ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dave Baldwin's 172 racer

172 race build
Hi guys, thought it was about time to upload a few pictures of my race car that ive been building over the last few years with the aim to race in the tricolore trophy in class A. I would write a spec list but you can safely assume it has the vast majority of stuff you can get for these cars! It's currently running 233.9bhp. As with all these things its a work in progress but i had to draw the line somewhere and actually get out and drive the thing so hopefully it will continue to evolve over the next few years. Mostly built by me in my shed but recently Mark Fish has been doing a lot of the work including the engine installation and wiring loom etc

First time out an oil line came off so the car is currently back with Mark Fish having the bottom end rebuilt (only slightly annoying, i all but cried..) but will be ready for the track again in mid January ready for a bit more testing before starting the racing season!

I'll try and upload some more photos.

Any questions just ask away, hopefully you like it!

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg
IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3166.JPG

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
That’s looking good.

Shame about the engine, I’m guessing the torque figure was impressive with the PMS manifold and longer trumpets on the throttle bodies?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I saw this a few months ago at Mark Fish’s, looked amazing.

Make sure you keep us posted.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Is this the one with a PMS pedal box and solid lifters etc? I think it was at Mark's when I was there a while back. Looked a serious bit of kit!

172 race build
That’s looking good.

Shame about the engine, I’m guessing the torque figure was impressive with the PMS manifold and longer trumpets on the throttle bodies?

Yea not bad, can't remember the figure off the top of my head, think its about 180 lb/ft. Yea it was really annoying! All rebuilt now tho, just waiting on some hoses for the oil cooler then we're all good to go.

172 race build
Bought a cheap trailer off eBay and modified it a bit to carry my car and kit. It's not pretty but it does the job and didn't cost a lot. Will do until i can afford a nice race shuttle.
IMG_1170.JPG

3D2D0815-1280-4BD2-9508-30D53B7314ED.JPG

58ED466D-DCEF-4437-9CE4-44E9BD6CABC5.JPG

I've since treated it to some paint, refreshed the brakes and reinforced the ramp.

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What an awesome car. The paint job makes baby jesus cry but then that's not the aim.

top work :)

172 race build
What an awesome car. The paint job makes baby jesus cry but then that's not the aim.

top work :smile:

Yea the paints crap but it cost me £300 total for everything. By the end id got ok at it so the bootlid now isn't actually too bad and was done with cheap paint 😂 but yea its rubbish. In the process of building a proper paint shop for work so might get myself a proper paint job one day! It'll all be covered in a livery anyway and I'll cry less when i put it in a wall.

172 race build
Would the trailer be ex Porsche Leeds by any chance ?

I Doubt it. It seems to be a curtain side lorry box modified to fit onto an old trailer chassis. Bought it from a removals company who used it once and found it far too big. The guy before transported cars in it. Just seems doubtful a Porsche dealership would have used such a stunning trailer 😂