ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-Icer?!?!

Polo Bluemotion
Just been out in my car for the 1st time 2day, it was all frozen up, as it is -4c!! lol
I was just wonderin, as ill prob be using de icer alot more over the next few months, is it harmful in anyway to the paintwork?? Had it pc'd+polished a few weeks ago, so dont want to undo the hard work!!

Ps> Any advice on the clios ridiculous sunroof?!?! Mines held water all round the edge of the glass,frozen+squeeks,creeks+rattles while driving. Sooooo annoying!!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I've read it's not good for the rubber seals around the windows and i'm guessing it can't be great for the paintwork. I'm gonna try to keep use of de-icer to a minumum tbh.

Just been out in my car for the 1st time 2day, it was all frozen up, as it is -4c!! lol
I was just wonderin, as ill prob be using de icer alot more over the next few months, is it harmful in anyway to the paintwork?? Had it pc'd+polished a few weeks ago, so dont want to undo the hard work!!

Ps> Any advice on the clios ridiculous sunroof?!?! Mines held water all round the edge of the glass,frozen+squeeks,creeks+rattles while driving. Sooooo annoying!!

its not harmful to paintwork.

As for the sunroof there are fixes if you've exhausted all the fixed (there a few stages Renault can apply) then just leave it I always try pour a load of deider over the sunroof seal to help stop cracking of the seals and ensure there ok when deicing

EK4, 632 on black, Mk2Ph3
dont use a deicer! i use warm water and pour it over the car then quickly put the wipers on front and rear :D once u get going, the car wont freeze up

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Lol at de-icer damaging the paintwork . Do people really think companys sell a product that would damage the paintwork or rubber seals ??

Firstly , the companys would soon go out of business as nobody would buy the product again and also they would have hell of alot of lawyers letters demanding compensation . Companys do have research and developement departments so their products are tested so no future problems arise like damage to cars .
I've used it for years with no detriment to the paintwork , i'm not even convinced that it strips any wax . Your supposed to squirt it on the windows not the car body , lol .

De-icer all the way for me :)

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
my neighbour put hot water over her KA this morning. I was just waiting for the windscreen to smash!
Ive told her not to do it but she doesnt listen.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
I just put a blanket over the front and rear windows. Plus it keeps him nice and warm!!!

Warm water isnt going to crack your glass talking about 30c not boiling water. I have seen someone pour boiling water on it and it was okay wouldnt recommend it though.

I use de-icer. Sometimes, say you go for a meal somewhere and come out at 1am and your screen is froze up? Where do you girls get your water from lol. I just spray the screen and I'm away.

Spray de-icer on your car and you run the risk of all your rubber seals falling off and your paint instantly stripped down to bare metal... ;)

Na, I use it but I can't be bothered to buy anymore so just use warm water in the mornings now.

I use de-icer. Sometimes, say you go for a meal somewhere and come out at 1am and your screen is froze up? Where do you girls get your water from lol. I just spray the screen and I'm away.

I keep a pint bottle of milk (not the glass the plastic one) just pee in it and it works fine try and make sure no one sees though ;)

Mk1 RT + F7p + 172 Brakes
deicer for me, and a scraper, did it night before work other day and next morning....NO FROST on mine while my mums was covered in it lol, but did it last night same and mine was worse than hers cant figure it out lol

I keep a pint bottle of milk (not the glass the plastic one) just pee in it and it works fine try and make sure no one sees though ;)

Must smell lovely coming through the vents lol.

mini cooper (RIP 172)

why the bottle, just piss stright on it;)

172 ph2
bank card,cd case,warm water(not boiling),filler card,ill use owt apart from stuff i have to buy like de-icer.

1 Series Coupe
My mum bought some 'night before' de-icer stuff from halfords... She said you should use it, u'll be gutted when i dont have to de-ice my car in the morning! This morning we got up, and hers was twice as bad as mine! muhahaha

Works...kind of...
Good quality scraper alone works a treat for me. And quit moaning about having cold hands, wear gloves ffs! :p

I bought a Carplan one from Staples last year, was about £3 I think. They may have them in this year too.