ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decent money for a decent 172

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
And can I find one NO!

Looking to spend 3k for a ph2 Clio. Prefer look of the ph1 but the dash etc really puts me off. I'm going to be doing fair mileage so want an interior I like.

Went to look at a ph2 today and what a let down. It's up for 3700 to start with 54'000miles on clock. Interiors mint and had a great FSH but it was bo less than 3 different blacks. Bonnet gaps were wayyyyyyy off. N/s wind and door was repaired with loads of s**t in the paint. O/s/r quarter was a black waaayyyyy off colour.

I don't mind a 90k example as long as it's up together and has service history.

Gutted as it drove amazingly and gave me my 1st taste of a 172 in twisties.

Am I asking to much for a good 172 ph2 around the 3-3.5k mark?

172 (sold), Elise,
I bought one yesterday, mint inside, mint history, 44k. I need to spend about £200 on paint but its about in your price bracket.

If you want a silver one there are some absolute bargains.

Was the black one you saw in London with a very loud exhaust? If so I also saw it yesterday. If its not the same on pm me as I think it was a decently buy.

If your very fussy either be prepared to spend a few quid getting it to your standard or pay top dollor for one.

Personally I was mainly after a clean one with decent SH - happy to get paint looked at myself.

S3, Polo
My brother in law has just bought a very nice '03 Monaco that needs a cambelt service and wheel refurb for £2800.

Maybe he was lucky, but I think you'll find one in your budget if you're savvy and keep looking!!

:D

In fact, there are a few Cups in the FS section for ~£3.5k if that suits?

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
The black one I speak of is on London road cowplain.

I'd have thought 3-3.5k would be enough minty Minto ones seems to be up for 4k and I'm a bit harsh on haggling sometimes ;)

anyone know of a way to make the dash on a ph1 look a little nicer? Tbh I'd prefer a mint ph1 to a ph2. Trying to avoid a cup as insurance company didn't seem
keen.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I agree, need 4k IMO.

Lol at all the it's mint but i needed to spend money on a respray, wheel refurb etc.

Mountune Tractor
The black one I speak of is on London road cowplain.

I'd have thought 3-3.5k would be enough minty Minto ones seems to be up for 4k and I'm a bit harsh on haggling sometimes ;)

anyone know of a way to make the dash on a ph1 look a little nicer? Tbh I'd prefer a mint ph1 to a ph2. Trying to avoid a cup as insurance company didn't seem
keen.

DO NOT BUY THAT CAR FROM LONDON ROAD MOTORS!!!

I went and looked at it about a month ago, started on one side of the car....great...round the back.....great....other side of the car.....fantastic.....looked through window.....interior mint.....went round the front.........oh dear.
NO Xenons and a standard clio grill. Admittedly it might be a cat c/d and somebody might be happy to buy it knowing that but I walked away at that price.
I have been looking around the south coast for a while now and you certainly won't get a mint example for 3k, not even a 51 plate imo.
4k will see you in the best.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I know it's terrible lol!!

My best mates a sprayer for his dads company cosham bodyshop and he couldn't believe it. Didnt even bother with an hpi but apparently it's hpi clear! Obviously just not recorded

Mountune Tractor
I know it's terrible lol!!

My best mates a sprayer for his dads company cosham bodyshop and he couldn't believe it. Didnt even bother with an hpi but apparently it's hpi clear! Obviously just not recorded

HPI clear! Some poor fucker is going to buy that unknowingly. Shame.

immaculate clio 172
Yes as already stated your gonna need a bigger budget matey.
This is what i bought a couple of weeks ago,

2002 clio 172
Silver, ph2
Xenons
44,000 miles
1 previous owner
full renault service history
climate control (recently re-gassed)
6 disc changer
full tax/mot
Belts changed last year
New continental tyres
Unmarked 16" alloys
spotless inside + out
Credit to the owner
Got this for £4000

i looked at a few others for a little less and its amazing how much more car you get for just the 4k mark compared to the £3000-£3500 budget.
Wait until you have a little more cash and get a good one look hard and you get a minter for 4k be patient ;)

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I have the cash. I just thought I might get lucky. I'll up the budget I think. Still really tempted by a ph1 but would miss climate control etc like I have in our Alfa.

I'd rather a standard 172. I don't really want a barry boy exhaust etc :)

immaculate clio 172
Yes mate i would aggree with you there about wanting a standard one, when i was looking for mine if i seen one with a load of halfords junk hanging off it id just ignore it lol, these cars get thrashed anyway without buying one that looks thrashed by someone barely old enough to drive lol you will get a good one for 4k mate low mileage and full service history is the way to go and 1 or 2 owners aswell really imo

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Well I spent 3 months trying to find the perfect Alfa selespeed and found it so think I'm just going to leave the money sat in the safe until I find the right one.

I think 172's will end up like the 205 gti's eventually. Trying to find one that's not ragged will be a task in itself.

immaculate clio 172
yes i suspect so rory its getting that way with them already tbh i no where there is a immaculate 52 plate 172 in blue with 34k on clock up for £4400 ONO absolutely stunning car but only problem is that its a cup model so slightly quicker but no aircon etc trhats only thing that made me not buy it tbh shame its a cup lol

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Same thing holds me back from buying a cup. It's nice to have mod cons. If there was a big difference in performance I'd probably give in and have one.