ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Connecting Router To A LAN Feed?

Breaking A 172 Replica
At the moment I live in Uni halls. Each room gets an internet feed. It uses the LAN cable (is it CAT 5 or something?) so has a female LAN connection on the wall. At the moment the LAN cable goes straight from the connection on the wall into the PC. But if I were to get an IPOD touch or IPHONE, I'd want WIFI. So could I connect my wireless router, somehow, to the connection on the wall?

Breaking A 172 Replica
But a few people have said that Hornet (is that the ISP?) will not allow for that to happen so Admin will turn off my LAN feed? Is this b****cks or can they actually find out using some software?

Thanks

Sam

they can probably find out....................as every computer/device (iphone) has its own unique address (called a MAC Address)..........if they see more than one MAC address coming from your port they would know you're using a router i guess

cock mobile.
But a few people have said that Hornet (is that the ISP?) will not allow for that to happen so Admin will turn off my LAN feed? Is this b****cks or can they actually find out using some software?

Thanks

Sam

Technically they could find out quite easily if they wanted to.

You do NOT want a router though, your want a WAP (Wireless Access Point).

you probably need an access point with a built in switch then

id just use a router and set it to Access Point mode, so it has an input port and 4 additional ports to use for other things + the wireless

cock mobile.
As Jord says though, I do need to be able to connect my PC via a LAN cable?

Switch and WAP then technically is what you want; I'm sure you could get a router though tbh and just switch off the relevant "router" part.

Edit: yer what he said, beat me too it, ha

you probably need an access point with a built in switch then

id just use a router and set it to Access Point mode, so it has an input port and 4 additional ports to use for other things + the wireless

Chav Rocket
your uni will probably be set up to recognize the fact that you have multiple macs addresses on what should be a single port and automatically bar your access! worth a try though, i wouldnt connect more than 3 devices at once though (or in quick succession) as some setups will block if they just recieve 3 different addresses in a day (ghey i know!)

if it gets blocked just fess up and say you didnt realise it im sure they will just unlock ya!

See, I'd want a router.. then it all appears to be coming from one MAC address, AND you're firewalled from all the other people.

A router is the way IMO.

You effectively would have your own mini-network behind the main network. All your PCs would be nat'd behind it.. eaaaaaaasy.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
Hey Im selling my netgear wifi access point, this is what you want :) If your interested, £20 posted, its excellent condition. PM Me if your interested.

Cheers.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Use a Router - a Wireless access point will mean you run out of mac addresses (if this is how it is policed) to use. If you use a router you just register that devices mac address and everything else appears as that.

Use a Router - a Wireless access point will mean you run out of mac addresses (if this is how it is policed) to use. If you use a router you just register that devices mac address and everything else appears as that.

It's will also increase security. I wouldn't even DREAM of putting my laptop on a Uni network permenantly - you might as well just be on the internet! Heh.

RS 200

It's will also increase security. I wouldn't even DREAM of putting my laptop on a Uni network permenantly - you might as well just be on the internet! Heh.

I agree with the router, infact there are ones specifically designed for this such as this Travel Router: http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

Designed so people who regularly travel around staying in hotels etc can plug this into, usually the one network point presented and then connect more devices via the router.
The router will present 1 MAC to the uni network and then dish out its own IP's to your devices using DHCP, so via NAT your device IP's will not be seen by the rest of the uni network. This will be a whole lot more secure than just pluging into the network, just make sure you put a security password on the wireless too.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
See, I'd want a router.. then it all appears to be coming from one MAC address, AND you're firewalled from all the other people.

A router is the way IMO.

You effectively would have your own mini-network behind the main network. All your PCs would be nat'd behind it.. eaaaaaaasy.

Was just reading this thread...

Finally someone who posted GOOD advice !