ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead 172 break or fix ??

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
Well 172 I'd bought as a project the crankshaft has gone

Now car is 2002 with 97k owes me 1300 sadly after getting car and belts and service done two weeks ago

Will cost 750 for replacement engine fitted

Worth doing or getting £500 for the current car with parts and scrap value putting the 750 together and getting a new one or fix current car.
Looking for objective thoughts really

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
If it was my car i'd drop in a new engine,
but i've had mine 5 years and i'm quite attached to it.

You're going to spend £750 of your own money whatever you do,
probably cheaper to drop in a new engine rather than getting another car though.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
I can be very handy if it means making some money back, plus my garage is empty at the mo, so unless I can get cheap strong engine it will be in the parts section and I'll be taking bits off it as I go along

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you strip every last bit (i've recently done it) you should get back around £1200. Plus I got £70 when I weighed the shell in.

Although I got £200 for the engine so your figure will be lower.

I won't be doing it again though. This forum is full of peniless millionaires who seem to thrive on messing people about.

If I was you, stick a secondhand engine in it, carry on with it.

pimp mobile Zafira
I'd also go down the route of sticking another engine in. It'll be cheaper than buying another car.

I'd also go down the route of sticking another engine in. It'll be cheaper than buying another car.

Hi. Sorry to jump on to someone elses thread, but i have the same predicament. Can someone suggest some places to look for a good low mileage engine please? Mine let go at the weekend and the garage i take it to said about £5k for fitting one, but Brooky 182 above says £750 fitted. I would definitely get it done for £750, but not £5k! I have had my 172 since new in 2002 and was a member of cliosport.net back then, I don't really want to part with it. Thanks for any replies. Stu.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
5k?!?! They've just plucked a figure out of the sky mate, it's more than possible to swap an engine in a day, finding a good one is the tricky bit

MX5 Elise111s
I've just had same problem. Managed to find a replacement engine for £350. Had chance to hear it running before it was taken out. There was quite a bit of history on the car on this forum and Mick at Diamond was able to confirm the belts had been done properly in last couple of years. He quoted £380 to swap the engine over including all fluids which was pretty reasonable I thought. So the figure of £750 seems about right. Fingers crossed now.

I've only been a member of this forum 3 weeks but really pleased I joined as there some real helpful guys on here.