ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Critique Please Guys

Silver 182
Hi guys.

I am after some advice on how to improve my Motorsport photos.
Below is one of my old ones that I dug out from a while ago.

14014589272_8b96596ce2_b.jpg

DSC03932.jpg by Jay.Lynn, on Flickr

James

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
That photo doesn’t appear to be all that sharp because of the panning, that said the slightly turning angle of the car can make panning tricky at times as I’ve found out when I’ve shot motorsport etc.

The exposure seems to be spot on, the composition isn’t bad either. It just needs to be sharper really, and panning just takes practise and then remembering what technique worked to get a good shot and repeat it.

I’d also aim to get some more interesting angles/compositions, while this photo would have been good (if it was sharp) there are many, many more like it out there. I’ve done it myself where I’ve taken generic motorsport photos and they’ve been reasonably good, but its far more rewarding when you envisage a challenging composition or angle and you manage to pull it off after quite a few attempts.

An example of my above point is in this one from Brands a few weeks back. I had to do many, many takes of this shot to get the cars framed by the tree correctly, as well as sharp (taken at 1/30th), and then the correct car(s)-

13563771224_b9e2092b31_z.jpg

BTCC Civic Estate And Focus by Niall97, on Flickr

The car isn't fully sharp because it's turning in relation to you (during the exposure). So it won't ever be sharp unless you use a boring fast shutter speed. There's probably not a lot you could have done better for that photo to be fair.

You'd have to post up some others for more C+C :)