ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D-SLR users: Checked your autofocus recently ?!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I was wondering why some shots with my nifty were looking a bit naff / soft.

Decided to actually check it somewhat properly.

What I did:

Camera on tripod.

Get a bit of print / newspaper .. something with text so you can easily see what's in focus.

Aperture priority mode - select the largest aperture (smallest number).

Take shot.

Check. (I already have the focus point highlight feature on, but Aperture does this also, hence the screenshot pics).

7988743935_4bbf76014f_c.jpg

50mm f/1.8 focusing - Before... by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Err.. yeah, that's good. :dead:

Adjust.

For reference [Canon 7D]:

Menu > Custom Funct. > Autofocus/Drive > AF Microadjustment > Adjust by lens.

7988750428_d393575b3a_c.jpg

50mm f/1.8 focusing - After... by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Muuuch better !!!

Checked my kit and UWA too - both were more than acceptable.

:eek:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yeah, I used the micro adjustment on the 50d for a few lenses, not sure I've done it for the 7d, not noticed any major issues though and I've taken about 10,000 photos I think.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had my 50mm for years .. not sure if it's a manufacturing issue with the lens, the camera, or a combination of both !?

Can't see how it gets worse over time... maybe it's always been there ? Not really sure...

Will check it in a few months and see how it's doing anyway.

Cupra
The only lens I've ever had an issue with was the Canon 50mm f1.4. It behaved totally differently at different focal distances and was not possible to correct with the adjustment settings. I sold it to somebody else who didn't have a problem with it....

It can be different for each focus point too, which is why you may not have noticed it before, generally only an issue at closer camera to subject lengths.

Oil Burner
Pretty much every Prosumer-pro camera since the 50d has had this.

I've usually found that most of the Canon lenses that need a noticeable amount of adjustment have a deeper seeded issue than just a micro adjustment.

You may also find that Zoom lenses af accuracy vary across their focal range.

I do find this adjustment useful on Sigma lenses. All of the Sigma glass i've ever used or owned has required a significant adjustment and i have in turn seen improved results.