ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup shocks vs Koni yellow on Cooksports.

172 Cup
I'm running my 172 Cup on standard cup shocks with Cooksport springs.
What improvements am I likely to see fitting Koni yellows?
More compliant? Softer ride? Harder ride?

E30 325i & 172 Cup
I replaced my rear cup shocks with Koni yellows and it has definitely improved handling. The koni's have a big amount of adjustment, so turned down my car feels softer than before and roles more in the corners, but when turned up it corners much better than before, but obviously its a harsher ride. I am using Sportlines though, not Cooksport.

mckay

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 Iceburg 172
Was also thinking of going to go with koni yellow`s front and back on my cooksports or would I be better buying decent coil-overs?
Car only does a couple of track days a year.

GSXR + KDX220
I've got Koni Yellows now, albeit with Sportlines and very happy with them. Obviously you have more adjustability than with Cup shocks but it all depends on whether you will actually play around with the settings to suit your style, on and off track.

Decent coilovers are going to cost big bucks, which IMO isn't worth splashing out on if its rarely going to see any track work. Unless of course you have money to burn ;)

172 cup
Was also thinking of going to go with koni yellow`s front and back on my cooksports or would I be better buying decent coil-overs?
Car only does a couple of track days a year.

Makes sense if it's mainly a road car. I have cup shocks, cooksports, pure Motorsport top mounts + strut brace and whiteline rarb. Only cost a bit more than budget coilovers and handles brilliantly. Also comfy enough to go over speed bumps without braking your back.

LY FF182
I'm planning to ditch gaz coilovers for shocks and cooksports.. Was thinking 182 cup but might go koni yellow after reading this

Silver Phase 2 172
Well reading this has made me decide to go for some koni yellows when I order up my new suspension rather than going for new cup shocks!

172 cup
My main problem is koni new are over double the price of cup shocks, so really need to justify if the offer a big enough improvement over the cup shocks

Silver Phase 2 172
My main problem is koni new are over double the price of cup shocks, so really need to justify if the offer a big enough improvement over the cup shocks

This is so true they are big bucks new! This is the exact problem im having trying to decide if they are worth the extra bucks! or weather to just go for a set of gaz coilovers! there are just to many choices!!!

172 cup
Well you could get my setup a few posts above for about the same price as gaz coilovers, which will handle better than the Gaz and still keep it driveable around town.