ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat? Can't decide

2004 182
Need a new 02 post cat sensor, so considering a decat at same time. I have a standard exhaust with scorpion end section I think as just bought the car.
Which decat pipe would you suggest or would you not bother at all? My system has a cat and middle silencer and two back boxes for each tail pipe so 4 boxes in total so don't think it will be too noisy. What's best way to do it? Lambda in or?? Cheers

renault clio 1.4 16v
de cat is well worth it in my opinion, you get a lot more throttle response and slightly more noise :)

renault clio 1.4 16v
nope, ive got a wee 1.4 so a remap wouldnt make much difference :rasp: as for the post lambda, stuck it right back where it was... some clios complain and bring up the eml light on the dash which is easily negatable, and some like mine dont notice and carry on as normal... there are quite a few threads on this, bt some other options are just to tie the sensor up somethere out of the way, just be mindfull that the tip has a heater element in it... so if u do tie it out of the way be carefull where you put it, i have also read about some people just unplugging the sensor with no ill results... its only function is to check if the cat is doing its job or not, so weather the sensor is smelling ur exhaust or the fresh air, it matters not... dosnt make a difference to the engine management in any way...

renault clio 1.4 16v
or... if it does bring up the eml light u can always throw in a mini cat adapter that fools the sensor into thinking there is still a cat.

LY FF182
On a 172 it might help a bit, you won't really notice any performance gains.. and it'll make Mot time a right hassle and if you get pulled by a copper who's had a bad day and wants to make a point of it can make you get it taken off. Not worth it. I fitted a cat back onto my 182 and it's so much nicer, better torque mid range and less cabin noise.

Clio 182
Bit of a hijack, but possibly of use to the OP...... an alternative would obviously be removing the centre silencer - but (not that it's ever easy to describe) how much of a different does that make? Bit of an extra 'bark' or 'full-chav'?

On a 172 it might help a bit, you won't really notice any performance gains.. and it'll make Mot time a right hassle and if you get pulled by a copper who's had a bad day and wants to make a point of it can make you get it taken off. Not worth it. I fitted a cat back onto my 182 and it's so much nicer, better torque mid range and less cabin noise.

I agree. Put my cat back on for the mot, couldn't be bothered with hassle and the cabin noise on the m/way was a bit tedious. You don't get much BHP from a decat just mot hassle. Plus you might kill your lambda sensors. Torque improvement mid range is of more use than the noise.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Post cat lambda sensor (if it comes out) will be straight forward. Changing to a Decat is a pain in the as s and will give you nothing but more noise and a warning light on the dash. Save your money and/or time.

Edit, just noticed its a 182 so would be easier but still not worth it. I'll keep it in for anyone thinking of doing a 172 cat swap. Lol

LY FF182
I thought it was 172 hence my earlier reply, if it's a 182 then even more so don't bother as 182 cat is only 200 cell which is the same as most sport cats anyway. Save time money and hassle and keep the cat in place. Sensors are easy though

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Decats, as above, not worth it IMO for exactly the reasons above. Hassle = Money Vs lack of performance for said Money.

Spend your money on making it lighter and handling mods is far more sensible IMO.