ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Corsa VXR - Pics & some thoughts

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
A few pics of my mates new Corsa VXR which I had a shot in at the weekend. It's got the bluetooth, which syncs with your phone and lets you control it from the steering wheel, phonebook and all, which is darn cool heh! Drives nice, good in gear power, seems to grip well but feels a bit figedty on the 35 profile tyres. Anyway, on with the pics!

DaveVxr_004.JPG

DaveVxr_005.JPG

DaveVxr_008.JPG

DaveVxr_009.JPG

DaveVxr_011.JPG

Apologies for the pics, light was very low and I had no tripod.

Dan

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
No, we thought that was weird too. Especially for a turbo where it matters more regarding beans when cold. Also, I know on paper these have shedloads of torque, way more than a 197, but to be honest the 197 I test drove this week didn't feel much slower at all in gear in the real world.

Dan

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I got to say that im a big fan of these.

Ok they dont look as good as a 197, but the interior makes up for it.

All it would take is a set of coil overs and a decent remap and this would destroy a 197.

Corsa owners are seeing 230-240bhp from uprated IC, milltek zaust and bluefin remap.

Plus they return much better economy at arounf 32-34mpg when run in.

No, we thought that was weird too. Especially for a turbo where it matters more regarding beans when cold.

Dan

Bit odd, even basic cars have them nowadays, and in a turbo'd car I'd want a oil temp gauge too!! It is a Vauxhall however, so not surprised.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
No, we thought that was weird too. Especially for a turbo where it matters more regarding beans when cold.

Dan

Thats a real shame, hot hatch fans like to know exactly whats going on under the hood. I want boost gauges, coolant, oil pressure, oil temp, fuel mixture, charge temp etc etc etc.

Im staggered a turbo car does not have temp gauge.

My old Punto GT had a boost gauge. Was almost useless though. Put a oil temp gauge and proper boost gauge in. But it had a dawes type bleed on it, so needed to know what it was running.

But water and oil temp as standard nowadays, and boost would be entertaining. Even my 106 gti had oil temp/level.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
There is a gauge for the outside temp but aside from that we haven't noticed any kind of engine temp gauge? I could be wrong however...?

Dan

with the exception of the seats, really not a fan of the interior.

maybe i'm not used to it, but the speedo etc strikes me as being a bit hard to read. steering wheel looks ugly.

what did u think of the gearknob? when i tried one, it struck me as being one of the most uncomfortable ones i've ever tried!

nice colour tho!

has it got sat nav? dont remember seeing that big screen in the one i test drove.

MCS R56
It's just trying too hard, as with all VXR's. Not for me. Interior is just all too halfords and the body kit is ott. Boy racers' wet dream!

Glacier White 200
the seats in this make the 197 recaros look pony

The seats in the 197 are the same seats except the bolsters are done in leather on the Vauxhall.

The seats are made by Recaro and are called Recaro Sportster CS.

This car isn't for me lookswise, the exhaust tries to be original and doesn't work as it looks like an arsehole. It's all just OTT and just doesn't have the subtle sporty look the 197 has.

Great that you can tune it up alot but I can't see the point of putting all that extra boost through a front wheel drive car, it's just gonna make it handle even worse.

Last edited:
  Coiley'd Clio PH2
My mate has just got one of these aswell.
Already fitted a bailey dumpvalve to it! just sounds like someone is trying to whisper something to you though.
It is a lovely car, looks even nicer in the flesh.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
It's just trying too hard, as with all VXR's. Not for me. Interior is just all too halfords and the body kit is ott. Boy racers' wet dream!
I would have to agree. I don't see the attraction.

White 197
I don't like the hump in the dash which contains the radio display.

The Astra VXR doesn't have a temp guage and nor for that matter does the diesel one I have.

Grabbed a pic of one on track a few weeks back, looks a bit odd imo, actually kind of tall and narrow (which it isn't really), 182 shot for comparison below, haven't got one of a 197 from the same spot yet...

281614514_WGTRq-L.jpg

281602556_3gHXP-L.jpg

Astra VXD xp with DTUK
the seats in this make the 197 recaros look pony

Great that you can tune it up alot but I can't see the point of putting all that extra boost through a front wheel drive car, it's just gonna make it handle even worse.

agreed here, all that extra power is just gonna make it torque steer summit awful especially if its anything like the astra VXR is. thats terrible for torque steer apparently

Astra VXD xp with DTUK
Grabbed a pic of one on track a few weeks back, looks a bit odd imo, actually kind of tall and narrow (which it isn't really), 182 shot for comparison below, haven't got one of a 197 from the same spot yet...

281614514_WGTRq-L.jpg

281602556_3gHXP-L.jpg

i'd have the cup any day :)

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
All of the ones around Chelmsford i have seen.... There young lad's. They turn the key and before you know it there ragging it down the road :(

Ill keep my 172 thanks!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

Dan

Bit odd, even basic cars have them nowadays, and in a turbo'd car I'd want a oil temp gauge too!! It is a Vauxhall however, so not surprised.

there is a way to display the engine temp in place of the outside temp. i printed it out from VXR online and have done it on mine. ill have a look at for the link in a bit.

no temp was a disapointment for me too. didnt notice for a few days though.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
think it looks cool. ive removed the "corsa" and vauxhall badges on mine and think it makes the back look much better. like this

rear.jpg

Golf 7R

All it would take is a set of coil overs and a decent remap and this would destroy a 197.

Corsa owners are seeing 230-240bhp from uprated IC, milltek zaust and bluefin remap.

So your basically saying if you MODIFY a Corsa it will beat a STANDARD Clio...... well you learn something new everyday!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
think it looks cool. ive removed the "corsa" and vauxhall badges on mine and think it makes the back look much better. like this

rear.jpg

Yea he's on about losing the giant rear griffin as well heh! If you could post details about the temp that'd be sweet :) We found a way of making it display what we thought was the temp but when we checked on VXRonline (there is some serious tarts on there heh!) it seems we were displaying some code for something.

All these people mentioning torque steer and bad handling - try driving one. I'll be the first to admit I assumed it would be a bit crap, but it's not. It doesn't torque steer at all, it has a huge, huge reserve of grip and the steering is very nicely weighted. Doesn't feel as nice as the 197 in the corners, but that's not to say it's crap.

Dan

A silver one
Think the whole interior, from the dash to the centre console and the seats look fantastic.

Much better than any Clio interior.

LOL at all the people who say it'll PROBABLY have terrible torque steer because the Astra VXR APPARENLY does, yet have never driven either. Typical CS :(

Looks well specced.
Like the look of the C-VXR, it managed to keep some of the flares and lines that were in its' concept car, which is a rarity nowadays. Only thing is id have to agree it does look quite tall compared to 197.
Goes like stink though!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Looks well specced.
Like the look of the C-VXR, it managed to keep some of the flares and lines that were in its' concept car, which is a rarity nowadays. Only thing is id have to agree it does look quite tall compared to 197.
Goes like stink though!
its only 4mm taller, but as it doesnt have the flared/wide arches the 197 does and so makes it look that bit taller.

i like the interior a lot more than the 197

MCS R56

So your basically saying if you MODIFY a Corsa it will beat a STANDARD Clio...... well you learn something new everyday!

I'm going wite that one down. Modding = Clio beater. Genius!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Just as an update here - I'm gonna test drive one of these at a dealer next week. As I'm hopefully soon in the market for a new hot hatch, and I was pretty settled on a 197 but really, I feel as though I should try the opposition. And obviously, it been my mates brand new car I couldn't really give it to it.

Dan