ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control resistors

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've read you need a 274 ohm resistor but at maplins they only had 270. Will this be OK and still allow the button to work?

Flamer Barn Find
Unsure if it'll work as not familiar with what you're doing

Resistors from maplins will have a 5% tolerance at best, possibly 10%. your 270ohm resistor could be 256-283.5ohms so it should work OK if yo need a 274ohm

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Are you replacing the stock steering wheel cruise buttons for an aftermarket wheel? You may know already......but I've read you need:

Cruise off: 0 ohms
Resume: 900 - 910 ohms
+ speed: 274 - 300 ohms
- speed: 100 ohms

So you could get a 300ohm if you wanted to be safe :up:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, yeah it's to replace the buttons of the cruise on an aftermarket steering wheel. I just looked at the resistors and they have a brown tolerance band meaning they're 1% so the 270 one I have won't be good enough? I can go back over and get one higher if it is 274-300 but I've not read that myself before.

I could always just join 2 resistors together to get the correct total but that would be a bit messy

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I found this wiring diagram for the buttons....

120C5001-4C88-46DB-B31D-7D14B12DE794.jpeg

So for example, ‘resume’ resistance will be 680+120+100=900ohms

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Where are people getting the 274 from then? I just popped over to napkins anyway and bought a 3.9 ohm resistor so can make 273.9 which will be fine with tolerance

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I meant the fact it's not listed in that diagram haha
Oh 🙈:smile:! The original steering wheel cruise control switches have a 274ohm resistor. I suggested the 300ohm in case you were worried that your 270 wouldn't be fit for purpose. But you solved it anyhow!

Did you make the button setup yourself? It's nice...:cool:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So I connected it up today and it doesn't work.
What have I done wrong?

Wired it up like this
20180327_114530.jpg

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Also, have you got a multimeter to check the resistances are as expected when you press the buttons, this is what I’d check first....

I got mine 100ohm resistor from Maplins, it took them 3 attempts to get it right, they kept giving me 10ohm (no wonder they folded 🙈).

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
That diagram doesn't match the one posted earlier.

For example, the resume button, when pressed, the grey and green should "see" the 680+120+100 ohm resistors in series
Hmmmm, I assumed @Louis was using a single appropriate resistor based on his diagram, for example a straight 900 ohm resistor for the resume button....?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hmmmm, I assumed @Louis was using a single appropriate resistor based on his diagram, for example a straight 900 ohm resistor for the resume button....?
Hmmm yeah should work then if he has. Makes you wonder why Renault didn't do it that way?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Hmmm yeah should work then if he has. Makes you wonder why Renault didn't do it that way?
I think they did? I thought each of the original cruise buttons has one of those resistances integrated :up:.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I dunno, I was just going by the diagram you posted earlier in the thread lol
Ahhh, gotcha! I only posted that to show there was some tolerance in the resistances. Sorry to confuse :grimacing:. I did my wiring based on that diagram and it worked a treat though.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, so I'm using resistors 100ohm, 274ohm (2 in series to make 274) and 910ohm.
I checked them all before wiring up but will try again. Do I not need to introduce a voltage to the system to read a resistance when the button is pressed?
And not one button works. I'm right in thinking even without being at minimum cruise speed I'd be able to select 'o' and turn off the cruise light? It's an odd one

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I'm right in thinking even without being at minimum cruise speed I'd be able to select 'o' and turn off the cruise light? It's an odd one
I'm not sure that's true, I think you need to take it for a drive!
Mine's a 172 retrofit, and I sat on my driveway pressing all the buttons hoping something would happen......then I test drove it.

My observation is speculative, but I suspect Renault have used the circult depicted in the yellow diagram above because it is a better check of the system than individual resistors via each button gives you.

With the Renault circuit, you know that the 100 ohm resistor is present when (R), (+) or (-) is operated. If you have operated the (R) or (+) buttons, the servicability of the wiring and the (-) button from the 100 ohm resistor to the common side of the buttons is still unknown, but it is a smaller set of elements that can fail, leaving you without a safety-related reduction of speed.

With simple individual resistors, you cannot tell if if the (-) circuit works until you operate that button. In a manufacturing fault analysis process, the individual resistor option is les desirable, given the consequences for a ton-plus consumer product.

Andy