ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cv boots. Bank loan required???

Clio 182
Just had my clio182 serviced at Renault who has advised me the following needs doing;

NSF inner driveshaft gaitor leaking and OSF driveshaft gaitor retaining clip loose.

They quoted me about £350 to do this so I said no so I could shop around for quotes. Being a non car fiddly person I'm pretty sure it's beyond my capabilities, but am I likely to get this job done anywhere cheaper?

I've also read on the wonderful Internet that on a 182 you can't just replace part of the cv joint like the boot, the whole driveshaft has to be replaced! Surely not?!

Any friendly advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You're not a million miles from JMS (Uxbridge). I'd give them a bell and get it looked at.

I wouldn't trust Renault with a biro, let alone servicing a car. I was told something ludicrous about my brakes being 50%worn. The day after I'd fitted new brakes.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Definitely get someone other than Renault to look at it.

I'm no mechanic, but that does sound odd.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
not a huge job tbh, i got a new boot for a few quid n a mate to fit it, id give it a bash myself now tho

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
not a huge job tbh, i got a new boot for a few quid n a mate to fit it, id give it a bash myself now tho
Given it's a Renault 'diagnosis', I'd want someone to confirm it needs doing 1st.

ITB'd MK1
The outer boot can be replaced. However it sounds like you have the VERY common problem of the gaiter retaining clip breaking (becuase renault are crap at making things that dont break)

If the joint isn't worn, all you will need is a bit of a clean up to get any contamination out of the joint, a re-grease, and a new clip or even a jubilee clip to secure the boot

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
I work at a garage in new malden not too far away from you i know a thing or two about clios and we have an ex renault guy working here too. pm me if you want to pop it in.

Clio 182
I work at a garage in new malden not too far away from you i know a thing or two about clios and we have an ex renault guy working here too. pm me if you want to pop it in.

Hi. Sounds good. Where abouts are you? Do you roughly know what the works i described above will cost?

Regards.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Shocker that renault md charging over the odds for something trivial :rolleyes: