ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dephaser

bmw 328i & 172 PH2
hello everyone, im new this and renaults in general, just bought myself a 172 yesterday.

been doin a bit of reasearch on these engines etc...

these dephaser pulleys do they have a expected lifetime or change intervals and how can you check it is functioning correctly ?

CLIO Iceberg 172
Welcome to the forum matey
just had mine done with the cam belt, basically they should run for at least two belt changes, but if your engine sounds like a taxi idealing then it prob needs changing, typically you will find that it sounds very tappy, and you might have a erratic ideal. ill be uploading a video of what a fooked one sounds like soon.
cost about 180 on top of a belt change.
its dirty oil that kills them, so regular oil changes are a must

Beaten to the vid's lol

bmw 328i & 172 PH2
ooo im gona check the sound of mine tomorrow after seeing that vid, but i might change it when i change my timing belt soon...
i am a mechanic myself but ive not come across one of these types of vvt yet, ive come across bmw vanos and honda vtec.
but this is pretty much the same principal as every other system.

bmw 328i & 172 PH2
Done plenty of renaults , same principal , got the locking tools at work ... Just haven't done one with a dephaser yet

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Only way to check if they are really is sound, how long they last depends on the life that they have had in the first place (rpm etc)

Easy enough to change if you are competent at doing belts.

bmw 328i & 172 PH2
no noise at all, was just curious to see if they had an expected lifetime but defo next month when i can and its not busy at work i will get round to it, changing the timing belt.

might aswell do the dephaser while im there to save problems later on

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
no noise at all, was just curious to see if they had an expected lifetime but defo next month when i can and its not busy at work i will get round to it, changing the timing belt.

might aswell do the dephaser while im there to save problems later on

Makes sense if keeping a long time. You are highly unlikely to ever need to do it again unless you do 100k miles using not great oil.

Ph1
If your handy with the spanners i wouldn't worry a jot about the dephaser. Just replace it when it needs doing.

The mass hysteria with the dephaser is all down to the cost of a cambelt changing.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If your handy with the spanners i wouldn't worry a jot about the dephaser. Just replace it when it needs doing.

The mass hysteria with the dephaser is all down to the cost of a cambelt changing.

Agreed, I didnt bother putting a new one on my turbo despite all the money I spent building the engine, didnt see any point in replacing one that is fine anyway, will just do it if it ever needs doing in future.

would be a different story if I was paying a few hundred quid labour though I guess!

bmw 328i & 172 PH2
Agreed, I didnt bother putting a new one on my turbo despite all the money I spent building the engine, didnt see any point in replacing one that is fine anyway, will just do it if it ever needs doing in future.

would be a different story if I was paying a few hundred quid labour though I guess!

true since labour isn't a problem for me, and the dephaser is working thinking I could just change the belt I suppose

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm 95% sure its dephaser then, which means new cambelt & aux belt kits unfortunately! It's expensive yes but you are guaranteed piece of mind after the work is done!

No worries then as my belts are due in a few months anyway :)
The dephaser is part of the cam kit I assume, yeah?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
LoLz... no, its a separate part I'm afraid.

We do belts and dephaser with an oil and filter change for £560 though (and thats with genuine belt kits to)

www.diamondmotors.co.uk

Mick

FF Racing Blue 182
just reading this....so if you have just had both belt kits done why would you need both new kits again if the dephaser needs done later on

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
just reading this....so if you have just had both belt kits done why would you need both new kits again if the dephaser needs done later on

Because no one is likely to remove and refit a secondhand cambelt realistically, especially given that the tensioners never want to sit quite right the second time they are tensioned so its difficult to have confidence the tension is set correctly (although thats just the cambelt, I would happily re-use an aux belt if it was nearly new TBH)

FF Racing Blue 182
Makes me wish I got mine done now after forking out a wedge of my wages on the belts

Another question can the MPG change after belt changes

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

you wouldn't. If both full kits are new (less than 6 months/6k) then just 2 new belts and a couple of blanking plugs are all you'd need.

Clio 182
People help !!! Change cam belts kit and aux kit + water pump few weeks ago but not change dephaser pulley . Now engine when heat ticking . Tomorrow add a video to youtube.com with engine sound to diagnose . Sorry for my english if you don`t understand .... CS Member waal ;) Cheers

275 Trophy
Take it back to the garage and ask them? Read this thread and you have all the answers of what to do if it is the dephaser that needs changing. Good luck.

Ph1
People help !!! Change cam belts kit and aux kit + water pump few weeks ago but not change dephaser pulley . Now engine when heat ticking . Tomorrow add a video to youtube.com with engine sound to diagnose . Sorry for my english if you don`t understand .... CS Member waal ;) Cheers

Probably more related to the new belts than being the dephaser.

If its a dephaser you would really know about it, proper heavy rattling