ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cracked rear spring (driver side)

renault clio cup 172
is there anywhere or anyone that could do a thread of step by step on how to change the back rear spring have been told its pretty simple to do without compressors and would save me ££ doing it myself i purchased a coil spring today from renault and plan on attempting to change it tomorrow, as much info and detail would be much appreciated thanks.

Yes its very easy.

First - Most people replace rears in pairs, I would but since you havent, make sure you check they are both the same (same height when off and same paint marks)

To do it:

first, look inside you boot for the piramid rubber things, remove them. Undo the 16mm nut on each side to free the top of the shock from the mounting. Don't loose bits. (The 16mm nut may need a ring spanner rather than a socket and hex key to hold the damper rod from spinning)

Second, jack up the rear of the car on both sides, you will need to get it up high enough for the springs to reach full extension (If you only have one jack it may be tricky). As you have unnatached the top of the shocks, they will drop out of their location and may fall against the inner body. This is fine, but don't lower the car without checking they have their top mountings correctly fitted and are able to be re-seated correctly.

Third, if the springs havent already fallen out, pull them gently from their seats. If they don't move easy, jack up higher. Keep the rubber seats and re-use when you put new springs in.

Fourth, once new spring are in, lower car steadilly to make sure shocks locate into the mount hole into the boot. Refit nuts etc. and lower all the way checking that the springs are still seated right.

Fifth, bounce car a few times then double check everything. Re-fit the rubber piramid caps. Job done.

Some will say unnatach the rear shocks via the lower mount. This is a higher-torqued bolt so needs more care and can be difficult, also the gas pressure in the shock puts a slight strain on the bolt as it is withdrawn. Not recommended in my opinion.

renault clio cup 172
Yes its very easy.

First - Most people replace rears in pairs, I would but since you havent, make sure you check they are both the same (same height when off and same paint marks)

To do it:

first, look inside you boot for the piramid rubber things, remove them. Undo the 16mm nut on each side to free the top of the shock from the mounting. Don't loose bits. (The 16mm nut may need a ring spanner rather than a socket and hex key to hold the damper rod from spinning)

Second, jack up the rear of the car on both sides, you will need to get it up high enough for the springs to reach full extension (If you only have one jack it may be tricky). As you have unnatached the top of the shocks, they will drop out of their location and may fall against the inner body. This is fine, but don't lower the car without checking they have their top mountings correctly fitted and are able to be re-seated correctly.

Third, if the springs havent already fallen out, pull them gently from their seats. If they don't move easy, jack up higher. Keep the rubber seats and re-use when you put new springs in.

Fourth, once new spring are in, lower car steadilly to make sure shocks locate into the mount hole into the boot. Refit nuts etc. and lower all the way checking that the springs are still seated right.

Fifth, bounce car a few times then double check everything. Re-fit the rubber piramid caps. Job done.

Some will say unnatach the rear shocks via the lower mount. This is a higher-torqued bolt so needs more care and can be difficult, also the gas pressure in the shock puts a slight strain on the bolt as it is withdrawn. Not recommended in my opinion.

thats great thanks, seen as I am only doing driver rear, a take it a only loosing the nut inside the boot from top of the mount?

No. You do them at teh same time really. Your rear axle is almost certainly too stiff to only loosen one side and get the extension required.

No problem :)

Lionel Richie
or do it the easy way, undo the 18mm bolt on the lower shock, jack up car, get mate to push down on wheel while you pull spring out, reverse procedure - done

if take you more than 10min give up and go to a garage!

renault clio cup 172
no problem:), so loosing off those nuts at the top inside boot, jack car up on both sides, so springs extension, then the spring should come away? then fit the new spring, lower the car again steadily, making sure top mount goes back in and spring stays in, ones stays in lower down and tighten the nuts? that sound about right pal?

renault clio cup 172
or do it the easy way, undo the 18mm bolt on the lower shock, jack up car, get mate to push down on wheel while you pull spring out, reverse procedure - done

if take you more than 10min give up and go to a garage!

lol that easy a take it then fred? a shall give this a go tomorrow:) rear spring is snapped at top and is an MOT failure, so better get it changed.

instead of loosening anything in the boot (top mount), just remove the lower shock bolt as fred said. as you lower the car with the new spring in place, stop when the damper hole is in line and tighten then lower the car again.

edit: oops too late!

That's My way of doing it, yes!

Like fred says, you can undo the lower bolt on the shock instead (I did it this way when removing the exhaust) but I feel it may be better to undo the top nut instead, for the reasons in my firts post.

Once you get going it will all be sooooo obvious!!!!

renault clio cup 172
instead of loosening anything in the boot (top mount), just remove the lower shock bolt as fred said. as you lower the car with the new spring in place, stop when the damper hole is in line and tighten then lower the car again.

edit: oops too late!

sounds so easy thanks guys a shall get on with this tomorrow:) much appreciated for your help.

renault clio cup 172
rear spring

well a just attempted to change the rear spring on my clio cup 172, the bottom bolt was coming out then BANG!! the bolts snapped, theres still a wee bit left inside the axle end, so have gave up, my wee bro works in kwik fit, and hes going to get a spring compressor tomorrow and put the new spring in and then take the car through to his work and burn the wee bit of bolt left in the axle and then fit a new bolt and reattach it.

Really unlucky. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but my advice was to leave that bolt alone (much to the dissagreement of others). Quite frustating, feel bad for you mate.

renault clio cup 172
Really unlucky. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but my advice was to leave that bolt alone (much to the dissagreement of others). Quite frustating, feel bad for you mate.

a still got it off lol, but wee bit left in the axle, but my wee brother works in kwik fit so hes going to take it in and burn it out, and then fit the new bolt then sorted:), a tryed your way and a just found the top eh the road kepted spinning and everything a tryed to grip it with wasnt keeping a hold of it. at least a gave it ago.

renault clio cup 172
well thats the new spring fulled fitted on place, my wee brother brung him his spring compressors (clamp things) and put the spring in and lowered the car, he is going to take it into his work (kwik fit) on sunday and burn out the bolt and fit a new one.