ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed TCE won't start - airbag ECU been reset and is now clean

'08 1.2 TCE 5dr
Okay so bought a damaged car with side curtain airbag and seat airbag gone off.
Have fitted both units from another car and had the airbag ECU wiped of the accident data.

The car will still not start and the dash light is still there again.

Is there any other accident fuel cut offs anywhere?

Car is an 08 1.2 TCE and can not see a red switch in the bay anywhere.

Pointers apprectated.
:cheers:

Clio200 EDC Lux
There should be a red button in the engine bay this I beleive if the fuel cut off.

Pic from another thread on here:

DSC01135.jpg

'08 1.2 TCE 5dr
SF & Knuckles, there isn't one on mk3's, hence I can't find one anywhere in the bay.

I'm sick, there's 100s of topics like this on various forums and websites where people have asked for info, been told of airbag ecu's and illusive red switches that cease to exist, they then state there is no red switch and to top it all off, it none of the authors conclude and the solution is left to anyones guess, surely they can't all have just gave in and weighed them in??
And if they have concluded their issue they must have been sour and decided that "no-one told me I'm not telling anybody", and left their topics unconcluded regardless of their solution be it take it to a dealer or fixing it themselves.

It's so annoying that hundreds of people have had this issue and yet the solution goes unknown.
I will make sure that a solution is updated in this topic regardless of what it is and hopefully relieve someone from the frustration.

Last edited:
  '08 1.2 TCE 5dr
It wasn't a dig, more of a one at everyone who's previously had the fault and haven't given their solution than anything else.

'08 1.2 TCE 5dr
Ask a renault garage?

That's the obvious answer which to be fair is the easiest but I'm trying to avoid having to lube up.

you need a new unit not a used one

I've read elsewhere several times that the dealer will state this to shaft you and that they are actually good for up to 5 resets, as long as it is the original one from the car so it is programmed to the specific car.

Does anyone who has actually had this issue and solved it know what it might be?? Thanks

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
think the red button might be in the passenger footwell, uptop near to the dash. or under one of the front seats.

might be the wrong car im thinking about but worth a look

BMW M135i
There isn't one past a Mk2 Ph1 Clio, its all done over the canbus after that. Needs to go on clip to see whats holding it off, there will be a fault almost undoubtably the airbag lockout should reset after an ignition cycle.

'08 1.2 TCE 5dr
It seems my topic is shaping up to be the typical type I've seen.

I am reluctant to take it to Renault or ask their advice because no-matter my query they will merely ask cash card or cheque.

Another method to get rid of the issue is that I could probably have an easter raffle for the car, giving away free tickets to guarantee a winner and then go and buy a new one, but as an apprentice on a low wage it'd take me some time of bouncing to college and work on my head before I could afford to buy a new one. :rofl:

Has anyone actually had the fault that can advise me on this?

Clio 182
That's the obvious answer which to be fair is the easiest but I'm trying to avoid having to lube up.

I work at a main renault dealer in sales and if someone was to ask me this question id happily fetch one of the mechanics out for a quick chat with them. There all good guys that know theyre stuff.

If not, find a local trusted renault mechanic and ask.

(This red button sounds interesting, it must be well hidden as i can imagine alot of people would be pressing it out of curiosity lol!)

'08 1.2 TCE 5dr
We do have other irons in the fire including possible visit to a dealer through a friend of my dads. We will bring a conclusion to this forum as up to now there is no conclusive answer on the net.

Any chance you could have a word and ask the lads if they know of what's needed then? :D

The red button is common under the bonnet on peugeots citroens and older renaults, it's just a connection that breaks when a sudden impact occurs in order to cut the engine out, and pressing it back down remakes the contact, but on the latter ones it is all computerised and that's where it goes belly up for most people as it means an average bodywork/mechanic can't sort the issue. :(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Which is why, as suggested above, you should spend some money getting it correctly diagnosed which will then enable you to do the rectification works. I don't understand why you haven't already done this as you seem to acknowledge that guessing isn't going to resolve it.

Bring it to me, I'll tell you exactly what's wrong for £45

Mick

'08 1.2 TCE 5dr
Have had various diagnostics on it, including that of an autoelectrician and a couple of garages. I'm not reluctant to pay to have it diagnosed, attempts have been made and failed.

Have also checked the fuses.

BMW M135i
Have had various diagnostics on it, including that of an autoelectrician and a couple of garages. I'm not reluctant to pay to have it diagnosed, attempts have been made and failed.

Have also checked the fuses.

Yes, none of which will give you the information clip does. It is done on purpose for that reason.

Clio 182
Any chance you could have a word and ask the lads if they know of what's needed then? :D

Spoke to them, once all airbags have gone off, needs a new computer and then plugging into clip at a main dealer.
Although there are some people out there that can reset them. Not recommended though!

Hope thats a push in the right direction.

'08 1.2 TCE 5dr
Got the car back yesterday from the dealer. :)

Cost me £40 (mates rates, this will be more if done via the proper procedure) and we were told it was the fuel system electronics holding impact data which needed clearing.
The dealer confirmed the clearing of the airbag ecu was successful and correct however the fuel cut off was retaining the airbag lights presence and not allowing the car to run.

So, if you're reading this in future and your car will not run after an accident and you have had your airbag ecu reset and airbags fitted etc, it is probably your fuel system electronics holding the data still and you should probably try and find someone with the computer capability to change the "impact data" field in the electrics from yes to no.
:drunk:

To improve this topics presence in future searches: MK3 renault clio 06 07 08 09 III 1.2 tce airbag fuel reset cut off crash accident won't start

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
This was posted over a year ago and the OP hasn't been active since the end of March 2013.

I am amused though that after he went to so much effort making sure it would answer future questions, it still hasn't.