ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cr33do and Meek_Racing's track car project

220 Trophy
DSC_0580.jpg

Great thread by the way.

Sorry to highjack the thread a bit it, but does anyone know if it’s safe to remove the bar across the inside of the roof left once having removed the lining. I’m not sure if it’s structural or just there to hold the interior light etc.

RB 182
The only place the light is secured will be the front top brace. You would be a silly man to remove it! It's all pressed/formed steel to give the car strenght and keep it regid.

220 Trophy
The only place the light is secured will be the front top brace. You would be a silly man to remove it! It's all pressed/formed steel to give the car strenght and keep it regid.

Thanks. I didn’t say I was going to, was only asking if it’s safe to do so. I could've sworn there was a light, or alarm sensor or something there before I removed everything, therefore wondered if it was purely there just to hold the light, or whatever it was.

Renault 5 Turbo
One booked next week then see if we can squeeze another two before winter. If it wasn't for moving house i'd be tempted to take it to Spa.

OOOHHHH yea SPA baby!!! :) just have a quite word with the missus and say its really important that you go testing at spa for R&D purposes lol

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
UPDATE #6 – Maintenance Required

I have fallen a little bit behind with the thread over the last week as it has been quite a busy time leading up to our first track day at Oulton Park. So, for clarity, I will split the updates in to two portions – PRE trackday and POST trackday (UPDATE #7)

Last Wednesday (I think) I decided to have a go at levelling the car as the rear suspension sat lower to the one side. Looking at the rear cups it was obvious that the osr was wound up a good 5-10mm further than the nsr. After doing some research in to corner weighting I found an old thread that suggested the rear spring platforms should be roughly set the same and the osf should be set 7-10mm higher than the nsf to accommodate the extra weight of the engine and fuel tank etc. We could have paid for the car to be corner weighted but as GAZ coilovers receive mixed reviews we thought we might as well get it in the right ball park ourselves and see what it feels like on track before spending the money. It was whilst looking at the osf that I spotted something I really didn’t want to see:

subframe.jpg

Excuse the rubbish picture but it was taken with my phone moments after the discovery and I was already fearing the worst. Those of you that aren’t familiar with what goes on behind the wheels of the Clio are looking at what happens when someone doesn’t know you should really tack weld a Powerflex sleeve to the wishbone. In this case, our steel insert decided to dine out at the local `Subframe` diner L

A quick call to Mike led to another quick call to Fred@BTM. We then hot-footed it up to Fred’s for a brief inspection and an even quicker conclusion that it was “F**KED”. To be honest, I think I knew that bit was comingL

We left the car with Fred and explained that we had booked a track day at Oulton Park the following week. Fred would do what he could and see if it could be fixed in time. The following day we received a call that subframe really did need to be replaced. We could either source a second hand one or buy new from Renault. In the end we decided to get a new one. The expensive option but you never know what you get when you buy second-hand – at the end of the day I am sure we could have potentially bought a bent 2
[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand one and it only become apparent when fitting etc. Even though it was an expensive fix, I’m really really glad I spotted this before we drove the car with a little bit of anger on track. At least with a brand new frame we know that the wishbone wont detach itself from the subframe – something you don’t want to happen whilst tipping the car in to a corner at 90+MPH!

[Brown-nosing Fred]

Fred ordered a new subframe direct from Renault. Luckily, Renault UK had one in the Country and delivery was due Monday/Tuesday this week. We now had a chance that the car could be repaired in time J but only if Fred pulled his finger out and performed some afterhours fitting. The subframe turned up on Tuesday to BTM but Fred spotted that Renault, in their wisdom, chose to deliver the wrong part! A quick phone call and they shipped the correct part to BTM later in the afternoon. Fred worked through the night and finished the car around 4:30AM and we picked it up at 6:00AM on the way to Oulton Park. Talk about cutting it fine!

