ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
when me and andy paint cars up here, they get clayed , masked , painted. then flatted, compounded back up.
and i go round and hand polish the whole car, and wax them.

just something we do

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Does anyone recommend a good basic cleaning kit? I'm no detailer, or pretend to be, but don't mind spending a little more on a few things to clean my car with and give it the occasional polish.

Seen the Autoglym ones in Halfords, any good?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Does anyone recommend a good basic cleaning kit? I'm no detailer, or pretend to be, but don't mind spending a little more on a few things to clean my car with and give it the occasional polish.

Seen the Autoglym ones in Halfords, any good?

I started with the autoglym one and a bar of clay, then added to that

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Problem I have is, Germany are dead funny with washing cars and pollution, so my car will pretty much only get cleaned when i come back to the uk unless i go to car washes (no way) so was looking for longer term protection, as it's won't get a weekly wash :(

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Problem I have is, Germany are dead funny with washing cars and pollution, so my car will pretty much only get cleaned when i come back to the uk unless i go to car washes (no way) so was looking for longer term protection, as it's won't get a weekly wash :(

Get a detail with a nano coating when you're here then keep on top of it over there with pre washes like citrus power, shampoos either gloss enhancers and a protection too up like reload.

What is it you're restricted from using?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Can't use anything, genuinely never seen anyone wash a car not at a car wash.

Fiesta ST3
Only thing about clay mitts is you can't see the contamination it takes off unlike normal clay.

But they are good and a lot easier and faster to use

SQ5
yupp special clear coat developed to withstand repeated carwash use. doesnt scratch as easy.

Do you know what I thought something like this yesterday!

Having had a VAG car for a few months now I gave it a good clean when first got it with a couple of layers of Autoglym, I've only washed it twice in the last 6 weeks and the paint work still feels quite smooth.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Nano sealant and ONR if it doesn't get too dirty.

thanks for the advice, but was is that lol?

wow, is there any information on their .gov site or similar?

Quite curious as to why you can't clean cars

I doubt they have a website like that, they seem to be about 10 years behind us when it comes to the internet. But I do know they have to pay for water, then they have to pay for the pollution of putting it back in the ground.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Cheers for that, so just apply the sealant after a normal wash and wax?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
What's he crack with the carchem cola scented shampoo?

one of their reps is advertising it on Facebook for £9.95 for 500ml or £14.95 for 1l.

i asked whether it was just shampoo or whether it had gloss enhancers or left any protection. This was the reply

It's just a good shampoo. Perfect for bringing back the gloss from previous applied waxes/sealants. Great glide over your paintwork! If you want some let me know!

Now does that mean its a shampoo which leaves no protection bar that left by the LSP?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
What's he crack with the carchem cola scented shampoo?

one of their reps is advertising it on Facebook for £9.95 for 500ml or £14.95 for 1l.

i asked whether it was just shampoo or whether it had gloss enhancers or left any protection. This was the reply

Now does that mean its a shampoo which leaves no protection bar that left by the LSP?
Sounds like a franchise monkey and less knowledge than hobbyist detailers (no offence, could be a blanket sales response to general sponge wash enquiries). Do some digging on DW. FYI I find google search of DW more effective than the search function itself.

Tbh mate, the local pH suits BTBM down to the ground (assuming you're UU Dee Water? Mine tastes like Chester water and stanlow tastes like shite!)

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sounds like a franchise monkey and less knowledge than hobbyist detailers (no offence, could be a blanket sales response to general sponge wash enquiries). Do some digging on DW. FYI I find google search of DW more effective than the search function itself.

Tbh mate, the local pH suits BTBM down to the ground (assuming you're UU Dee Water? Mine tastes like Chester water and stanlow tastes like s**te!)

Cheers, I'll have a look, thought I'd try here first though

I think I'll be on the same as you then. But I can't comment on noticing a difference between The waters lol. How does btbm compare to af lather?

Quick question on wax!

I bought a tub of DDJ Blu velvet awhile back for the clio and have only used it twice, so the tub is near brand new.

Now am I right in thinking that blue velvet is a 'colour charged' wax, so works best on dark blue cars? Would you notice it on say, a silver car?

Only ask as ive just bought a new car and I was wondering if i needed to get some different wax.

Cheers :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd recommend Zaino Z2 or Z5 and Z6/Z8 on Silver personally but in regards to your question. No it won't change the colour you need to add plenty of layers for it to have an affect. You'll be fine with even 2 layers at a time.

But if you're looking to upgrade I love Zaino on light colours.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Quick question on wax!

I bought a tub of DDJ Blu velvet awhile back for the clio and have only used it twice, so the tub is near brand new.

Now am I right in thinking that blue velvet is a 'colour charged' wax, so works best on dark blue cars? Would you notice it on say, a silver car?

Only ask as ive just bought a new car and I was wondering if i needed to get some different wax.

Cheers :)

Search 'colour charged waxes' on here. I copied a thread from dw.

They will alter the colour very slightly after about 3/4 layers

I'd recommend Zaino Z2 or Z5 and Z6/Z8 on Silver personally but in regards to your question. No it won't change the colour you need to add plenty of layers for it to have an affect. You'll be fine with even 2 layers at a time.

But if you're looking to upgrade I love Zaino on light colours.

Search 'colour charged waxes' on here. I copied a thread from dw.

They will alter the colour very slightly after about 3/4 layers

Cheers both :)

Ill have a look at that thread now Knuckles.

Not looking to upgrade yet so i'll see how I get on with the DDJ. I may look into the Zaino stuff later on though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
B22 does bling a lot. Found it mental on light colours! I like original waxes like 22.

Golf GTD
Sorry to ask again guys but I need some new Snow Foam. What is better in your opinion out of Valet Pro Advanced Neutral and Valet Pro Neutral? Also what is the difference?

I assume the higher priced "Advanced" neutral is better but can't find why...

Also in this warm weather I'm using some Farecla G3 Bodyshop Detailer to aid with drying (one pass with microfibre towel then bodyshop detailer and second pass with micofibre towel to get rid of any remaining wet spots) this sound ok?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to ask again guys but I need some new Snow Foam. What is better in your opinion out of Valet Pro Advanced Neutral and Valet Pro Neutral? Also what is the difference?

I assume the higher priced "Advanced" neutral is better but can't find why...

Also in this warm weather I'm using some Farecla G3 Bodyshop Detailer to aid with drying (one pass with microfibre towel then bodyshop detailer and second pass with micofibre towel to get rid of any remaining wet spots) this sound ok?

I'd use pH neutral and you can add a splash of apc for bite when required.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The golf is now almost completely clean, decontaminated and lightly polished/cleansed with Lime Prime.

Now. Do I finish with

A) A show wax

B) Swissvax Shield

C) strip the Lime Prime oils and apply CQUK (which will probably take me all night).

I'm leaning towards B

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The golf is now almost completely clean, decontaminated and lightly polished/cleansed with Lime Prime.

Now. Do I finish with

A) A show wax

B) Swissvax Shield

C) strip the Lime Prime oils and apply CQUK (which will probably take me all night).

I'm leaning towards B

not c. Do that another time when I'm free to come round :eek:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Be for streaking I imagine as it'll have higher Silica content.

CQUK and a coat of Shield for me. ;)