ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup for a williams

2005 Impreza WRX STI

lol im not a fan of williams with regards to comparing them with 172/182s but my mate had one RR @ 170 bhp and it was quicker than mine! it felt miles faster! lol

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

sweet 170bhp in a willy,

i need to test drive 1 before i decide, but im kind of shying away from french cars now,

Id personally keep a Cup. The cost/reliabilty of running an older car particularly one built by Renault can be terriable least the Cup is more modern. If you want to save costs get a boring slow relaible diesel.

A Williams is only usable as a second car IMO or least if you dont need a car for work or have a second car you can use to pick up parts for it.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

well the plan is get rid of the cup buy an old skool car which would be my second car and run a van as my daily driver.

as it is im doing 20kmiles a year and its just to much and tiresome in a car thats hard on your arse and noisy

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 27 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 27 July 2005

sounds like a slow one tho if its not getting away from a 182 ;)
You dont get any better do you;)and its funny how all the willy owners cars who harp on about it are not standard.

ian

[Edited by ian 182 on 27 July 2005 at 2:39pm]
lol, nope, wheres the fun in that tho, this place is dull as it is so these topics are refreshing. yeah my cars not standard, but with 3 people and 4 wheels in the car youd expect a 182 with just the driver to be able to get past wouldnt you? and he was trying before you ask as it would have been lisence loosing speeds had it not been on the autobahn ;)

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

i love these threads about my car is faster than yours, what does it matter anyway, so long as the driver/owner is happy then a 172 will whip a williams anyday of the week(standard vs standard) dunno bout modifed, maybe yassers car would muller a modded williams???

Quote: Originally posted by lawrence on 27 July 2005

i love these threads about my car is faster than yours, what does it matter anyway, so long as the driver/owner is happy then a 172 will whip a williams anyday of the week(standard vs standard) dunno bout modifed, maybe yassers car would muller a modded williams???
Wed realy need a stock 172/Cup/Williams/Trophy/182/182 Cup on a track with a good mix of drivers to find out whats quickest but even them somone going to say mines faster as Ive got a....

I agree with you though I dont care, the Williams isnt the same car as a 172/182 so comparisons are irrelevent and difficult in many ways.

Yassers car is probabyl the quickest here on the track (assuming you have the owners driving there cars).

LY 200

Umm not sure the 172 would whip a williams really lawrence, just ask smokey whos got them all as he seems to think his 2.0 valvers on comparison with his 182.......I have no probs against 106 gtis or vtss with my big wheels on and they are supposedly on level par with 172s!!!

Iv got a couple of 172s after a blast with me but have told them to wait til my 15s are on(should have been sat:mad:)...........Will be intresting!!!

Even if the 172 would be faster id imagine not by much!!!

Willy2

lozza, spend 2.5k on a willy, take it down to BBPT for a low boost conversion for 5k and voila you will have 200bhp on tap and its a turbo!

7.5k turbo willy, that will be more economical than any cup/172/182 if you drive it sensibly, but you can still play with the scoobs and RSs all day

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Evo tested the mk2 againt the willy when the 172 came out and guess what?

Now imho the evo drivers would show anyone here a clean set of heals in a 1.2 never mind a 172

The mk2 won,Only just mind.They used a mint willy against the 172 but it was beaten 0-60 ,0-100 ,100-0 and the 172 lapped quicker on a very twisty track and it pulled more"g" in a corner.

Now enough with the crap its been proven time and time again.

Even so if i wanted a good 2nd car id have a willy

ian

lol @ Ian. they prolly used an absolutely abused example with overspray all over the front...;) besides its only one magazine and one driver, how would they know what a good example of a 10 year old car is, they aint mechanics, they are journos on the take.

The Jinx

Didnt evo also rank it 6th in the best drivers cars of the last decade? Didnt see the 172 in there.

With regards to reliability my valver has been pretty faultless over the 18months Ive owned it. New alternator and steering column, and just had some new coolant bits. Factor those costs over 12months and its cheaper than a newer car.

All depends on whether you get a good one though.

Suzuki SV1000S

What do you guys think of mk1/2 Golf GTIs compared to the Clio Valvers - I am going to be getting an old skool soon - Up too 2k and a Bike - Was thinking of going for an old Golf rather than Clio!! Opinions?

Golf Mk2 16v? if it is that one I dont really rate them... if you want I can MSN you a vid of me Northy and my mate in his valver panning the fook out of one... slow is not the word... was having to back off throttle in 2nd repeatedly... :eek:

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 28 July 2005

Golf Mk2 16v? if it is that one I dont really rate them... if you want I can MSN you a vid of me Northy and my mate in his valver panning the fook out of one... slow is not the word... was having to back off throttle in 2nd repeatedly... :eek:
Share this on a certain other forum pal...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 28 July 2005

lol @ Ian. they prolly used an absolutely abused example with overspray all over the front...;) besides its only one magazine and one driver, how would they know what a good example of a 10 year old car is, they aint mechanics, they are journos on the take.
Yep all journos on the take mate? There testing 2 renaults:confused:

Im sure the overspray didnt weigh that much more than a standard bonet And its 2 cars being tested on the same day with proper timming gear and all the stuff compaired to a motorway slip road which you want us all to believe.Mechanics work on cars by the way,not drive them.My mates a mechanic and cant drive for fudge.

