ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cr33do and Meek_Racing's track car project

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
don't solidly mount the oil cooler and don't use self tappers, i hate those polo rads, no good for a road car IMO, find on a hero car, don't go hammering M8 bolts through it eh ;)

Ok- cheers, I think I can knock up some rubber mounts for the cooler.

Regarding the polo rad - suppose its a good job ours is a HERO car ;)

RB 182
Cheers! Fingers crossed we should have it running in a couple of weeks. It will have a few other secret bits added which we will reveal once it is mapped ;)

RB 182
Nick, I've got some anti vibration strips in work if that helps? They are about 25 x 150 x 10mm thick. Can cut them down to size or just get a universal mount from online?

Ok- cheers, I think I can knock up some rubber mounts for the cooler.

Regarding the polo rad - suppose its a good job ours is a HERO car ;)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Update #17 - Mocal Oil cooler

I had another couple of hours available to work on the car this morning so set about mounting the oil cooler we bought from Matt350.

I took Fred's advice and didnt hard-mount the cooler to the chassis. By chance the rubber I had cut off the radiator mounts yesterday was perfect for todays task. A couple of penny washers either side made a suitably spaced mount:

1dafd5f6.jpg

On the car:

e58714a2.jpg

I decided to mount the cooler as far over to the left as possibe to keep as much fresh, cool air to the reduced sized radiator. The mounts worked a treat but the right bold was very fiddly to work into the box section cross member. I will cut off the bolts to suitable length durinf final install and replace the nuts with double nylon one forming a locking nut.

Cooler mounted:

be17f9a0.jpg

I had previously noticed that the Renault bumper recess had quite a few "blanked" squares to the left hand side:

422a4f96.jpg

I mounted the cooler partially behind these with a view to open them up, so i marked out the ones inline with the cooler:

c2721399.jpg

Then tidied up with the Dremel:

8a4c5379.jpg

And the bumper back on the car allowing fresh air the all of the oil cooler:

5eec5a50.jpg

In time I might make a plastic undertray to catch all the available air and stop large stones punching holes through the cooler.

Thanks for reading - more updates next weekend:)

Nick

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Thanks- so many good projects on here now. Chrispy.clio was the first one I ever read back-to-back. It got me hooked

Hi there.

Just thought I'd drop you a quick line to say that the Volvo has gone and I am now the pround owner of Clio Cup No.3! Just in the process of fitting my seat, harness and other race prep goodies prior to its first outing on track, which was going to be 30/5 at Donnington. However, a fault throttle pedal may cause this to be missed.

Also waiting on an oil cooler and some bushes amongst other bits and bobs. Interested to see how you have mounted your cooler. Also like the looks of the Polo rad.

Keep up the good work, might see you on track soon.

Nice job with the oil cooler, I'm thinking to move mine atm. I thought the inlets/outlets had to be upright otherwise it just empties all the oil from the rad into the sump and then you can never read the oil level? I am probably totally wrong :eek:

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Hi there.

Just thought I'd drop you a quick line to say that the Volvo has gone and I am now the pround owner of Clio Cup No.3! Just in the process of fitting my seat, harness and other race prep goodies prior to its first outing on track, which was going to be 30/5 at Donnington. However, a fault throttle pedal may cause this to be missed.

Also waiting on an oil cooler and some bushes amongst other bits and bobs. Interested to see how you have mounted your cooler. Also like the looks of the Polo rad.

Keep up the good work, might see you on track soon.

Hello! You are back for more then? :) What is your aim this time around? more sprinting or just the odd track day? Btw - loved the picture that you posted in the Volvo build of the Cup going sideways in to a corner (just a little bit of lift-off oversteer, lol).

