ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat nightmare!!!

Clio 182 cup
After quite some time of trouble free mototing, my car is failing me again :(Basically i've swapped around my ktr decat with my cat several times for mot's etc and haven't had any issues. i have just brought and fitted the scorpion decat as it's a bit easier to fit then the ktr one. Now when the car is cold and the choke is on, I can accerelarate for around a second before it gets bogged down and will not accerelarate. When the car has warmed up, it's fine. Anybody have any ideas about this as the car is undrivable.

Clio 182 cup
Yeah I know they're jerky from cold, but you can put the accelerator pedal to the floor and nothing happens, just a load of popping and no power, but if u lift off and apply accelerator, it's fine for 1 or 2 seconds, then back 2 no power. Does the ecu need 2 adjust as I've had the at on for a few months?

Clio 182 cup
Never had this before, just happened from switching the cat to the new scorpion Decat. Just been out in my car again, intermittent power during acceleration when cold, warmed up it's fine. Disconnected batt for a few hours, still the same :(

ph1 Sunflower
Mine has the same problem just got it back from garage having work done fitted decat and no power when cold and lots of back firing... I took mine to my friend he plugged it in to the computer says Lambda sensor Bank 1 but i've just had that changed a month ago :(

Clio 182 cup
Is ur car ok once up 2 temp? If it was an issue with the lambda sensor then surely the problen would there there when the car was driven from cold and when up to temp?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I used to have this with my first 182 running decat too. Like foot to the floor but power draining. Then it would kick in.

Was a very rare occurance, but annoying.

Clio 182 cup
How have people sorted it coz at the min it's undrivable from cold as most of the time there literally isn't any power.

Sounds like a lamba sensor issue. I had the exact same thing happen to mine a couple of times but I also had hesitation at 4k, what ever the engine temp. Swapped the lamba sensor and neither of the symptoms have happened again.

Clio 182 cup
Update: just started the car as it's been sat there for a few hours. It was idling very erratically, at points sounding like it was going 2 stall, pressing the throttle a little or fully would respond after a few seconds but it would barely increase the revs and engine really struggled. After 3 mins, idle fine, revving responsive as normal, driving fine throughout rev range etc. Really strange this as I know from cold there are not the most responsive but this is 100 times worse then normal and I can't drive it straight away coz it would be dangerous pulling out at a junction when u haven't got throttle. It feels like lambda sensor related but after 3 mins it's fine, which is annoying!

Sorry for the massive paragraph and thanks for the help so far.

ph1 Sunflower
Mine was fine when warm yesterday but today its just doing it all time, I have to keep turning car off and on every 2 minutes to get throttle lasts for 2 minutes then goes back into limp mode... Going to take the lambda sensors off tomorrow and check them.

Clio 182 cup
Let me know how u get on Gazzeth. Don't know whether 2 invest in an eBay fault code reader or throw money at a lambda sensor. Gonna drive it 2 work for a few days letting it warm up first 2 see if it sorts itself out!

Clio 182 cup
Glad u got it sorted. No change with mine although there is a pattern to it. When I start the car from cold it idles fine and is a bit ruff like it was previously, it appears that when the closed loop map stage kicks in it has no power when u try and accerelarate and back fires, but after 1-2 mins it runs fine. Could it be the heating element of the ho2 sensor that's gone wrong and the sensor needs to get warm before behaving itself???
I'm not a mechanic so apologies if what I said is nonsense lol!

ph1 Sunflower
Is your engine management light on? If so why not just take it to a local garage and ask them to see what fault comes up?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
sounds like the lambda has given up!

and it may be the faulty lambda combined with the very rich cold map that the clios run that cause the problems (hence why its fine after a few mintes). if its not the lambda then you have no choice but to plug it into fault readers!

Clio 182 cup
My engine management light is on but this is because the cat lambda sensor isn't connected as I couldn't get it out the cat, so I'm using a lambda blank. Gotta be the lambda sensor, also it stinks of fuel I've noticed, can't remember it smelling that bad with a Decat fitted!

Why the hell do people still keep fitting decats to clios?

The 182 cat is a 200 cell - the same as a sports cat.
I have a 200 cell sports cat on my car running 200bhp

It doesn't gain you any power.

</ rant>

And yeah just replace the lambda - they're not even expensive

Clio 182 cup
Ok ok, just making sure as I haven't got money to burn if it doesn't help lol. I like having a decat coz I think it much sounds better with one, personal choice at the end of the day though.