ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decisions Decisions track day tyres

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Right picked these up a few days ago currently undergoing a re-spray

HPIM2428.jpg

[
hpim2427-1.jpg

info is

7j
et-45
R17

whats the difference between 7j on these and 7.5j on my standard R27 rims? could i still get 215/45/17?

1st track day is booked for 11th at cadwell park

Now the question! im seriously confused with which tyres will be most suitable for me and even more confused about which dimensions to go for! my current contact 3's on my standard wheels are 215/45/R17
so i go for this on my trackday wheels or something different?

now tyre makes! ive heard great things about hankook Sr2's for the track and they come in around £79 Per corner but could i honestly just get some crap rubber for like £40 and tear the crap out of them on the track? will i seriously notice the difference being a newbie and all? just dont wanna be wasting money for no reason!!

also can people recommend me some tyres with links if possible

all help will be greatly appreciated

neil

rps13
whats the difference between 7j on these and 7.5j on my standard R27 rims?

They're narrower, probably want to use your standard wheels on track for more rubber contact, your handling will be better.

I think 205 width will be the max you'd want to run on 7j. Woops.

172 Cup
you could run 215/45 on a 7j, personly i would run 205/45.

rubber wise you will notice a difference between them even as a newbie. I have heard some ok reports for the hankooks but never experienced or used them myself.

i would say get a descent set of road tyres to use on track, yoko parda 2's, toyo t1r or bridestone re50's would be my choices then once you have got used to driving on track and picked up your confidence then move on to the likes of toyo r888's, yoko ao48 and you will notice a massive difference. personly i woud say r888 as the ao's are not worth the extra. brilliant road legal tyres

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
They're narrower, probably want to use your standard wheels on track for more rubber contact, your handling will be better.

fook that Tucker! there spotless lol

cheers for the advice aron was thinking about some decent (cheap) road use tyres

toyo tr1's look decent at 65 per corner!

Last edited:

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member

fook that Tucker! there spotless lol

cheers for the advice aron was thinking about some decent (cheap) road use tyres

toyo tr1's look decent at 65 per corner!

rps13
ahh, well if you're not bothered about things like that i'd probably just put some ditchfinders on, will be cheaper.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I'll tell you how good the Hankooks are.
The Conti 3's are sitting in the garage after 1000miles;)
Don't confuse these with economy shiit tyres they are awesome. I used to run R888's but never lasted long for track/road use.
Your standard road tyres will get torn up & overheat in no time in this weather & sidewalls roll under.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=431189 gives you some idea of how good they are;)

There is a reason they are out of stock everywhere in common sizes, the people who know;)

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
cheers steve they are gonna be purely track use nowt else! except to get me to the track and back lol they will come off

so i can defiantly get 215/45/R17??? without fitting issues