I must say, this is the first time I have used BTM as I am new to the Renault scene. Mike has always trusted his car to Fred and I cannot say how happy we were with the end result and the ability to attend our track day – Thanks Fred!

[/Brown-nosing Fred]

Here is a crap picture of our new shiny subframe in situ:

DSC_0856.jpg

A couple of other little things were spotted whilst it was on the ramp but thankfully these are pretty minor and be rectified in the near future.

This now leads us on to the trackday itself :) – which I will try and write the update for later.

Thanks for reading,
Nick (and Mike)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Another tight deadline met by fred. When insurance permits and I can get a Renaultsport I know where I will be going.

Shitter that you had to get a new subframe though.

RB 182
We looked at getting a second hand one but to be honest, just wasn't worth running around spending petrol money to look at them, then run the risk of it looking straight by sight and not so when fitted. Fred spotted a few other issues that the previous owner/s cut corners with, he worked through the night and when we came to pick it up at 6am, he stroled out of his custom made office bed ;) He's been working solid for 2 days straight let alone the silly hours he works for other people. Can't praise him enough, he deserves his posh holiday in a few weeks time ;)

TTRS & V50
Love the story.

All hail fred, now thats service !

..so how did the trackday go, bet you discovered loads of things that need doing now after its first shakedown. I assume you did the TD on the 2118's.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Love the story.

All hail fred, now thats service !

..so how did the trackday go, bet you discovered loads of things that need doing now after its first shakedown. I assume you did the TD on the 2118's.

Thanks. Glad it's worth writing these updates!

All will be revealed in the next update later today:)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Update #7 - 1st Trackday with the Cup

AS previously documented we were able to make this trackday by the skin of our teeth. We picked the car up from BTM at 6am. On our arrival I had my doubts that the car would be ready as Fred strolled out, puffing on a fag, quoting "I've been working on her solid for the last 2hrs". It was only when I saw a bed, softly lit by candle light in the office, that I thought I had got the wrong end of the stick. Luckily, there was no blonde around and the Clio was in one piece. Happy days!

Mike and I made good time up to Oulton Park and even had time to brim the tank full of "super" before arriving and signing on. Mike took the car out for the compulsory sighting laps and no strange noises or vibrations could be felt. I took it out for the first proper session and gradually increased the pace. The brakes felt really good but I knew after only a couple of the laps the suspension needed quite a bit of tweaking. The main problem was the understeer when applying the throttle mid-bend. In Mike's car Druids and Cascades are 3rd gear corners. As soon as you have the car settled you get get on the power for most of the corner (especially druids). Our car understeerd really early on, even with a modest application of the throttle. Understeer is frustrating, slow and really boring. Back to the Paddock.

DSC_0853.jpg

We softened the front by a fraction, didn't want to go too much because they didn't feel that stiff any way. We concentrated with adjusting the rear damping. We initially had the rears set to 9 clicks (out of 42 available) and increased by 1 click at a time. After the next 2 sessions we made the jump to 2 clicks at a time. Mike could feel an improvement and by lunch time I took the car out just before the break and it felt sooo much better. The traction mid-bend and out of the corners was a lot better and the car more playful whilst trail-breaking. Still not as good as Mike's AST setup but it felt like we might be able to make the car atleast fun to drive with the GAZs.

DSC_0873.jpg

After lunch we slowly increased the rear damping further and dropped the front tyre pressure a little. We had enjoyed a dry track all morning but the sky darkened and the rain came mid afternoon. We still went out on track during this time and the car ran faultlessly. I think we were both impressed with the Federal RS-R in both conditions. It was whilst the track was damp that the only real "moment" was experienced. Mike was at the helm and a Porsche span entering Old Hall. Mike braked (and locked the wheels) and we slid on to the grass and ever closer to the barrier! I was must admit, at one point I thought a collision with the barrier was on the cards but at the last moment the wet grass provided enough grip to steer the car in the correct direction. I was releived, Mike more so:)

