ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It may have done tbh Kev, the torch I used to check it wasn't hugely bright. If its still sunny when I leave work later I'll hopefully get a better idea if its marred or not.

I'll try tripple on a finishing pad next. Didn't really think that would have been enough to do anything lol, hence why I just used a white pad

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not all are the same but on the whole Hondas are silly soft.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I checked the car under petrol station lights last night and there doesn't appear to be any marring. Just a few deeper marks that haven't came out.

Will continue with this combo and see if it'll get any of the deeper marks out on that area. I'll try tripple on the rest though. If that works then even better!

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
@gally

Looking to do a winter prep detail on my girlfriend's father's car this weekend. It's just had a small bit of paint in a few places a couple of days ago. I know that claying these areas will probably be out of the question, but will iron X and tar X, even through run off from other places have any effect on it? What about polishing (by hand)? Also, will Reload be a better option over a wax purely due to the easier application and removal over having a wax bond to the paint and having to remove it?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would personally try and avoid the area with tar x. It will be fine as long as it's some light mist from other areas but not concentrated on it. Just be canny with it

Hand polishing is fine and reload definitely better than using wax. Not only for newer paint but also protection and it's ability to repel traffic film etc better. You don't want anything lying on new paint for too long really especially bird poop.

FF LY 182
Question guys. Next week I'm going to do my winter detail. I don't have a DA polisher but I have some minor swirls, so I plan to use 50cal filler glaze to hide these. Over the top of that I'm going to use Evo v2 & C1. Now my question is; if I use carpro eraser to prep the surface for the sealant AFTER applying my filler glaze, won't it strip the glaze off revealing the swirls again? Not quite sure how to go about this because I don't want to seriously compromise the durability of the sealant but I still want to use 50cal underneath.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Yes it will strip the glaze, revealing the light swirling. Exo needs a clean surface to bond to.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
As per dawn, to use Exo etc do a proper polishing session even if it's not perfect. Then use eraser and then follow from there.

Tad concerned about the exo side of things when you're clearly just getting to grip with basics?

FF LY 182
Okay thanks @MagpieV6 / @gally .
Well I don't have any experience with machine polishing so I guess that makes me a novice, but I'm fairly confident with the rest of the detailing process. I need to get myself a DA polisher!

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
50 cal glaze is brilliant at hiding stuff even by hand.If you have time do 2 coats of the glaze,it lasts well under either a selaant or good wax.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
thanks thats a wax on my list to try,if your after a new qd try out odk entourage,its glossier than done and dusted by bouncers.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Hey Guys!

Wheels...Do you guys Tardis before IRON X'ing or does the order not really matter?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hey Guys!

Wheels...Do you guys Tardis before IRON X'ing or does the order not really matter?
I usually IX before claying and after de-tarring, as claying can remove some iron which I don't like.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I usually IX before claying and after de-tarring, as claying can remove some iron which I don't like.

Cool. My wheels were refurbed about 5000 miles ago, is claying necessary? I'm hoping to C5 them this weekend :)

Question - posted this on DW also. Already done my winter prep and used AutoGlym EGP on bare paint, cured for 1 hour then a coat of Colli 476s over the top about 30 minutes later. Never tried this as a combo, anyone have any experience of the 2 together? I intend to put another layer of Colli on in a couple of weeks after a wash.

I'm expecting 6 months out of it with top ups of Sonax BSD when required but I'm curious to see how much of a dent Colli may have put in the EGP as I'm aware it has light solvent content.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Good man! Any other questions just ask, also you tube is your friend.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
The joys of having access to a fire station when it's raining outside.

Appliance in the yard and a nice dry area to clean the car.

Could you guys in the know advise me on some products. I'm thinking;

Dodo born to be mild
Iron X & Tar X
Clay mitt

But not sure what polish and wax, for this colour car?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446046433.731357.jpg

Anyone got any advice for a winter wax? Set on collinite 476s but haven't seen or know about anything else. That or sealant?

Nothing to bust the bank either. Tis only a winter wax. Couldn't care less about the shine etc. Sun lasts all of 2 hours before it goes and the cold weather/condensation just sits on the car 24/7

Thanks! :)

MK2 Ph3
Anyone got any advice for a winter wax? Set on collinite 476s but haven't seen or know about anything else. That or sealant?

Nothing to bust the bank either. Tis only a winter wax. Couldn't care less about the shine etc. Sun lasts all of 2 hours before it goes and the cold weather/condensation just sits on the car 24/7

Thanks! :smile:
Under 10 degrees applying a paste wax can leave a smeared finish, As your not bothered by finish this wont matter. However for cold weather liquid waxes are very useful, AG aqua wax or if you want to stick with Collinite they do Collinite 845. These will leave a great finish and are way quicker to apply, they are even quite durable considering how quick they are to apply.

MK2 Ph3
Also, what drying towel and wash mitt would people recommend?
Don't forget for your clay mitt you will need a spray detailer. If you are polishing by hand the poor boys SSR 1 and 2 are good, I wouldn't go anymore abrasive than 2 without having a machine. For wax personally I love Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax. For a drying towel I am a big fan of Purple Monster towels and meguiars do a good lambswool wash mitt.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
For those that work on cars not their own, do you ever not want to correct or try and talk the owners out of it?

I'm a firm believer in get it corrected once and maintain it carefully. A friend with a 330d coupe had his car professionally detailed at the start of the year and I've been trying my best to teach him to maintain it to the point his maintenance wash takes far far too long, but in this time it has picked up some minor swirls and marring. But nothing serious. He was gutted to see swirls after all the decon and wanted it fully corrected again. He plans to keep the car long term but took a lot of convincing not to correct it yet. In the end britemax blackmax on a Scholl concepts black waffle finishing pad was enough to remove some and hide the worse. Topped with britemax vantage it filled even better, looking fully corrected up close in the sunlight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 57

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what it is. Mostly badges with that stuff. Trim... really depends as the tape isn't great.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Has anyone used autosmart stardust?

I was given a can and as it was marketed as a polish / quick detailer, as I'm guessing it's more of a cleanser, I used it to help apply Tripple and found it brilliant.

It kept it somewhat lubed and really aided removal.

No idea of the intended use for this stuff, but it worked for what I used it for.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Depends what it is. Mostly badges with that stuff. Trim... really depends as the tape isn't great.

Basically it's the attached badges. They have always been loose on the drivers side (after a pervious respray) so pretty much fell off during a tardis session.

Iirc they're £60+ from Honda.

I was thinking there might be cheaper ways off restocking them without damaging the paint?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 30