ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

decat/cat problems

ur megane r26
i bought a decat for my car a couple of months back and only just got round to fitting it, but i went out there today to try and undo my original cat and the thing wont come off, i got one bolt of the one near the lamba (sp) sensor couldnt get the lamba (sp) sensor bolt off and couldnt get the little bolts off at the top, the reason i am telling you all this is because my mechanic friend said that it would be worth buying some new bolts due to them maybe breaking, if they are being really stiff and hard to get off do you lot reckon i should stop for now and go and get some new bolts? Another thing is will i need a new gasket? which goes between the cat and whatever it connects to due to it maybe splitting? the car is only on 27 k miles by the way so it isnt that old, would appreciate the advice as quickly as possible thanks

alex

Iceburg 172FF
the gasket is only a few quid, when i fitted mine i reused the old gasket and bolts now its blowing quite badly so im gonna get new bolts/gasket worth spending a few quid and saving you take it back off to fit a new one a few miles down the line

if the mechanic is your friend i wouldn't see him giving you bad advice so i would go for the bolts and have him fit the part for you

ur megane r26
ok cool i will probly take a drive down there today then can i ask when you fitted yours how did you get the bolts off, did they come off pretty easy, i mean mine are like impossible to even budge and i didnt want to keep going at them incase i shear the ends off or something

Iceburg 172FF
fitted mine about 6 weeks ago now its rattling/blowing through out the range, picking up new gasket and fitting kit for it tonight. bolts where a bit tight but spray a bit of wd40 or something in there and let it soak in and try again

ur megane r26
good idea ok cheers mate will go and get the extra parts hopefully today if they have them in stock this time and then change it thanks for you advice fella anyone else want to add anything be my guessed lol

ur megane r26
right im officialli f**ked off now i have been working on the car all day and i got all but one bolt off but that bugger just doesnt want to budge, anyone got any advice on how to get b**ch bolts off lol

P

Paul Common 666

Havnt read the whole thread mate, but, have you tried freeing spray or getting the bolt really hot?

ur megane r26
not tried the really hot thing but have put loads of wd40 on it and that sorted the other bolt just not this one it is the bolts which attach the cat to the manifold/downpipe wot ever it is

P

Paul Common 666

Only things I can think of is getting the bolts hot (that usually works!), or more leveridge ie longer spanner or ratchet!

ur megane r26
yer well the more leverage thing is out of the window as there aint much room under there so am goin to have to get it hot, but i am abit worried bout this as it is under the engine and i dont want to blow anything up lol

P

Paul Common 666

You'll be ok if you use direct heat to the bolt.

Wont your mechanic freind do it for you? He probably has better tools... no offence meant!

ur megane r26
lol no offense taken na my dad is a mechanic or used to be and still has all the tools so im good tools way and my mate could do it but i no wot im doin it is just gettin that bolt of which has made me come a cropper lol and my mechanic friend i would have to give a couple of quid to out of common curteousy u no lol but have also been told there is a releasin gel or something so when i go to renault tomor i will get all the stuff from there and then the other stuff cheers for your help mate

ur megane r26
hey only just seen your last message paul, erm yer finally got back around to doing it today, and i used something called duck oil? and it worked a treat, got all of the bolts off as easy as anything, got the new gasket on, put the decat on, and tightened everything up as much as possible, and it sounds rough, and thats an understatement, i mean you know the old camper vans, i mean the really old ones which have seen bad days and alot of them, it sounded like that it was horrible, so had to take it off and put the cat back on, dont know what i did wrong but it wasnt pretty, cheers for your help anyway, dont quite know what to do about it now

RS RIP
Is it possible tightening those two springbolts too much ? Then you'll lose the "flex" in that section maybe and make it vibrate/rough as you stated

Just a thought..

CS Dungeon
Sounds like it was probably blowing at the gasket.

Next time they get stuck (and they will in no time), just grind them off and replace with new. Saves a lot of time faffing about

ur megane r26
yer well i havent replied to this thread for a while mainly because i forgot about it lol but the reason it was blowing, and this is what my mechanic mate said was because the decat was not for my car which i was told it was, it has the wrong end on it, the end which goes to the pipe which attaches to the backbox has the same joint on it as the pipe which joins to the cat from the backbox, so it doesnt sit flush and tight, basically like a ball and socket joint, whereas the old cat had a ball joint which went to the socket on the pipe which goes to the backbox and decat has a socket which joins onto a socket so it blows from there, so it dont fit so got to sell it but havent got around to it yet, going to loose alot of money though...