Here is a video of an early lap behind Jonny1*2 (nice to meet you Jonny - your car looked good out on track). If you want to see the close encounter skip forward to 4min35sec:

So overall we are really pleased with the car and bringing it home running and in one peice is the main thing. I think the next purchase should be a Whiteline ARB, corner weighting (lif the rear 5mm or so) and a 4 wheel aligment (maybe with slight toe-out at the front). Mike and I will discuss this further. Unfortunatley, as you can see in the pics we didnt have time to fit the Speedline 2118's, this leads us in to the next update coming very soon!

DSC_0186.jpg

^^picture courtesy of Jonny1*2 (hope you dont mind)

Thanks for reading,

Nick (and Mike)

Last edited by a moderator:
  TrackCar & F30 330d
Sounds like a great day! I can't see the vid on my phone but I'll watch it later.

So are you guys planning on getting it to another trackday this year?

53 Clio's & counting
Twas pretty twitchy!

Takes a lot of will power to lift off and re-apply brakes when your heading towards a barrier

RB 182
Crispy.clio - Will book at least two, will sort it out this weekend. I'd like to go back to Donington as I love the flow of that track, will also squeeze Bedford in.
Russ_16v - Once onto the grass I was on and off the brakes but the car was still heading in one direction despite full lock. I Initially thought it was oil or a greasy surface that the Porsche span on, but looking back I just over reacted and locked up without thinking about it. This is the first time I've locked up the car with no ABS, I think Nick was more animated if the camera were to pan onto him. I just causally looked at the barrier hoping the car would pull right lol.
Sam - Shame you couldn't have come, if we go back to Donny I'd quite like to try your special lines through Craners and McLeans in this car ;)

Transit & Death trap
Wasn't sure I'd like the look of this(orange, blue, black), but its come together really nicely and really works. Bet it will look even better with the speedlines. That vids got me all inspired and wanting to some track time. Excellent work guys.

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice video Nick. I found myself pushing the floor with the right foot watching that braking masterclass.lol

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Great vid guys, looked to have been a fun outing. Will keep an eye on your future progress :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Forgot to ask, but do you know if the mini was tuned? Seemed quite nippy. He wouldn't move out of the way either. Nearly rear ended him into Shell. DS2500 fail!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Forgot to ask, but do you know if the mini was tuned? Seemed quite nippy. He wouldn't move out of the way either. Nearly rear ended him into Shell. DS2500 fail!

We spoke to the driver after Mike had a great little battle with him (whick I witnessed from the Pit wall). Cooper S with JCW package, KW suspension and track tyres. Seemed to go quite well!

DS2500 - our pedal went a little soft running these too. We now have some DS3000 ready to go in

Golf GTD Mk7
It was the vibration through the pedal that scared me a little. Not much bite to them. I've had this a few times now, but when they cool down they are fine. Was thinking about running CAF for them, but not sure if that will make much difference considering you're running that setup.

JCW package hey. Does that mean tuned then?

RB 182
I'm starting to think there might be a dodgey batch of Ferodo's atm. I ran DS2500 last year and they were great, hand no fade unless on long stints... Our last set on both standard and 4 pot calipers didn't last long. Are you running palin or grooved discs Jonny?

Few goodies ordered today :D

Golf GTD Mk7
running brembo HC discs mate. Maybe i'm just over cooking them. Too many laps etc. I was being sympathetic to them too, lifting off early etc, but still no better. I may have pushed them past the point of use. New pads needed, but we'll see how Donny fairs. Not sure what to go for as i'm not keen on the paint work getting trashed. Problem is CL and DS3000's both do this, so i'm struggling to think of a better pad.

RB 182
DS3000 are not that harsh, they never left any marks on my paintwork, just clean them after the track day ;) We have gone for these pads so shall see what they are like on standard setup. Hopefully Donny ;)

Are you booking a garage?