ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Another quick noob question.

There must be about 4 layers of wax on my car. I washed it a couple of times then waxed it after each wash. Is there anything I need to do to get rid of them or will a good hard scrub with a wash mitt take care of it. Planning on machining it is all ??

Chris

A wash mitt won't remove waxes. A de contaminant mitt or claying will. I'd suggest a strong TFR spray to remove all traces and leave a bare surface to start.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Don't say scrub lol!

polishing itself will remove the remaining contaminants (including wax). Although it's be worth detarring, deironing and claying prior to polishing which should remove a lot of the wax anyway

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Well I'm out of snow foam again and could do with ordering some more. I had the valet pro ph neutral stuff last time and I thought it was decent. I'm prepared to try another if anyone has any recommendations.
I tried autobrite magifoam and couldn't get on with that though

Cheers
Chris

Mini JCW
AutoSmart 'Ultramousse' for me - very good 'cling' and consistency at a good price point.

What MFs are you guys using for final wipe down of your cars? I've ordered some Sonus 'Der Wunder' MFs but tempted to try some CarPro 'BOA' towels too?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
AutoSmart 'Ultramousse' for me - very good 'cling' and consistency at a good price point.

What MFs are you guys using for final wipe down of your cars? I've ordered some Sonus 'Der Wunder' MFs but tempted to try some CarPro 'BOA' towels too?

Costcos finest :cool: 30 or so for £12 iirc. Bought them a year ago and I've used just under a third of the pack

Mini JCW
Costcos finest :cool: 30 or so for £12 iirc. Bought them a year ago and I've used just under a third of the pack

I've got the Kirkland ones for general use such as engine bay / shuts etc - just after some better quality / slightly deeper pile ones for the bodywork.

Have to say that even when dirty, the Opti-Coat beads and sheets amazingly!

Fiesta ST3
@gally do you still recommend g1 for a glass sealant?

I've been reading about wiper judder on g1 and it's putting me off using it, as it will need ceriglass and machine to get it off if it makes my wipers judder.

Thinking to go for something like angelwax h2go, spray on stuff. Ok won't last as long as g1 but don't mind putting it on every few months. Cheap too.

Thoughts ?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You can get wiper judder mate but in most cases it's fine. I'd go for G5 if you're worried.

3 layers windscreen, one on the others. I have it on mine currently. :)

Fiesta ST3
Surprised at this, fella. It's really a "wax on wax off" product, just with a remover (IPA basically) for the residue... very difficult to mess up (especially if you read the instructions @TheEvilGiraffe )...

It's very very easy.

Even JD can do it.

No, really.

I was all set to you use it but if you read the horror stories about wiper judder, it costs more to buy ceriglass and pad to remove it than the cost of G1 itself lol

rather uses a spray on type product and make do with topping every 2 months.

but there are many many good reviews of it but im not confident enough !

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Spray on products won't last any time at all. G1 is piss easy to apply. G5 even easier.

Ph2 Meg 225
Just looking for another shampoo along side hubikote, mainly for cleaning others car rather than my own but still needs to be wax safe etc. Any suggestions for value of money? Apart from af lather as I wouldn't mind trying something different.

also any reason you don't particularly like gloss enhancing shampoos iirc? gally

330i. E30 Touring.
Just looking for another shampoo along side hubikote, mainly for cleaning others car rather than my own but still needs to be wax safe etc. Any suggestions for value of money? Apart from af lather as I wouldn't mind trying something different.

also any reason you don't particularly like gloss enhancing shampoos iirc? gally

I have a few Dodo ones available... See my thread.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Britemax is good if you're doing a lot mate. Dilutes well etc and not very expensive!

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but Hyper Wash. Still works out as the best shampoo/cleaner/snow foam in terms of dilution (and therefore cost).

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Talk to me about wheel brushes. Mine died at the weekend.

And which pre wash? Citrus power is 'spensive, RDS is £6 per litre, valet pro citrus wash (Iirc) was £20 for 5 litres last time I checked. are the latter two lsp safe?

I use the EZ mini. It's been great. I've had it three years and it still looks like new. Really well made so I'd recommend either the mini or the large.