Im more tempted to believe a story from an ex touring car driver too,rather than pub talk of me and me mates were doin 130+ and left a 182 for dead.

ian

TT 225

You mean like newer cars that were available to buy right now from your local Renault dealership? :p

after having the back seats out the other week i can honestly say i prefer the way it twitches, gives off some nice over steer which is easily controlable

mines fine on the motorway above 4k, it goes quieter

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Hi Rob,

Now your getting Club members into trouble by using their accounts.. bad boy. If you continue to use JillyBs account I will have no option but to suspend it indefinatly. Be it on your head.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

regards to the quote about smokeys 2.0 valver is it not modified? so you cant really compare modified to standard just isnt a fair match,

anyway back on topic opinions on series 1 rs turbo versus a willy

[Edited by lawrence on 28 July 2005 at 6:48pm]

raj mate if only i had the money to then id take my cup to bbpt and turbo that, then say come on willy boys who has the quickest car now

Moved from a Willy 2 (modded) to a 172....172 brakes better but thats about it. Would have my williams back tomorrow if GF would let me ;).

Williams is an icon, so distinguishable....unlike this 172 I now own which looks similar to every other newer clio.

Get a Willy !!! From a 172 owner.

Regards,

Bill.

Quote: Originally posted by lawrence on 28 July 2005

regards to the quote about smokeys 2.0 valver is it not modified? so you cant really compare modified to standard just isnt a fair match,

raj mate if only i had the money to then id take my cup to bbpt and turbo that, then say come on willy boys who has the quickest car now
turbo Cup would be interesting, but I think throttle bodies with a stronger bottom end would see a faster car :D. turbos are for girls ;)

No they arent get yourself a drive in a good (they are scarse but still about) R5 gt turbo. I had one for 2 1/2 years, awesome little car.

been in an R5 before and had a crash in one... would never like to get in one again... driven a few Scoobys and they were particularly boring... I really dont like turbos... can you tell? lol

Id like to own a mint original 5GT, but id not drive it... lol

Admittedly i wouldnt want to crash in one either but i had a great laugh in mine and would happily own another if i could find a minter. Might have to invest in a cage for my own piece of mind though lol.

yeah Willy is foil like enough for me TBH, Im ready to move on to something a bit better built now although it is a f**king laugh to drive

I dunno you Willy owners, limp wristed, want a comfy, quiet car, dont want the raw hothatch experience complete with an increased risk of death if you bin it. ;)

haha, very true, I love the creature comforts and spec list of the Willy... it has everything! Leccy windows, mirrors... erm, opening doors, and interior. Better than a Merc!

As has been mentioned, I used to have Williams No.123 - it now belongs to Smokey McPot. I had no real reason to sell it and regretted it immensely later on. I had a Ph2 172 until a few weeks ago, which I have since replaced with my second Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo.

In terms of what a hard core, focused hot hatch should be - i.e. amazing handling, good poke, bit of a street legend - the Williams really is nigh on unbeatable. My 172 threw in some peace of mind and comfort, but there were no other improvements I can think of.

Plus, depending on your view, the 172 doesnt have the street cred or image that a Williams does. I felt like just another Joe Average in my 172, whereas the Willy made me feel special... that every journey was an event, not just getting from A to B.

Dont get me wrong - Im not saying that my 172 was as emotionally devoid as something like a Golf. Im talking about two cars right up there in the pecking order... but the Willy just looks down its grand old beak at the 172 and tells it to sod off!

For me, owning a car is an emotional thing. Thats why Ive got another Coup for no logical reason whatsoever. I couldnt face the prospect of having to find another mint Williams, so am happy to consign memories with No.123 to my personal history for now.

It says so much about the Williams that ten years on there isnt another hot hatch that moves the game forward on so much, or is still remembered so fondly. Long live the Willy.

Willy2

mate a turbo willy is the way forward if i had the cash i would be over there like a shot and then it would be whoooptishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! all the way home, been in bryans cossie too much(sorry)

LY 200

No its standard but a lower milage one!!!

Asked him in another thread the otherday!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 29 July 2005

I dunno you Willy owners, limp wristed, want a comfy, quiet car, dont want the raw hothatch experience complete with an increased risk of death if you bin it. ;)

LOL, hmmm no airbags, no pre tensioners, no radio, no air con, no interior and 2 bucket seats with harnesses lol mines got lots of comfort:devilish:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

If you need the money then downgrade.If not then stick with what you have.Whats the point in having a car 9 years older and a little bit slower.

ian