clear coat i'd guess. Well it won't even take swirls out of my paint lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It's a BM, who KNOWS! lol.

Not that i'm helpin much, but it's true, you're just going to have to try it and see if it works!

Process looks alright. You using a rotary or DA.

Megane 225
Ok, spent 3 days on the car before a show on Saturday. Car looked reli well, but still a few holograms on it.

I wet sanded then 3m compound, then 3m Finesse, then 3m ultrafina. Have I not worked the finesse/ultrafina enough and that's where the holograms have come from?

Any advice would be great!

Megane 225
Surely it's more course than the ultrafina? I think I maybe rushed it towards the end and didn't properly refine the finish!

Monaco 172
get back over it again with the ultrfina. work it nice till it goes clear and all that. ive never had any bother with it. wouldnt have bothered with finesset it though. but theres some gloss comes off ultrafina thats for sure.

Megane 225
Thanks Pete, I didn't finish it till 2am on Sat morning. Needed it for the show in Ballymena on sat! Probably just didn't work it enough. Still a few wee flat bits that I need to compound again! Maybe give it another full 3m Fast cut and then ultrafina!

Megane 225
Power Gloss won't cut enough after wet sanding on BMW clear coat i'd guess. Well it won't even take swirls out of my paint lol

You def need to work it! My hands are covered in blisters! Did u use a Rotary? DA or anythin else jus wont cut it!

Megane 225
No, the buffer wrecked my hands! BMW paint is the hardest substance known to man!

Last edited:
  Megane R26
So Power Gloss, on a DA with a Cutting Pad isn't working??

Which pads are you using? The Menz pads are the key via DA, or buy a Rotary tbh!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
So Power Gloss, on a DA with a Cutting Pad isn't working??

Which pads are you using? The Menz pads are the key via DA, or buy a Rotary tbh!

Knowsit.

VAG paint is the same - a c**t.

I sold my DA and bought a rotory for this EXACT reason.

Rotory is amazing tbf. Breaks down the polish in half the time and you can just do so much more with it IMO. Wish id never bought a DA.

Megane 225
I'm using rotary! Only used the da 2 flatten! I think I just haven't worked the polish long enough and that has resulted in marring or holograms?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Which one have you got Booshy? Can I call you Booshy? x

Call me what you like russ baby!

Im using a Kestrel SIM180. Pretty good machine for someone who uses it not too often and just does it as a hobby.

not too good if i was to be using it day to day - bit heavy/loud but not too bad! I rate it tbh. Just need a scrap panel to experiment on now!

STU - If the paintwork is swirl free etc and your having troubles with the rotory, whip the DA out and get some finishing polish on it to get rid of the hologrammes.

I cant see why they aren't coming out with the rotory? (if you tried, maybe i missed something :) )

Megane R26
Good call on the 180, but I think I'm going to spend the extra on the CP because of how light it is.

Any pics of your car? :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
3626824500_9efea5819c.gif

083-2.gif

boosh1.gif

Its still not swirl free and i fucked the paint up on the rear bumper playing around with the rotory :eek: It now needs a re spray pmsl. Live and learn though - going to get a scrap panel to play with...

Fancy giving me some lessons with it russ? x :D

PH1 172
fast cut followed by the yellow top 3m one - extra fine compound maybe? then ultrafina - hey presto perfection ;)

Megane 225
fast cut followed by the yellow top 3m one - extra fine compound maybe? then ultrafina - hey presto perfection ;)

Yep, thought i'd maybe jumped a step somewhere! Will give it another go next weekend as have to work this sat! :dapprove:

Monaco 172
must be a beemer thing then, hardest ive done is VW and the fastcut and ultrafina was reet.

though done a red ford and yellow top is fine by itself.

Monaco 172
use fast cut...fast. no dont. i use it on a green pad and its like compounding with bricks lol

ross is expensive but...you pay for my company more than anything lol

Megane 225
Waitey-Work the fast-cut in! U WILL NEVER BUFF THROUGH BMW PAINT! I got rid of all swirls and nearly all scrathes USING FASTCUT. But you need a rotary. Tried the DA 1st and the paintwork just laughed at it. Switched to rotary, max pressure, speed setting 3 alot of swearing and sweating and it came up great! Just a few holograms remain but I think it's cos it was 1am when I started using the ultrafina and just wanted to slap it on and get to bed! Lol! Should really have taken time to work it properly! With a bit more time spent the finish should be very good! Maybe even close to perfect!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
3M products are good...But thw work time is long and you have to ensure the product is completely broken down. Esp if your using a compounding pad and FCP. Hence the Holograms!

Dunno, i've not tackled mine properly yet...REALLY NOT looking forward to it.

Megane R26
Give Megs 203S a try - it works miracles tbh.

This new unigrit/micro abrasive technology is incredible. One polish, cut depends on the pad and pressure.

DO IT!