ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup prices, shocked!

Not sure what is going on at the moment, spotted several Cups here and elsewhere for silly prices (generally, £6k for 3yrs old and <30k on them) which just don't seem to be selling at all.

Yet only a couple of months ago I had mine up for £7750 (53, 24k so not much different) and was bombarded with offers around £7500, but in the end I had to withdraw it because the new car I was getting fell through in spectacular and unbelievable fashion.

I've been thinking about selling up to get a Valver which I can work on over time, but if its £6k or thereabouts for mine and then £2200 or so to get a good Valver it hardly seems worthwhile.

DC5
No it's not, lol. I have been considering selling mine. To be fair I'd be happy with 6kish, but when I see better condition ones with less mileage not selling for this much, it is not even worth advertising mine.

Monaco Blue 172
i think prices generally have slumped at the mo, i'm looking at two ff 172's in the bristol area that are under £7k with <20k on the clock! shame they both have the horrible std "alloys" on :( but they are blue! :cool:

I bought mine on 8k just over a year ago for £8400, at the time that was a fantastic price for the year/mileage/condition. Potentially looking at up to £2k wiped off in a year, shocked!

I really wish I could keep it but I'm struggling, heart says Valver but the costs associated with them seem to be vast.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
its because of the 197 its affected residuals on 172s/182s, not so much the trophy but you can still get bargains on them. also any sort of hothatch or performance vehicle isnt going to be cost effective especially 10yr+ old ones. keep the cup mate, im sure they will hold their value over the year more than the ff172 and 182s, if your struggling with it get a cheap 2nd car as a daily driver and use the cup for weekends/trackdays/events, limit mileage to 2.5k a year and cheaper insurance and fuel costs.

172 cup
I think it depends on the area as well. Ive seen a few on the autotrader website down south selling for 6 - 6.5k-ish. Most of the ones ive seen in scotland still seem to be selling for decent prices, and dont seem to take long to sell. Around 7.5k - 8k for a 53 plate.

At the end of the day they're still desirable cars so if someone wants one they'll pay good money.

BMW Z4 3.0i
ukaskew said:
Potentially looking at up to £2k wiped off in a year, shocked!

I paid £11k for mine just over two years ago when it was a year old with £16k on the clock. That means I've lost £2750 each year if it's now worth £5.5k.

172 Cup
I'm buying a 172 cup 52plate with18k on the clock for £6k this weekend, but i have seen some in the same condition and mileage for around £7K to £7500

Generally speaking its difficult to sell a car on an owners club website solely because the vast majority of people who use the site already own the car. You also find many members saying "too much" or "you won't sell it for that" if the price is fractionally higher than the one before.

I think its fair to say most people only bother to advertise cars on club websites as its free compared to £33 for my local area for 2 weeks on the interweb and 1 in the magazine for autotrader.

Last edited:
  Turbos.
When i bought my 172 a few months ago Cups were holding a significant premium on Autotrader, probably an extra 1k like for like.

Ziel Nurburgring
I was offered £7200 for my fatty 172, 53plate on 29k.

Remember the cup was 2k odd less at POS, so it will show in the resale. Just because we know its a very capable track car, doesnt mean Joseph Public does.

182 Full Fat
I reckon once the 197 is officially released, the 172/182's depreciation will reduce vastly, because I don't think the 197 is going to sell anything like the 172/182's have.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
ive just bought my 1st 51 plate rs172 its deep black got full service renault history the car inside and out is in excellent condition but has done 70k but its still driving like its done 10k i payed £4640 for it which i though was a bargain and i must say im impressed with the 172 ,ive just sold my veilside st205 gt4 to buy it.so i will be joining clio sport.net as a member ,jon

cheers rich lovin the car already ive had both 205 gtis, astra gsi red top,rover g220 gti,gt4 turbo ,and now the little clio n this has to be just slightly better than the gt4 not for looks but for more fun :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Looking at traders prices on autotrader i would say prices if anything are steady or even going up!!!!!!!!!!!

People panic to sell so take silly offers but on the whole a car is worth what someone will pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Bought my CUP172 two months ago and paid £6,700.00 for it on a late 52,was a bit more than others I looked at but only had 15k on the clock so I though it was well worth it.

What I would add is that its hard to get a good one as a lot have been thrashed and trashed.

I looked a a few before I bought mine and they were cheaper but you pay for what you get.

thankyou mate when i had the gt4 i was a member of the gt4o/c.net (still am) and i found it to be very usefull and took alot of advice from it so i will be joining this one very shortly

Turbos.
I think one problem is that the cheap skates on here only put the car on Cliosport and Piston Heads. They get no interest so over time lower the price again and again. The problem isn't the price, it's just no one who cares is looking at the advert!

Paying out for Autotrader is always worth it IMO.

Suits me fine! I bought a cup yesterday for £6150. 33k, 53plate. IMO alot of cups up for sale at the moment are over priced, particularly on autotrader. A cars only worth what somebodys prepared to pay for it. You got to remember the 197 is out soon, so loads of people are waiting because they are expecting to see 172 prices in general drop further.

133/225/CLS AMG
Prices on here are a lot more competitive, I think that is because people know exactly what they are talking about and are prepared to pay only what they think should be paid.

My gf has been looking at 172/182s and the ones on AutoTrader are much higher than on here and they will eventually sell but probably to someone who doesn't know as much about the market or the RenaultSport range in general.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP
I recently sold My mint 172 full fat for £7500 on a 53 with 24k to a chap on here i payed £9800 18 months ago., i got a good price but then he got a more than good car! Ive just shelled out on a 2004 Golf R32 - this shouldnt depreciate half as much

RB 200 Cup!
Im thinking of buying a clipsort next may once ive saved some money - so theyll be dirt cheap then which is good for me but i genuinley feel sorry for the people who have spent alot to get their clio and then can only sell it for a minimal price - new model if def to blame

182 Full Fat
Timmay said:
Im thinking of buying a clipsort next may once ive saved some money - so theyll be dirt cheap then which is good for me but i genuinley feel sorry for the people who have spent alot to get their clio and then can only sell it for a minimal price - new model if def to blame

The joys of owning a Renault im afraid. Depreciation :mad: :mad:

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
paul_h172 said:
cups forsale on here seem to be alot cheaper than on autotrader.

very very cheap - club discount?

:lolup:

sometimes on autotrader you get dreamers though, saw a 53 plate cup, 40k, no CC,. £7995.

FOOK AFF