ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooper JCW v 172 cup

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
i would love a JCW, think they are so nice. i like the GP's too wonder if that wouldve been a different story?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I think they look good. It's wheels which put me off. Lack of seats doesn't bother me at all really.

RB 182 195bhp
Clio 172 cup is 1010kg, standard 172/182 are 1090, weight loss is due too no a/c, thinner glass in the side windows, no abs, bench rear seat and light weight speed line wheels

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I like the look of the various jcw mini's, i could only drive the GP myself, 203bhp/tonne isnt to be sniffed at! I got simply molested in my old 145bhp VTS by one :(

260% JCW
TBH in a straight line there was nothing in it between our old 172 and the Mrs R56 MCS but then the Clio is made from used Tuna tins and weighs a lot less. The R56 JCW in your pictures is a MCS with the works kit so should be about 197bhp. The R56 unlike the R53 make their factory figures with ease, most produce even more.

Exhaust, decat, matched inlets and a decent map should do it

These mods on a R56 JCW can see between 250bhp+

As for fuel the R56 has DI and can achieve 40+MPG on a run.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Yeah thats true esp as you can get 30 BHP out of a map on em my mrs has a cooper 1.6 its not a bad car i feels very heavy but they hold there value very well indeed!!

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
You do realise that an R56 JCW with an exhaust/de-cat and a map would be around 240bhp with a similar torque figure?

The old supercharged ones are abit wet when standard, but I don't for one second believe that from 50-70 miles an hour a Cup can do it 5 SECONDS​ faster.

Im just quoting what it said in the mag..Not my figures..

So my completely standard cup 172bhp kept up with a JCW which are 210bhp approx...I reckon with 195bhp in the cup it would certainly trouble a mapped cooper even at 240bhp..Not saying it would stay with it easy but id say it wouldnt be left for dead.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Clio 172 cup is 1010kg, standard 172/182 are 1090, weight loss is due too no a/c, thinner glass in the side windows, no abs, bench rear seat and light weight speed line wheels

They dont have thinner glass, ive got both ph1 ph2 and 172 cup windows here and they are all the same thickness.

Fuel consumption is amazing though, my sister has a ph1 1.4 16v and both my 172 and Williams are both better on fuel. Must be due to the fact the 2.0 motor pulls the car with such ease.

MCS R56

So my completely standard cup 172bhp kept up with a JCW which are 210bhp approx...I reckon with 195bhp in the cup it would certainly trouble a mapped cooper even at 240bhp..Not saying it would stay with it easy but id say it wouldnt be left for dead.

Well if standard sticks with standard, then increasing both cars by 30 bhp, I'd say they'd roughly still be the same. I'd give the in-gear time to the Mini though, as the Clio will still have sod all torque. Not much between them.

They dont have thinner glass, ive got both ph1 ph2 and 172 cup windows here and they are all the same thickness.

Fuel consumption is amazing though, my sister has a ph1 1.4 16v and both my 172 and Williams are both better on fuel. Must be due to the fact the 2.0 motor pulls the car with such ease.

Maybe the glass is only thinner in the back windows. I think I remember the dude who replaced my Cup windscreen saying they were different to normal 172's, not sure how though.

260% JCW

The JCW he played with is the 197bhp version.

RB 182 Cup
Normal 172 and 182 windscreens have a reflective metalized make up to reflect heat away from the inside. It looks bluey in certain lights, Cups do without this and just have cheap standard windshields. I very much doubt there is much difference it weight though, just cheaper!

MCS R56
Normal 172 and 182 windscreens have a reflective metalized make up to reflect heat away from the inside. It looks bluey in certain lights, Cups do without this and just have cheap standard windshields. I very much doubt there is much difference it weight though, just cheaper!

Ah, okay. That's why they were sweat boxes, along with no AC! Maybe a few grams of weight saving??

E90 320d M Sport
The r56 JCW is 208bhp if it's a factory built R56 - not a standard S with the JCW kit on (wheels etc).

They are pretty rapid and will see a 172/182 off.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I drove the turbo'd roadster JCW and it was quicker than a 172/182. Traction control was always cutting in I found though, even from mild standing starts