I use valet pro citrus pre wash 10:1 in a pump sprayer and it's great. At 10:1 it doesn't affect the lsp.

Mini JCW
Topped the Opti-Coat with RG55 today as i'm not 100% happy with the water behaviour from OC alone(finished with last touch)

Used the last of the HydrO2 on the wheels - but need to get the wheels refurbed and coated with Dlux.

Also my Wheel woolies are a bit useless on the Z4 - can only use the medium on the rears and the diddy small one on the fronts due to the dust guard :(

Alternative wheel brush? Thinking of another daytona for the fronts.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I use the EZ mini. It's been great. I've had it three years and it still looks like new. Really well made so I'd recommend either the mini or the large.

I use valet pro citrus pre wash 10:1 in a pump sprayer and it's great. At 10:1 it doesn't affect the lsp.

got a link for the brush?

Off the top of my head the valet pro is £10 or so cheaper than the equivalent citrus power so I may have to get that next

edit, there's £5 in it. May go cp

Knuckles

I've posted a link to clean your car because they stock the mini, large and the GO so you can just have a look at all three.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/ez-detail-brush-mini/prod_581.html

I believe you can also get them on ebay with free delivery so it will defiantly be worth shopping around if you decide to buy one.

VP citrus is well worth a try.

EDIT: when I bought my 5 litres of VP a few years ago it was only £15! The price increase is a bit of a shame because at that price it was great value. Now the price has gone up it does make citrus power appealing. The VP citrus is still a great product tho even at £20.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Don't buy the mini one. Get the proper one. My one is 3 years old and mint. Wouldn't buy another brush in that style from anyone else.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Diluted VP citrus pre wash at their suggested ratios isn't as affective as AF Citrus power diluted 1:1. I'm yet to try VP at this dilution though. I've tried a few but still go back to citrus power so now buy it in bulk 5l bottles.

As said ez detail wheel brush then a valet pro 1" for the faces

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Got 5L of carchem snow foam delivered today
What sort of dilution is best? Usually go for an inch in bottom of bottle of snow foam lance

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
What do people use for cleaning soft tops?

I'm pretty sure my mx5's roof is vinyl but I have no idea what to try on it, google seems to bring up all sorts of rubbish.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Quoting myself like a cool kid.

What do people use for cleaning soft tops?

I'm pretty sure my mx5's roof is vinyl but I have no idea what to try on it, google seems to bring up all sorts of rubbish.

I've just bought some 303 aerospace protectant so will give that a try, it will come in handy for my engine bay too :)

Mini JCW
After using a MicroFibre Madness drying towel I can honestly say I won't try another brand - it puts the CG wooly mammoth and Sonus waffle weave towels to shame.

Got 5L of carchem snow foam delivered today
What sort of dilution is best? Usually go for an inch in bottom of bottle of snow foam lance

Check the directions - it should give you an ideal dilution ratio.

An inch or two if snow foam is pretty much what I go for though (depending on the viscosity I want).

While I'm at it making a shopping list, which nook and cranny brushes?

VP brushes or the Auto Finesse hog hair brushes

I've just bought some 303 aerospace protectant so will give that a try, it will come in handy for my engine bay too :)

They aren't the same product - the 303 product you use on the hood is 'Smart Fabric', not the plastic dressing you can use in the engine bay.

Let me know how you get on with it though, i've protected mine with Gtechniq i1 and am not impressed with it in all honesty.

Fiesta ST3
you will all be happy to know, im keeping G1 now as apparently it can be had cheaper than my asking price of £12 delivered from gtechniq themselves (£10.99 + £3.68 postage = £15.40 :rolleyes: )

not worth selling got less than £12 tbh, so keeping it and il give it a try next week :)

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
They aren't the same product - the 303 product you use on the hood is 'Smart Fabric', not the plastic dressing you can use in the engine bay.

Let me know how you get on with it though, i've protected mine with Gtechniq i1 and am not impressed with it in all honesty.

My roof is vinyl so it's the same product for me :) I'm assuming your roof is similar to the mohair '5 ones?