ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crunch when going into reverse

So I've noticed this for a while, but when I go into reverse, the gearbox seems to crunch. I definitely have the clutch all the way down.

But then when I take it out of reverse and put it back in, it doesn't crunch again, only seems to be the first time when driving.

What could be wrong and am I looking at a hefty bill?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Don't just stamp on the clutch and launch it in reverse, take your time with it. It won't crunch if you take your time.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Stop fully, give it a second then engage reverse. Something to do with the gearbox not having a synchro (someone confirm)?

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
I been told its something to do when the sync still spins? God knows. Mine does this too.

Foot on clutch. Push into 3rd and then into reverse. Done it with every car tbh.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I always stop, foot off clutch, foot back on clutch then reverse. Always done it like that as some cars (like the op's) don't like going from 40mph in 4th to a dead stop and then banging straight into reverse.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Mine sometimes won't go into reverse, I just take my foot off the clutch and put it back on again and it goes in.

Clio 182
It crunches because reverse does not have synchro on it so the engine speed has to be right, go to fast trying to put it in and it will make a crunch noise. Reverse is also a straight cut gear so that also makes it harder to get in there i believe and thats why you get a whine from your gearbox when you reverse fast. hope that helped.

Evo 8 MR
I guess it just comes with age, my old box did this but my new one doesn't. It's nothing to worry about if you do what's been said it shouldn't crunch.

330 Ci
Change your box oil, that sorted mine on the 172... for abit.

While your there I think Millers now do some kind of gearbox reconditioning fluid or similar along those lines to stop crunching, might be worth a spin.