ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CUP - dodgy running query

Any ideas what this is all about:

For the first few minutes only when cold the response of the car is very "on-off". When pressing the accelerator it moves perhaps a couple of cms and theres almost no response from the car at all - the engine just doesnt want to "pick up" at all (whereas when warm it responds to even the the slightest bit of pressure on the throttle), if I press a little further, it reaches a point where it just snaps and goes, theres no progressive change, theres either nothing, or more than you want. But this only lasts for less than a couple of minutes - then its just fine. Ive tested it over a clear stretch of road from cold and if I keep the accelerator at the same position, in say 4th, after a minute or two I can feel the car pick up without any throttle input and its then smooth and responsive throughout the range of the accelerator travel.

Any ideas ??

Cheers.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yep, its the same with 172s and Cups alike, its cause of the very strict euro regulations on emmisions within the first 5 minutes or so of startup. You will notice it doesnt do if if you have been a run, switched off then restarted.. its only when its cold.

Its generally about 3krpm that it snaps and suddenly flys off down the road heh. Its designed to do that so dont worry there is nothing wrong with your car.

[Edited by _KDF on 5/24/2004 2:17:30 PM]

not normal. As you know there is no mechanical linkage between the throttle pedal and the throttle body. Its a fly-by-wire potentiometer activated unit. So I would begin by looking at that. Maybe also something with inlet temerature etc? Anyway, its not normal so I would just take it back to reno

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Either a problem with the cold running setup (i.e. when on choke) or the FBW throttle is dicky!

Get it in and theyll sort it...

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 24 May 2004

Yep, its the same with 172s and Cups alike, its cause of the very strict euro regulations on emmisions within the first 5 minutes or so of startup. You will notice it doesnt do if if you have been a run, switched off then restarted.. its only when its cold.

Its generally about 3krpm that it snaps and suddenly flys off down the road heh. Its designed to do that so dont worry there is nothing wrong with your car.

[Edited by _KDF on 5/24/2004 2:17:30 PM]

So I dont need to get it to Reno then ?? Its a characteristic of the car ?

Although some people dont reckon its normal !?!

Renault Laguna Coupe

They all do it mate. You can get an ECU re-program which will remove it, but its there to comply with the regs so best left as it is.

Bit worried.............theres not really a consensus of opinion here ?!!

Any more thoughts.................is it a characteristic of the engine map or is there something that needs attention ?

Cheers.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

mine does it and ive drove a few more the same. does it in really cold conditions and sort of hesitates about 3000rpm. checked it on clip before and found no faults either in the injection memory or parameters screens. think having the ik kit might have made it slightly worse. only occurs for a few minutes after starting from cold so i just put up with it.

[Edited by JAY172 on 24 May 2004 at 8:53pm]

VaVa

Mines exactly the same, esp. when cold...... you get used to it..... the other 172s that Ive driven/been in are the same too....

Does anyone also find that this is accompanied by poor starting. It doesnt sit there needing to be cranked over and over, but when it fires up it sometimes struggles for a split second to reach idle revs - although this doesnt happen all the time. More often than not it bursts into life with very little cranking over.

As this is intermittent, I didnt really think it was a fault that needs looking into.

me too to both. I tend to turn on ignition then wait a few seconds before turning it over - then it starts no problem. I take it easy when its started from cold anyway so not to bothered about the 3k pause thing.

me too lads!!! it is a reall ass...i normally start the car a couple of mins before i need to go in the morning and had no problems since!!!

R

rich[182]

usually i leave car running for 2-3 mins on a morning before setting off but on the ocasions i havent done that ive never had those problems you mention

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Mine does it aswell,it seems to be very touchy on the pedal for a minute and then its ok,as people have said it runs the car lean to meet regulations.

ian

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i notice it more now the exhaust is on because you can hear the exhaust sound strange at the point where it hesitates/holds back.

Quote: Originally posted by scooby stu on 24 May 2004
Any ideas what this is all about:For the first few minutes only when cold the response of the car is very "on-off".  When pressing the accelerator it moves perhaps a couple of cms and theres almost no response from the car at all - the engine just doesnt want to "pick up" at all (whereas when warm it responds to even the the slightest bit of pressure on the throttle), if I press a little further, it reaches a point where it just snaps and goes, theres no progressive change, theres either nothing, or more than you want.  But this only lasts for less than a couple of minutes - then its just fine.  Ive tested it over a clear stretch of road from cold and if I keep the accelerator at the same position, in say 4th, after a minute or two I can feel the car pick up without any throttle input and its then smooth and responsive throughout the range of the accelerator travel.Any ideas ??Cheers.

Ive just noticed that I seem to get this with my cup. I never noticed it before. The engine seems to pick up instantly and then drop back just as quick.

It happened to both of my Cups. 52 and 53 reg. And my mates 53 reg does it as well. I have asked an RTE and he basically told me it was 172 thing. Choke and all that......