ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dash bulbs, 509t??

CLIO 172
Hi, wanting to change all my speedo lights, dash lights and centre clock light to blue am i right in thinking they are 509t bulbs?

Monaco 172 Ph2
Would be good to know this as i need to change a few bulbs but dont fancy taking the dash off just to check lol

Your speedo lights are all smd (plcc-2) albeit the centre clock which is a t5w capless bulb in a holder aka dashboard lights if you search on eBay you'll see what I mean.

Clio 172
Lights behind clock are called twist lock but have yet to find right ones I have had 3 different sets
managed to make 1 set fit with a bit of modifying but bit of a nightmare.
give us a shout if you find a set that actually fit spot on would be interested in getting some.
also you will need white filter paper for clock otherwise light will still be orange ...

Monaco 172 Ph2
Lights behind clock are called twist lock but have yet to find right ones I have had 3 different sets
managed to make 1 set fit with a bit of modifying but bit of a nightmare.
give us a shout if you find a set that actually fit spot on would be interested in getting some.
also you will need white filter paper for clock otherwise light will still be orange ...

Where do you get this from ??

Monaco 172 Ph2
And that actually worked lol

Take it the other stuff just peels off and you stick this stuff on ??

Sure did just used the original filter then made a template from it, with a craft knife later all done have a pic somewhere...
bura5yqe.jpg

Last edited:
  PH1 172, E39
hi guys,
The film on my display came off. Can I use film that is used for tinting glass to get back the same effect?

Clio 172
Sorry mat haven't looked at this for long time..
just put in led filter card on ebay
guess your sorted buy now

The bulbs in the speedo are a very small LED called an SMD they'll require soldering onto your existing speedo they're 2mm x 3mm.

The type of SMD is a PLCC 2 3528.
I've done this too :)
6ene5emy.jpg

But with my speedo being a newer version :)

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
do both the centre clock and mileage clock have to have filter behind them to make them blue for example? or do you get away with just using blue lights on the lcd?

if possible i want to rip the dashboard out and do it all in one foul sweep lol. Appreciate the info alot!

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
what did you use as a filter for the centre clock? that one i linked you is white. i cant seem to find any blue ones? people have suggested blue paper with wd40 on lol, in other car forums!

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
also, before i get this all wrong lol am i right in thinking that 4 PLCC-4 need to be white for the center clock?

i want to have blue rev dials and a mileage display like yours so am i right in thinking i need 4 PLCC-2 white and 4 PLCC-4 blue for that?

what did you use as a filter for the centre clock? that one i linked you is white. i cant seem to find any blue ones? people have suggested blue paper with wd40 on lol, in other car forums!

The filter itself doesn't have to be a colour if its white and your LEDs are white there is no problem. If you used blue paper with
WD-40 it won't diffuse the light properly.

also, before i get this all wrong lol am i right in thinking that 4 PLCC-4 need to be white for the center clock?

i want to have blue rev dials and a mileage display like yours so am i right in thinking i need 4 PLCC-2 white and 4 PLCC-4 blue for that?

4 PLCC-4 White for center clock
4 PLCC-4 White for mileage
4 PLCC-2 Blue for rev and speed

Close enough :eek:

387bhp RB Trophy SC
Last edited:
  387bhp RB Trophy SC
Clock SMD 1.jpg

Clock SMD 2.jpg

Clock SMD 3.jpg

The pictures are a bit blured, look mint in rl.

I changed my Racetech oil temp/pres gauges from the standard green to white to match all my other gauges etc.

I can do this for people if they send me there units.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
i like the red heater controls you have there, did you buy those wedge bulbs but in red? i had to replace them not so long ago, annoying things they are!

387bhp RB Trophy SC
i like the red heater controls you have there, did you buy those wedge bulbs but in red? i had to replace them not so long ago, annoying things they are!

Yes you need for the twist nob heater controle 2x 509T twist lock holder. with 2x 286 T5 3xPLCC-2 Capless LED
You can only use red its the only colour that shines through the orange lenses in the heater controle. I did try blue but you can't see it at all it looks more like brown and then white makes them look orange again.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
right gotcha, im guessing those stock wedge 1.2watt bulbs arnt bright enough fot it then? il probably end up doing the heater controls after anyway.
Does the 1k ohm 1/8watt resistor just get rigged inline for any switch light you want to change, didnt think about doing the buttons really.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
Yes you need for the twist nob heater controle 2x 509T twist lock holder. with 2x 286 T5 3xPLCC-2 Capless LED
You can only use red its the only colour that shines through the orange lenses in the heater controle. I did try blue but you can't see it at all it looks more like brown and then white makes them look orange again.

lol, makes sense. why didnt they just stock build it as white lenses with orange bulbs lol. probably budget cuts again

387bhp RB Trophy SC
right gotcha, im guessing those stock wedge 1.2watt bulbs arnt bright enough fot it then? il probably end up doing the heater controls after anyway.
Does the 1k ohm 1/8watt resistor just get rigged inline for any switch light you want to change, didnt think about doing the buttons really.

Yes 1k ohm 1/8watt resister inline with 3mm dome top led in the switches. ;)

387bhp RB Trophy SC
Then for the standard cig lighter I used parts from one of these with the existing standard cig lighter. I only used the red surround with the bulb holder with a white 286 T5 3xPLCC-2 Capless LED the rest of the componets were from the original cig lighter so that it retains the standard plug socket.

Red Cig lighter.jpg

You can get other colourd ones blue green etc.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
nice! are those lighter surrounds readily available? i had trouble finding out about the bulb in cig socket when i had to replace it before.
although yours looks a little bit different to mine, don't know if that's cos my car is a privilege variant.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
No filter in the dash, just the one in the centre clock. Use white led to get the effect of blue background and white segments

i put the lights in last night, i noticed that the mileage display is blue with yellow text. any way to make that white or is there an internal lcd filter?

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
Then for the standard cig lighter I used parts from one of these with the existing standard cig lighter. I only used the red surround with the bulb holder with a white 286 T5 3xPLCC-2 Capless LED the rest of the componets were from the original cig lighter so that it retains the standard plug socket.

View attachment 93113

You can get other colourd ones blue green etc.

i got one of these now, but it doesnt fit into the plastic panel socket.....

Clio 172 sport
Sure did just used the original filter then made a template from it, with a craft knife later all done have a pic somewhere...
bura5yqe.jpg

Hi, mate, I know this is from quite a while ago but am in need of help. what did you make the filter with? I want mine blue as well, got all the dash off but stuck on where to get this filter from and the bulbs.