ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Corrosion Issues?

Hi Newbie here, I have a question and seeing as the Clio discussion forum is closed I thought I would post it here (hope I got it in the right place).

Does anyone own a 172 thats 3 years old? and if you do, do you have any problems with rust?

I have just bought a 172 Cup on a 52plate and it is just 3 years old, I have in the past owned Golf VR6's and even an Old Porsche 944 Turbo and I realise the build quality on a Renault isn't as good.

When I found this car I was actually looking for a V6 Four Motion or a Scooby and my brother called me up and said he had seen a 172 Cup for sale, so on a whim I took it out for a test drive and I was blown away!

I bought it there and then, but now I find myself worrying about build issues and corrosion, so I was just wondering what kind of problems people have encounterd if any?

At the moment the car hasn't a mark on it and drives like a dream, it truly is a pocket rocket and once I hit the twisty bits I can't help but smile, has to go down as one of the best cars I have ever driven or owned.

So my only worry is the bodywork in the future, can anyone give me any info?

cheers in advance!

C

ClioSport Admin

I really dont think rust is a major issue with the mk2 172's .. or even the mk1 172'a for that matter.

Just gonna move this thread over to Exterior, probably best suited in that forum.

mitchzxr said:
Ever seen a clio with rust like a fiesta??? I haven't!!!

How much did you pay?

This is true I haven't seen a one, but saying that I would NEVER buy a fiesta lol.

I got a pretty good deal on it (one of the reasons I bought it) picked it up for £6,700, I have seen one on sale not far from me for £8,995 so I think I did ok.

Golf GTI 1.8T
Don't know much about the prices but that seems very good to me! Serious though, I've never seen rust even on a mk1. Mines got plastic front wings (not sure about yours) so got no probs there, everything seems to be very good with renaults, cant actually think of a recent renault that I've seen with rust.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
they've all got plastic front wings.

the mk2's dont tend to corrode, even with them being around for 7 years, i've yet to see rust on one. Mine is 6 years old and theres no signs of corrosion and believe me, i check, lol.

Its either been very poorly treated, or its been owned by someone next to the sea! lol.

Friction said:
they've all got plastic front wings.

the mk2's dont tend to corrode, even with them being around for 7 years, i've yet to see rust on one. Mine is 6 years old and theres no signs of corrosion and believe me, i check, lol.

Its either been very poorly treated, or its been owned by someone next to the sea! lol.

Don't get me wrong there is no rust on it (in fact its spotless!) but after having a mark 3 Golf VR6 that I had to get sprayed every year because they arn't as rust proof as the mark 4 (or the mark 2 for that matter!) I find myself spending a lot of time looking into every nook and cranny for the slightest hint of Corrosion!

I am a tad anal about my cars I guess!

They have a 12 year anti corrosion warranty so it shouldnt matter mate, Renault will fix it for free.

Look in your service book and it tells you about it in there iirc

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
anti corrosion warranty's have terms usually.

One of those terms is that you take it to the dealer on a set period for a paint inspection.

Chances on actually having renault fix your paint for you after even three years is SLIM imo.

Thanks for the info, I just read my warranty and apparently you need to get your bodywork inspected at least every two years and according to my service book, it had on last christmas and had a scratch to the front wing repaired.

So as long as I get it checked at my next service in 6 months time the warranty should be sound.

Thats good to know.

when I took our 182 for its 1st service, they marked it as checked in the service book.

Any dealer worth his gold would just have a quick check every service for ya. They dont charge extra for it and it only takes 30 seconds