ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Best way to remove foreign paint from a Panel?

A bin was blown into a co workers car today and left its paint on his door and bump strip. Luckily, it didn't dent from what I could see.

I was going to
QD wipe down to remove the surrounding dirt
TARdis to soften it (would this work?)
clay to remove it
polish with srp (not using my new tripple for the first time on someone else's car :eek:)

is is tardis necessary or is it a waste of time?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Is it a painted bin or a plastic wheelie bin?

once the panel is clean try a bit of tar remover to see if it works on the plastic, if it's paint it won't work. Something mildly abrasive like SRP / Tripple should remove the plastic marks.

If it is paint, then a firm / coarse clay should help. but polish would be my choice

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Wash it down after tardis then clay it depending how bad it is

finished the a4 today -tripple + reload :)

12483385503_712ddbcf8a_c.jpg

Audi a4 by JaffmanRS, on Flickr}

12483387183_779d1d8223_c.jpg
\
Audi a4 by JaffmanRS, on Flickr}

12483733974_92a77f46a9_c.jpg

Audi a4 by JaffmanRS, on Flickr

12483256655_08fe1a1855_c.jpg

Audi a4 by JaffmanRS, on Flickr

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Is it a painted bin or a plastic wheelie bin?

once the panel is clean try a bit of tar remover to see if it works on the plastic, if it's paint it won't work. Something mildly abrasive like SRP / Tripple should remove the plastic marks.

If it is paint, then a firm / coarse clay should help. but polish would be my choice

Painted metal bin, I'll bin off the TARdis and just use clay and srp. Cheers :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Looks a nice finish dude, how'd that scratch come along?

Not the best tbh. Ran out of time in the end. Think the halfords paint didn't help, wasn't a good colour match and it didn't sand back nicely.

I stopped before I got too far, was scared of breaking through.

upside being its no longer white, just a dull black

happiest with the top of the back bumper, that was a state!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Previous owner had a dog, so that explains it. Have to admit the focus will probably end up like that lol.

owner is coming at 7 anyway so see what he says

Golf GT & A4 Avant
People always seem to f**k that part of their bumpers, really annoys me lol

You should see the state of our rear bumper, had the A4 estate since Oct/Nov. Have always had a full boot liner that folds out over the bumper, works rally well when the wife bothers to use it!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
DJ Supernatural Hybrid is on a 1 day offer of £20 if anyone is after some? I've never used it so can't comment on the actual product :(

Anyone tried it?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It was marginally more durable than the standard soft wax ddj waxes I'd tried but didn't really meet the claims of a lot of people for me.

Where's it on special offer?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
polishyourcar on DW

£20 in the HTST section.... I'll pass on it I think as already got a few things I've not used.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I ordered ironx at the start of the week from CYC as they didn't have korrossol and they started stocking it mid week. I will be trying it next

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Asked it a while back and Gally rated it highly, As said it gets a good rep on DW

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Report back as I go through quite a lot of IX so if it's as good and cheaper it'll be what I'll switch to.

Mk3 P1 dymanique 16v
As we are on the topic i had an inch of ironX left not used it in bout 3month and its gone cloudy does it still work as well?
its in date still btw

Mk3 P1 dymanique 16v
Thanks Coby. iv used it but as my wheels are black you cant see it working some bleading but not sure if it would work at full strength

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'm trying to remember but I'm sure mine sits cloudy at the bottom so needs a shake? So may be as you're nearing the bottom it just appears more cloudy?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Chaps. In work we currently use products by 'Autosmart' and although good we are trying to cut costs. Ive been asked to get from one of the valeters a silicone based polish, whats the differenece between that and a none silicone based product. Noticable on use?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Silicone hides a lot, hence why the valeter wants it. Can't be used where any painting occurs. Garages plaster cars in silicone polishes, it's a nightmare to remove from anywhere and if left on. Bloody hate the stuff.

None the less if the valeter wants it!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ah right, thank you. Makes sense as i got some stuff from another company that wasnt silicone based and he didnt like it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
  Clio MK3
Looking for a low priced wax as I am new to the detialing scene, and not wanting to go crazy with my first few purchases. Would you purchase the Autoglym HD wax or the Autofinesse 'Temptation' wax? Can these waxes both be easily applied by a microfiber cloth as I do not have a machine polisher.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Looking for a low priced wax as I am new to the detialing scene, and not wanting to go crazy with my first few purchases. Would you purchase the Autoglym HD wax or the Autofinesse 'Temptation' wax? Can these waxes both be easily applied by a microfiber cloth as I do not have a machine polisher.

If you wanted to try some Temptation I could do you a 30ml sample? That'd be enough for a quite a few cars. £7.00 delivered if you're interested, PM me. I'll chuck in an applicator pad too if you'd like

Clio MK3
If you wanted to try some Temptation I could do you a 30ml sample? That'd be enough for a quite a few cars. £7.00 delivered if you're interested, PM me. I'll chuck in an applicator pad too if you'd like

Thanks for the offer, but I think I would rather buy a tub as it would last me sometime I would imagine. What are your opnions on the temptation wax, in terms of finish and application? Do you give the car a coat of polish after?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Thanks for the offer, but I think I would rather buy a tub as it would last me sometime I would imagine. What are your opnions on the temptation wax, in terms of finish and application? Do you give the car a coat of polish after?

If you wre to polish, it should be before the wax, not after.

Temptation is an entry level wax, and performs exactly like that. Application is OK, it's a bit more stubborn to remove than some of the more expensive waxes, but get the cure time right and it's not terrible. Durability, I wouldn't expect more than 2 - 3 months if I'm honest. But, for the money thats plenty good enough!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I say it time and time again the AF brand just feels very diluted. Temptation, soul, passion.. I couldn't actually tell you the differences or where they sit in the range. I'm not saying they're not nice to use but i'd rather have a pot of Finis Wax or even a nice Dodo Juice one.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Desire is nice to use i'll admit, it feels a little more boutique and the colour etc helps... but, I know it's not really a limited boutique wax and at that price it needs to be special imo.

White APE
What would you chaps recommended for removing these stains?

My subway coke decided to throw itself everywhere when getting in the car.

utyjy2yp.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Plenty of good foaming cleaners, autosmart do one. Personally i'd find a local valeting place with a wet/dry vac and get it done properly. extraction/foam is the only way. You'll just end up with wet seats otherwise.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
As Kev says, take it to the local hand wash at the supermarket and ask them to do the inside, will probably only cost £10/£20.

For interiors, our local place is pretty decent with the wet vac

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Recommend me a grime, bug, tar, general paint crap remover?
Could really do with some for the Civic.