ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

coolant change

looking to do a coolant change on my 172 in the next couple of weeks and have a question, when flushing out the system how does the water complete a full cycle if the thermostat is still in?
surely this would need to be removed to get a complete cycle for the draining phase?
and has anyone got any pics of the location of the thermostat?

thanks

Ph1 172
Remove the thermostat. Also watch it - if you have the bottom rad hose disconnected loads more coolant will come out when you do.

Located on the right hand side of the head. The top pipe from the expansion tank attaches to the housing, which also has the large bore top radiator hose - there are 3 bolts which need a 10mm socket and a short extension. Don't overtighten them when you reassemble or you will crack the housing, the rubber around the thermostat will seal it easily enough. Also the rubber bit should be replaced when disturbed. However, mine hasn't leaked even after the 3rd disturbance - you need to clean up both mating surfaces of the housing and all the vrud off the rubber.

Have fun.

Remove the thermostat. Also watch it - if you have the bottom rad hose disconnected loads more coolant will come out when you do.

Located on the right hand side of the head. The top pipe from the expansion tank attaches to the housing, which also has the large bore top radiator hose - there are 3 bolts which need a 10mm socket and a short extension. Don't overtighten them when you reassemble or you will crack the housing, the rubber around the thermostat will seal it easily enough. Also the rubber bit should be replaced when disturbed. However, mine hasn't leaked even after the 3rd disturbance - you need to clean up both mating surfaces of the housing and all the vrud off the rubber.

Have fun.

anyone got the part number for this rubber around the thermostat? renault parts in MK are no more and I haven't got a copy of dialogs:dapprove: