ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup hubs on a non-Cup ?

182 trackday racer
Hello,

I have a 182 non-cup track car. My front wheel bearings tend to get wasted very quickly. Because of this I do consider to change for cup hubs with the larger bearings hoping they will last better. My questions are:

- Will the bigger bearings last longer?
- Are cup hubs plug and play on a non cup? Same splines on the driveshafts etc?
- I use ABS guess this meens I'll need 182 Cup hubs?

Thanks for your help

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hello,

I have a 182 non-cup track car. My front wheel bearings tend to get wasted very quickly. Because of this I do consider to change for cup hubs with the larger bearings hoping they will last better. My questions are:

- Will the bigger bearings last longer?
- Are cup hubs plug and play on a non cup? Same splines on the driveshafts etc?
- I use ABS guess this meens I'll need 182 Cup hubs?

Thanks for your help

Even the 172 cup hubs have ABS holes in them, they just have nothing in.

The steering arm location on the 182 cup ones is bigger so will through your tracking out but it can be adjusted ok (ie it shouldnt run out of travel)

They are a direct swap in terms of splines and balljoint etc

I would expect them to last longer as they are bigger, but I am not aware of any specific rest results to confirm this, but its why the bigger bearings are used in heavier cars in the first place of course, so I would be confident its an upgrade.

182 trackday racer
Thanks,

ABS sensors are imposible to get out of the hubs so imo its better to go for a set of 182 Cup hubs with sensors already in place.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was more thinking along the lines of buying new ones TBH, but yes agreed once they have been in a few years they almost never come out, although once the hub is off the car and you can tap them out from the underside you have a slight chance of managing it.

182 trackday racer
I was more thinking along the lines of buying new ones TBH, but yes agreed once they have been in a few years they almost never come out, although once the hub is off the car and you can tap them out from the underside you have a slight chance of managing it.

Tried that and on my car its a no go. Guess new ones cost at least as much each as I have to pay for a set of used-hubs?