ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat disadvantage??

My 172 is decat and I heard that it will make the back box gone sooner. Is that true? What other parts may get worn becos of decat?

Well, it smells quite bad when the car has decat. I know it sounds strange, but I do want to put the catalic convertor back :p

My emission light is not on, I guess I unpluged something.

Actually, is that normal when the car smells really bad when you have decat?

b/g 182, meg tourer
yeah it is normal that the fumes stink with a decat. i don't think they do any damage to the exhaust system, they may wear out baffles quicker due to more fumes but i wouldn't have thought so.
only reason i got rid of mine was that it gave me such a headache.

Do u need to put the catalic convertor back during MOT?

In HK, many people don't becos some garage can make the decat car pass the MOT without problem, as long as you know the MOT people. Well, it is not good to do that, but still a lot of decat car on the street. Same as mileage counter adjustment, I am sure some bad used car dealer do that. I think the vehicle document should have the car's mileage on. It is always strange to see some low mileage old car in the used car market.

Inferno 182 Cup
What Decat Does you Guys have?

like a plank i got the 2.5mm one thinking it would fit my JanSpeed..... Fail.

rps13
In England a decat is an illegal modification.

Your insurance is invalid if you crash and the police have the power to crush your car.

Black 197
In England a decat is an illegal modification.

Your insurance is invalid if you crash and the police have the power to crush your car.

+1

Dont see the point in taking it off for such minor gains, Get stopped by one of them popo road checks and your fubared..

Ph1
-2 ^^

Police have got better things to do than get involved with insurance disputes.

As for minor gains rubbish. Decat on a 172 is probably the best value for money bolt on mod you can do. 182 gains to be had but less so due to the better cat

Black 197
Were i live i see loads of them police things were they pull you over and ram some tish up your exhaust... i know what your saying about a decat and all but is it worth it for all that/possible agro ? For me no for others thats down to you

Black 197
think its something to do with the low emmisions crap they got within greater london, they have vosa with them and they check your car all over and test emmisions, see about 2 or 3 of them stops a week

alien green rs133
think its something to do with the low emmisions crap they got within greater london, they have vosa with them and they check your car all over and test emmisions, see about 2 or 3 of them stops a week

mobile emmision testers

LPG FTW :D

Audi TT
On the note of void insurance if you tell them then surely it's fine. Or tell them it's got a "straight though" exhaust if they're funny about decats?!?

them VOSA tester galaxy's are all over the M6, beware, always on a slip road too, usually with a traffic patrol car hiding infront of them too

Ph1
No insurance = illegal and is a Police matter

Have insurance but voiding it by mods that arnt covered or found not to be covered is a insurance matter not a Police one.

VOSA would do a whole number of checks, broken headlights, bald tyres, dodgy fuel etc but if your cars breaking the emissions regs you'll probably get a slip telling you to go away and sort it then come back for a re-check at worst.

You can fail emissions on a car WITH a cat if theres happens to be a defect!

Black 197
Exactly that Andy... Saw one on the way to work just now, Never been stopped by one funny enough though, Infact i've never been pulled by the popo in the 3 yrs of owning my RS

Ph1
Do we know ANY insurers that would insure a decat?or is this a plain no from them all?

Might be wrong but im sure i read ages back of one company that does?

It is a illegal mod after all as all cars after a certain date by law have to have one fitted so insurance isnt going to cover something illegal

why is this the case? subaru specislist insurers all insure decats and turbo back exhausts even on the newage scooby models.. why can they be insured and not on clios?

Jap Shed
What about the ktec sports cat ? Still has a small silencer and is road legal? More performance from it??

living near the hole that is London = fail

countryside rules!

Fred, london isn't a "hole" and seems you have never been here I suggest you shut your mouth ;)

Decats are only risky imo if they are silly loud - talking yozza loud here. The police do not inspect emissions at the road side, the VOSA vans however do. If they do check they can then take your car off via a police call out.

why is this the case? subaru specislist insurers all insure decats and turbo back exhausts even on the newage scooby models.. why can they be insured and not on clios?

Probably because they use the age old trick of calling the exhaust "a straight through manifold-back system" which technically is correct.

Cliosport 182
Yeah B'ham police are always pulling cars over in the city centre for emmision tests - you have been warned lol