ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crappy rubber rear exhaust mount - MOT fail?

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
I know exhaust mounts are checked for the MOT as I read it on a garage wall the other day!

My rear one has sagged due to the crap rubber bit that suspends it at the back and the tailpipes (twin Prospeed jobby) sit about an inch lower than it used to under the cutout of the rear bumper.

Common fault with that mount I know. But will it fail it's MOT for it?

I can soon fix it up by sticking another one on or lifting the exhaust up and padding it out then cable tying, but I'm not going to be able to get round to it before it's due early this week.

Clio 1.4 16v
yer myn went on myn i faild my MOT for it but as u say cheap and easily fixed....they r quite rubbishly made think myn gone again

2003 172
mine was held togetehr with cable ties because all the rubber has worn away, and mine just past MOT.

Clio 1.6 16v 2000
its a hard call really. if the mount does not support the exhaust system, is coroded or damaged then it prob will fail the test.... depends how observant the tester is tho!! on the other hand, if u cant see it, you cant fail it

Well clearly the exhaust is still supported, just not quite as well as when the rubber hanger was new.

Clio 1.6 16v 2000
it all really comes down to the tester and how he feels about it. always a close call on that kinda thing. hope it goes ok for ya tho buddy

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
u cant fail them really as the exhaust is still secure, ie its not going anywhere, just sagged rubber, unless the rubber has come completely outa the bracket then yea its a fail.

Well I propped it up with some hose, but then noticed the solid rubber one right at the back had split - It looks like an upside down triangle with rounded edges, and seems to be stuck to the underneath of the car right above the backbox.

I didn't have time to fix it and you can't get a cable tie round it, so took it in and hoped they wouldn't notice, and they didn't! Phew.

Still annoying though as it's making the tailpipes hang about 2/3 of an inch lower than they should. I can't see how you'd replace it though as it's solid rubber with a hole through the middle lengthways. No sign of screws, bolts, etc. Any ideas?

audi a6 3.0tdi
Mine failed on the exhaust rubber being worn out so i'd just replace it before going in

It's already passed with a bodge job on the usual rubber hangers and a split one right at the back!

Black 197
I repaired my saggy mounts last weekend,

Couldnt find any pipe around the house and i really couldnt be arsed to go out either so my fix -

Washing machine hose FTW... works a treat lol

Golf GTD Mk7
they are cheap to replace and easy to change really. Saying that, i remember seeing something on her (might be in the project threads) where someone did a fix job on theirs with some sockets.

I'm not worried about the one with the rubber hangers now, I sorted that.

It's the solid rubber one right at the back I'm wondering how to replace.

Audi S1
New rubbers from renault are like £80, I got mine for something like £30 for the two - saying that though when i brought the car mine was held together with cable ties... it passed MOT

which one? the sort of band shaped one?
The upside down triangular/dome one that is right at the back near the bumper. It's solid rubber with no metal, just seems stuck on to the underside of the car.

I don't know if it's something Prospeed added when I had the exhaust done?