Bound to see you at a track day this year - if you get time get a project thread on the go

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Nice job with the oil cooler, I'm thinking to move mine atm. I thought the inlets/outlets had to be upright otherwise it just empties all the oil from the rad into the sump and then you can never read the oil level? I am probably totally wrong :eek:

You got me thinking about the orientation of the cooler for a minute! I think its alright with the inlet/outlet being underneath as the oil filter is well above the height of the cooler and this is acting as the "head height" of the pumped system. Hope so anyway :)

You got me thinking about the orientation of the cooler for a minute! I think its alright with the inlet/outlet being underneath as the oil filter is well above the height of the cooler and this is acting as the "head height" of the pumped system. Hope so anyway :)
That makes perfect sense I knew I'd be wrong lol :)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Update #18 - Aerocatches

Mike and I bought some aerocatches from forum member Matt350 and as we had some time on Sunday already set aside to work on the car we thought we might as well have a go at fitting them.

We had to make up some fitting templates (drawings available on aerocatch website) as they weren't provided but the bulk of the time was measuring, and double measuring, everything before picking up a power tool. A quick word of warning to anyone about to fit these - if you plan to use the slam panel holes either side of the car they are NOT symetrical. Luckily we spotted this whilst marking out.

Strike pins were mounted on the side panels then marked up on the respective double skinned bonnet. We drilled a hole then measured (and re-measured) the templates:

462dcf90.jpg

f9bff75d.jpg

Cutting was going quite well using one of these dremel bits:

01bd871c.jpg

Until my trusty dremel started getting a bit warm during the first cutout. I let it cool down but its got a misfire and running very slow. So trying to fix this took some time:

472e5927.jpg

All back together and its still not working right. The brushes still have life left in them and everything else looks quite clean. I think it's dead :(

So tonight I put the dremel bit in my drill and finished cutting out both tear drops on the bonnet:

cb2bbf72.jpg

I still have the second skin to go (which shouldn't be as bad) but I have already concluded that if I ran a garage I would be charging a small fortune to fit these - I will be glad to see the back of this job!

Cheers,

Nick

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I've got my bonnet held on with 4 of these after I cut the entire skin out. Saved a good amount of weight from chopping it all out as well.
Measure twice cut once is the key! Lol!

How strong is the bonnet without any ribbing? It must flex quite a bit surely?

Definately a case of measure twice, cut once!:)

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Hello! You are back for more then? :) What is your aim this time around? more sprinting or just the odd track day? Btw - loved the picture that you posted in the Volvo build of the Cup going sideways in to a corner (just a little bit of lift-off oversteer, lol).

Bound to see you at a track day this year - if you get time get a project thread on the go

Plans this time round are to do some trackdays initially. There is a round of the CSCC Tin Tops series at Donnington in August which I am aiming to do and then re strip and rebuild over winter ready for trackdays and a few more races next season.

Spent yesterday afternoon copying your idea for mounting the oil cooler and have just ordered an SE310 from adrad as future plans are for throttle bodies and my original rad is rusty. You will find the car on here from when AdamR owned it. Might do a rebuild thread over winter, but for now its just build, build, build before the season runs out.

182cup & 172 racecar
Plans this time round are to do some trackdays initially. There is a round of the CSCC Tin Tops series at Donnington in August which I am aiming to do and then re strip and rebuild over winter ready for trackdays and a few more races next season.

Spent yesterday afternoon copying your idea for mounting the oil cooler and have just ordered an SE310 from adrad as future plans are for throttle bodies and my original rad is rusty. You will find the car on here from when AdamR owned it. Might do a rebuild thread over winter, but for now its just build, build, build before the season runs out.

Ooo, another one. The more the merrier.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Im feeling really left out with all this racing malarky going on!!

AdamR's old car - just read the project thread. That's a nice car to begin with! Will definately be coming along to watch some CSCC action this year

182cup & 172 racecar
Im feeling really left out with all this racing malarky going on!!

AdamR's old car - just read the project thread. That's a nice car to begin with! Will definately be coming along to watch some CSCC action this year

Silverstone this Saturday :)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Mike - it's on the Silverstone website. £10pp but i cannot see a timetable.

Emma has made plans to go out for the day - but im doing my best to change that :)

Regarding the racing - so much more expensive than doing trackdays so the only way i could see it working is via some sponsorship. I will have a word with the marketing department ;)

Sorry I'm on my phone so can't look but timetable should be on the CSCC website under calender and then a link next to the event :) Off the top of my head practice is around 9.30 and race around 2 but that is give and take an hour ;)