ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup aux set-up belt / bearing squealing?!

340i
I have been running the cup alternator set-up on my PH-1 for 2000miles without any problems at all...

Over the past couple of weeks a squealing sounds has developed from this area, which is getting progressively worse!

The noise is alot worse when the engine is cold, but still slightly noticeable when warm.

Do any of the pulleys have bearings?

Are there any "common" parts that can fail (apart from the belt ;))

I am going to try running a belt with less ribs on too see if this cures the problem, as the belt runs VERY close to the cambelt cover (is this normal?)

Any help mucho appreciated

Cheers

ITB'd MK1
tensioner might need adjusting up a bit. Some non genuine belts can be slightly too wide. pas fluid level ok? nothing else to squeel really.

340i
yeah this was not a genuine belt.... the gap between the belt and cambelt cover is stupidly close paper thin infact!

When you take left handers the squeeling increases, which leads me more to the belt?

Never thought of PAS fluid, shall have a look later on ;)

Cheers Dan

Have you got the belt on right?

I put mine on wrong this weekend, and it did exactly what you describe.

It should come over the top of the crank pulley then down under the water pump I had the belt go over the water pump to start with and go round it from underneath.

340i
Well I have tightened the belt this afternoon... That made no change?!

I then sprayed the belt with WD40, started it up again and the noise was gone... Which makes me think the belt is possibly rubbing somewhere?

RS RIP
did my aux belt not long ago, it's running stupidly close to the cambeltcover indeed. But not paperthin-close like you say, 1mm / 2mm space should be there like mine. Still stupidly close i think

i think you should get another (oem, Gates) belt for 10 pounds (?)

340i
Thinking about it, I am going to buy a belt with less ribs.... too increase the gap between the cambelt cover and aux belt.

What is the size again, PK850?

clio sport
Having read you have recently changed your auxillary belt could you describe how to do this.

I've been trying to change mine all day without any success.
I'm unable to locate the tensioner for the alternator or any other means of tightening the belt.

Cheers