ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cv boot??

Clio 182 black gold
Had the exhaust done on my car today and the mechanic had a quick look round the car for me as I've only had it a week.
He said my passenger cv boot is leaking. Now I'm no mechanic but I own a spanner or 2 and have more than one brain cell

Would I be able to sort this my self on the drive at home? Any special tool required? And would it be best to replace both sides at same time?

Also it's a Clio 182 55 reg any links for a good price cv boot?

Thanks in advance

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Depends where it's leaking from. Could just be a case that one of the clips has come loose which is an easy fix.

You really need to take the wheel off and have a look at it properly to see whether it's an easy fix like above or whether it needs replacing.

Clio 182 black gold
Nice one fella! Well doing an oil change tomorrow so I'll have it off have a look and pop up some pictures!

Guessing the clips a common fault then?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yep, especially if someone's been there before you and replaced the clips with cable ties like someone did on mine. I replaced mine with jubilee clips which definitely won't move.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I ended up replacing the shaft due to the above. If it splits and stays split for long enough it will cause damage

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yup, luckily I caught mine early with no funny noises coming from it.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
I've just had the same advisory to change mine out, luckily looks like its only starting to split. It seems there three different sizes of outer passenger side boot? Heard about stretch boots too? Anyone know what size is correct? I've heard about stretch boots too but if I have to split the joint and everything I'd rather use a correctly sized one?

Clio 182 black gold
Well sorted the cv boot out today, it had just slipped off. So gave it a little clean, slipped it back on and bodge it tie wrap sorted it out for now!