ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaky steering on full lock and knocking noise.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looked through some other threads on this and people have different suggestions for it,

I have creaky steering when on full lock turning right (when going over a bump or pulling onto my drive it's really noticable). Also at low speeds going over a bump surface or small pot holes it sounds like there is a clunking/ knocking noise.

Any help would he much appreciated.

ITB'd MK1
just needs to be looked at thoroughly then. could be a worn pump not liking the extra load that full lock puts on it, might be early sign of failure, but it's all guesswork without looking

ITB'd MK1
Sounds like the symptoms of buggered top mounts!
Not sure why no-body else has suggested it.
Maybe I'm being stupid.
Hope that may be of some help to you!

possible for the creaking i guess, but the fact it knocks over bumps suggests a balljoint too

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
thanks people. im getting it checked out on monday by an ex renault tec. just wanted to prepare myself for the worst and see what he was going to say. cost depending this could be the difference on me getting rid of the french shitbox.

and thanks jon for responding in my absence ;)

Is this not just the normal creaking? Comes as standard if it is. Mine did it from new and still did it 5 years later. It has always been a very well documented issue. There's been like a million threads discussing it. IIRC the fix is Renault taking an angle grinder to your suspension and chopping bits out of it. Classy lol.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
its horrific. its almost a grinding from the front left rather than the rack itself. topmounts arent loose and the car has only done 37k and is 6 years old.

are the ball joints and cv joint things i can check myself? ive got to drive to sheffield on wednesday and need it sorted by then.

182 Cup & 172
i had this problem, really annoying noise, didnt happen all the time, just on uneven road services,garage said cup links i think all sorted now ;)

Clio3 225 bhp turbo
Hi i work for reno. clios are very common for the steering rack it self to squeak and travel up the steering colum and for the noise to seem like its coming from the inside of the car best to change the rack they not dear and only take 30 mins to change i change about 5 a month hope this helps

Hi i work for reno. clios are very common for the steering rack it self to squeak and travel up the steering colum and for the noise to seem like its coming from the inside of the car best to change the rack they not dear and only take 30 mins to change i change about 5 a month hope this helps

Half an hour? Pretty sure its not.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Basically I couldn't figure it out so completely forgot about this thread, then I changed my bottom ball joints and went for tracking at a garage that I'm quite friendly with.

So went into the pit with them and was having a look at everything. Grabbed the ARB on the drivers side and it was freely moving (I say freely but you need to put a fair bit of weight on it to move it).

The bolt on the ARB had sheered clean off, the head was stuck in the top of the bush and the nut was still on the bottom, so upon inspection everything looked perfectly fine as it was all in line and assembled correctly, but the head had sheered. Replaced that and all was well.

ph2 Clio 172
that would have been a hard one to spot alright, glad you got it sorted. should help a few others to as a possible solution. :)